low stats success stories??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long time lurker who just finished a master's degree to reinvent myself. This thread gives me hope. I have an undergrad sGPA 3.4; overall 3.3 GPA from my SMP is 3.67 and MCAT 510. Most of courses in the program were taught by some of the same faculty who teach at the med school. I want to go into primary care - IM or general peds. Even though I'm from the city, the state school I hope to go to has a focus on rural and primary care.

I have recent (this year) shadowing (75 hrs) and clinical experiences (525 hrs) with the VA and service tutoring in a low income school (250 hrs) and coaching a soccer team at the school (I started it after working with the kids). I also worked 30 hrs a week as a baker to help pay for my master's degree. Undergrad ECs are club soccer, soup kitchen, Children's Hospital volunteer. Admittedly these undergrad experiences were not really meaningful - I was checking boxes. I hope that my GPA and MCAT combo in the SMP will be what the adcom at my state school looks at.

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker who just finished a master's degree to reinvent myself. This thread gives me hope. I have an undergrad sGPA 3.4; overall 3.3 GPA from my SMP is 3.67 and MCAT 510. Most of courses in the program were taught by some of the same faculty who teach at the med school. I want to go into primary care - IM or general peds. Even though I'm from the city, the state school I hope to go to has a focus on rural and primary care.

I have recent (this year) shadowing (75 hrs) and clinical experiences (525 hrs) with the VA and service tutoring in a low income school (250 hrs) and coaching a soccer team at the school (I started it after working with the kids). I also worked 30 hrs a week as a baker to help pay for my master's degree. Undergrad ECs are club soccer, soup kitchen, Children's Hospital volunteer. Admittedly these undergrad experiences were not really meaningful - I was checking boxes. I hope that my GPA and MCAT combo in the SMP will be what the adcom at my state school looks at.

Those are not low stats. Those stats will get you into a DO program. Why do you think these are low stats?

Those are not low stats. Those stats will get you into a DO program. Why do you think these are low stats?
3.3 overall and 3.4 sGPA is low according to my premed adviser. Even with my master's GPA. I really want to go to one of the two MD schools in my state. The DO schools are new and I've heard not so great things about their clinical rotations. My preferred state MD school has a strong rural program but I'm not rural. I think I'll have some good clinical experiences because of this though.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 overall and 3.4 sGPA is low according to my premed adviser. Even with my master's GPA. I really want to go to one of the two MD schools in my state. The DO schools are new and I've heard not so great things about their clinical rotations. My preferred state MD school has a strong rural program but I'm not rural. I think I'll have some good clinical experiences because of this though.

You said you want primary care right? I think the DO philosophy is better suited towards primary care to begin with. If you want MD, you could probably still get into your state school with those stats but I don't understand why you say you want primary care and then say you want MD. Most MD's do not want to go into primary care.

@MedicineN'Jazz

You're one of the most inspirational people on here. Thanks! Good luck in med school (not sure if you started yet or not)

You said you want primary care right? I think the DO philosophy is better suited towards primary care to begin with. If you want MD, you could probably still get into your state school with those stats but I don't understand why you say you want primary care and then say you want MD. Most MD's do not want to go into primary care.

Not everyone wants to learn OMM dude...

Not every DO uses OMM dude

Yeah but it's still a pain to learn it. People still want to go the MD route due to research aspirations and things of that nature. Not every MD wants to do something other than primary care. That applicant could still very well want to pursue the MD over the DO even if he wants to go into primary care. It may not make a big DIFFERENCE to him, but he may still very well want to go the MD route.

Yeah but it's still a pain to learn it. People still want to go the MD route due to research aspirations and things of that nature. Not every MD wants to do something other than primary care. That applicant could still very well want to pursue the MD over the DO even if he wants to go into primary care. It may not make a big DIFFERENCE to him, but he may still very well want to go the MD route.

ok

Reactions: 1 user
3.02 cGPA, 3.05 sGPA, 515 MCAT, very non-trad reinventor. This was intended to be a diagnostic cycle, so I applied to 5 MD programs fully anticipating reapplying DO for 2020. I got an interview and subsequent rejection from my in-state school (rejections everywhere else) then found out 3 weeks that I was accepted to my IS's invite-only fully-paid postbacc - a conditional admission for 2020 if I can get a 3.25 or greater GPA on 1 full-time year of upper level bio and social sci classes. So when you see that 1% who get into MD programs with <3.1 GPA? That's me, apparently.

Reactions: 7 users
Maybe it's what you know and where you're from but I don't know any DOs and I've volunteered in a couple primary care clinics. These are for the underserved and one is run by the students at the medical school but there are all MDs there. A couple are IM but I think infectious disease because they work with HIV patients also. I realize they are not primary care but the geriatrician considers herself primary care and the other IM MDs are primary care. The MDs teach medical students and focus their research on preventive medicine and health disparities. This is at a big NIH funded academic medical center in the South. The Children's hospital has clinics in the city and in surrounding cities that only do primary care. I am working with one of the clinics to do health screenings at the school where I tutor and coach soccer and I've only encountered MDs.

It could just be what I've experienced but I would not say that "most MDs don't want to go into primary care". Low stats applicants shouldn't think that DO is the only path. It probably takes applying smartly and getting the MSAR. Maybe I have a narrow perspective because I am from a state where the DO schools are new and in rural parts of the state and both MD schools seem to like applicants who want to go into primary care because it is what our state needs.

Always important to remember that at the end of the day not a single person on here can tell you what's going to happen. Eventually you're just going to have to take a chance on it and do your best.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Always important to remember that at the end of the day not a single person on here can tell you what's going to happen. Eventually you're just going to have to take a chance on it and do your best.

Did you end up receiving an acceptance? Last I knew you were doing an SMP. Congrats man!

