Low stats, considering psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrypticRomantic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am not the best test taker so I have low stats--204 on the usmle step 1. Third year DO student.
Am I able to get into a psych residency if I apply broadly or am I stuck applying IM and FM?

Members don't see this ad.

See this: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd...Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Osteo.pdf

15/28 DO's matched with your step 1 score in 2018. The odds aren't in your favor since the average step 1 for DOs that did NOT match psych was 217. That said, it's not impossible if you can back your app up with an honors in psych and some research. Your chances of matching will go up at previously AOA residencies if you did better on COMLEX because they will care less about performance on USMLE.

If you decide against psych, you can apply community IM and community/university FM. Not worth wasting your money on university IM though.

Reactions: 1 users
You can prbly match low tier uni and former DO programs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will largely depend on the rest of your app, but I generally agree with the above. Chances are a little low, but do-able at the lesser competitive programs, again depending on the rest of your app.

Do you have any psych research or experience? Anything that demonstrates interest? How was your COMLEX for the sake of how former AOA/DO-predominant programs may view it? Is there anything that truly shows that you want psych versus feeling that you didn't score well enough and that this is a fall back? What did you want prior to getting your score(s) back? Do you have, or can you get strong LORs in psych?

Apply Psych. But be open to a back up. Clinic for me is basically 1/3rd psych related issues.

Reactions: 5 users
Will largely depend on the rest of your app, but I generally agree with the above. Chances are a little low, but do-able at the lesser competitive programs, again depending on the rest of your app.

Do you have any psych research or experience? Anything that demonstrates interest? How was your COMLEX for the sake of how former AOA/DO-predominant programs may view it? Is there anything that truly shows that you want psych versus feeling that you didn't score well enough and that this is a fall back? What did you want prior to getting your score(s) back? Do you have, or can you get strong LORs in psych?

I have research experience/publications but not in psych. COMLEX was in sub 450s...I wasn't sure what I wanted, still am confused between IM/FM, psych, or anesthesia so because of this nothing shows particular interest. I have one letter in psych so far and I am sure I can get good LORs since I do have good interest in the field and preceptors seem to give me good evals.

I have research experience/publications but not in psych. COMLEX was in sub 450s...I wasn't sure what I wanted, still am confused between IM/FM, psych, or anesthesia so because of this nothing shows particular interest. I have one letter in psych so far and I am sure I can get good LORs since I do have good interest in the field and preceptors seem to give me good evals.

Be aware that "good" evals don't always translate to great/strong LORs. You would need to ensure that these are in fact strong LORs to the best of your ability without being able to read them through myERAS.

I know someone who matched last year with a 403 and no step. They did however have a consistent interest in psych that was prevalent in the app, did 4 aways, had strong LORs to the point they were brought up during their interviews, one of which was from where he matched, which leads me into say that where he got the LOR/matched was where he auditioned in early fall. Even with the LOR and audition, he did not even get the invite until early January for a mid/late Jan IV. It was not their number 1, which also demonstrates that despite 4 auditions and strong LORs, it wasn't easy. End of the season were a total of about 10 IVs, mostly a new and former AOA programs.

Moral of the above point: it's possible, but it's risky. They applied FM as a backup. I would do the same in your situation (or community IM or both). Your scores are too low for anesthesia.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t apply any back up. Had a comlex 1 failure, retake over 500 and I’m sitting at 9 interviews and had 1 more offer.
I’m pretty sure I’ll match, but I think most of it comes from strong aways at a few programs. if you can pick some low tier programs to do rotations at and kick ass you won’t have an issue.
pick the one you’re least interested in first to figure out how to impress. You can match.
If you’re interested in IM/FM then absolutely apply to a back up. I just wasn’t.
you’re very very unlikely to be able to get anesthesia.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn’t apply any back up. Had a comlex 1 failure, retake over 500 and I’m sitting at 9 interviews and had 1 more offer.
I’m pretty sure I’ll match, but I think most of it comes from strong aways at a few programs. if you can pick some low tier programs to do rotations at and kick ass you won’t have an issue.
pick the one you’re least interested in first to figure out how to impress. You can match.
If you’re interested in IM/FM then absolutely apply to a back up. I just wasn’t.
you’re very very unlikely to be able to get anesthesia.
Thanks for the reality check. How many programs did you end up applying for?

Thanks for the reality check. How many programs did you end up applying for?
I applied to a stupid number of programs, 110. Basically anyone who accepted comlex, didn’t state must pass on first attempt, and wasn’t in California. Don’t do that. The shot gun approach only netted me the 1 interview I turned down. Every other interview was at places that I would have applied if I did half as many.

Reactions: 3 users
Also just to add on to what has already been said -- psych is getting more competitive, but not by board scores. Obviously since more people are applying to psych the average scores of applicants will trend towards the mean of the entire applicant pool, but you'd be surprised at how low some programs put their screening filter. They really look for your "commitment" to psych. Unlike other specialities, there are definitely things you can do to become more competitive (research, clinical rotations, volunteer, etc).

Last edited:
Echo the above. Psych is more competitive, however its not necessarily about board scores and if you land an interview then its your interview that will help or destroy you.

Reactions: 4 users
Echo the above. Psych is more competitive, however its not necessarily about board scores and if you land an interview then its your interview that will help or destroy you.
Psych has seen a "higher" increased in step score than most specialties. And I foresee it will become even more competitive.

You can't beat 270-300k/year plus great lifestyle and the ability to "uncouple" yourself easily with insurance companies (aka cash private practice)

Psych has seen a "higher" increased in step score than most specialties. And I foresee it will become even more competitive.

You can't beat 270-300k/year plus great lifestyle and the ability to "uncouple" yourself easily with insurance companies (aka cash private practice)
Yeah but it came from the bottom, so now it’s merely average. Your board scores don’t have to be great, they just can’t be terrible.

I applied to a stupid number of programs, 110. Basically anyone who accepted comlex, didn’t state must pass on first attempt, and wasn’t in California. Don’t do that. The shot gun approach only netted me the 1 interview I turned down. Every other interview was at places that I would have applied if I did half as many.
How many aways did you do? I’m applying for a reach specialty and gearing up for VSAS. Plan was 6 aways. 10 interview invites is impressive, your odds of matching go WAY up when you hit double digit interviews.

Like I said, it has also seen the largest increase in the sheer numbers of applicants and has yet to surpass that average board scores of the COMLEX and USMLE each year. This explains the gravitation of "competitiveness of scores" towards the mean of people accepted to residency in general.

Our school hosted a residency event last week and I directly spoke to a number of people working in residency program offices in my region. Cut offs used to filter out applications are ridiculously low -- huge academic centers using 210/450 and using things like research and/or volunteering in psych as qualifiers instead. We as applicants can only see averages of students accepted but the numbers we were presented had HUGE standard deviations (especially for COMLEX my god)

Last edited:
How many aways did you do? I’m applying for a reach specialty and gearing up for VSAS. Plan was 6 aways. 10 interview invites is impressive, your odds of matching go WAY up when you hit double digit interviews.
I did 4. 3 of them are my top 3. I’m usually not a confident person but I’m 98% sure I won’t drop past #3

Reactions: 2 users