DO Pediatrics - low step 2

Started by KBDO2024
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KBDO2024

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all - be gentle with me - it's my first time posting on here and I think I'm mostly looking for a bit of encouragement.

Similar to a few other posts I've seen recently, I am a DO student and hopeful pediatrics resident. I just got my step 2 score back yesterday and it was a 229 - significantly lower than my practice test scores and not representative of how I performed academically during the first two years of school. I'm feeling deflated to say the least. I don't have a Comlex score yet, though I did feel much better leaving that test compared to Step. I am wondering what this score means for me in terms of overall competitiveness. I was never aiming for CHOP or Boston Children's, but instead was hoping for input on programs like Geisinger, Penn State Hershey, U of Rochester, etc. I am a career-changer (studied French in undergrad and spent three years post-grad in finance), completed a post-bacc, and have devoted much of my free time in school to volunteer work. I performed either average or slightly above on all comat exams, have good marks from preceptors, and have had no red flags on my transcript. I feel as if I'm a well-rounded candidate with significant real world experience, but I truly don't know how to rebound from an exam that people claim could "make or break" my career. Does any of this real-person stuff matter with a sub-par boards score? I'm feeling the overwhelming heaviness of medicine right now.

If any kind soul of there has any input on those specific schools I mentioned (or any general wisdom), I am all ears. I am also wondering if anyone knows where we could find updated score requirements for specific programs? I'm not sure how accurate info on AAMC/Freida is since I've noticed a lot of the benefits/salary information has not been updated. Thanks to all in advance.
 
Read this thread
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You will definitely be fine lol. That’s a great score and the only reason you wouldn’t match *anywhere* is if you have some huge red flags or interview horribly.