Had my pick of DO’s w a 3.5/505. If I could do it all over again i would have kicked younger me swiftly in the butt and told him to actually study for the MCAT before taking it :whistle: Got the 505 without taking a single physics course but ah well, hindsight and maturity is a bitch

Had my pick of DO’s w a 3.5/505. If I could do it all over again i would have kicked younger me swiftly in the butt and told him to actually study for the MCAT before taking it :whistle: Got the 505 without taking a single physics course but ah well, hindsight and maturity is a bitch
This smells vagely of humble brag

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
3.3sGPA and 507 MCAT. Got interviews at top 20 schools and Currently at a top 10 Med school. ORM.

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
504 MCAT...went to a small NY state school and graduated with a 3.9. Started college in 2009 and graduated in 2017 lol. After finishing first year at a mid tier school, I still worry that I might not make it but, thats my personal issue because clearly I can! I don't have MSAR anymore but I believe a 504 was like 2 points below the 10th percentile for my school. I applied to 30 MD schools and 20 DO schools. Lots of DO acceptances and 4 MD acceptances. It feels like a miracle!

Reactions: 4 users
Cured cancer?

Tbh, I’m not quite sure why. Lol. The whole application process is a mystery. I would say it’s because I had a cohesive application that is narrative focused. All of my activities and research and letters are confirming one another.

Reactions: 2 users
2.9 cgpa, 2.8 sgpa(including post bacc), 3.65 postbacc over 48 credits of science classes only. MCAT: 508
Couple retakes in there but most were new science classes. Applied to 8 schools and was accepted to 3 schools, waitlisted at 2. Didn’t get into IS school cause didn’t have my committee letter due to my mcat being too late, but got into a school just as great. Thankful to say it worked out. Shoutout to @Goro and all the stories that gave me inspiration to believe in my own abilities regardless of my past.

Reactions: 10 users
2.9 cgpa, 2.8 sgpa(including post bacc), 3.65 postbacc over 48 credits of science classes only. MCAT: 508
Couple retakes in there but most were new science classes. Applied to 8 schools and was accepted to 3 schools, waitlisted at 2. Didn’t get into IS school cause didn’t have my committee letter due to my mcat being too late, but got into a school just as great. Thankful to say it worked out. Shoutout to @Goro and all the stories that gave me inspiration to believe in my own abilities regardless of my past.

Would you mind sharing via PM what schools you got interviews and acceptances from?

I’m non traditional, so take my stats with a grain of salt; I have very unique experiences.

GPA: 3.3, SGPA: 3.1, MCAT:510
I attended 8 MD interviews, I didn’t apply DO.

Starting at a Top 10 school in July.

Can I PM you to ask what school?

@Goro is the real MVP. His guide to reinvention literally saved me. My undergrad pre-med advisor wasn’t spectacular.

I had a LizzyM of 62 (3.1 gpa) and still earned several DO and MD acceptances.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
@Goro is the real MVP. His guide to reinvention literally saved me. My undergrad pre-med advisor wasn’t spectacular.

I had a LizzyM of 62 (3.1 gpa) and still earned several DO and MD acceptances.

I honestly feel like life can easily get the best of young people. For instance in my case I spent my time working to support my mother and 3 younger siblings while trying to take full course loads straight out of high-school. Looking back on it the classes I failed were super easy compared to the classes I have aced since starting my reinvention. I just hope adcoms see the correlation and the trend.

I honestly feel like life can easily get the best of young people. For instance in my case I spent my time working to support my mother and 3 younger siblings while trying to take full course loads straight out of high-school. Looking back on it the classes I failed were super easy compared to the classes I have aced since starting my reinvention. I just hope adcoms see the correlation and the trend.

Couldn’t agree more.
High school was an absolute joke compared to balancing pre-med and D1 hoops. It took me 1.5 years to grow up and learn how to manage.

Couldn’t agree more.
High school was an absolute joke compared to balancing pre-med and D1 hoops. It took me 1.5 years to grow up and learn how to manage.

Exactly. I literally did not attend 50% of my classes due to work and family obligations and health issues before I began my reinvention journey. Since starting I have became quite selfish with my time and only focus on school. I feel terrible that I spend very little time with family and friends but I keep telling myself that this is what I need to do in order to provide for my family and be happy in a career.

Couldn’t agree more.

Just hoping that adcoms still consider myself reinvented even though I am not doing a post bacc rather than I am just finishing my degree with a very high upward trend of 4 semesters (Roughly 57 credit hours at a 3.89).

57 credits with a 3.9 gpa is no joke!! Sounds like your crushing it. Keep up the grind.

When you see stories like this, it's because people reinvent themselves, and they are to be applauded. No med school is doing anyone any favors by admitting people who are at risk for failing out.
:love:

You've done great. Now rock the MCAT!

My concern is that people have told me that ADCOMS will not see my reinvetion since it is all technically in my "senior year" and not a post bacc. Is this true @Goro

My concern is that people have told me that ADCOMS will not see my reinvetion since it is all technically in my "senior year" and not a post bacc. Is this true @Goro

Wondering the same as I'm in the same boat. I couldn't afford a post-bacc, as my scholarship would only pay for my classes as long as I didn't have a degree already. So instead of graduating, I just did somewhat of super-senior semesters.

Wondering the same as I'm in the same boat. I couldn't afford a post-bacc, as my scholarship would only pay for my classes as long as I didn't have a degree already. So instead of graduating, I just did somewhat of super-senior semesters.
Generally, a single strong SR year is not enough of a data point to prove reinvention, unless the trough of the V-shaped curve was in JR year, and FR and SO were strong.

Generally, a single strong SR year is not enough of a data point to prove reinvention, unless the trough of the V-shaped curve was in JR year, and FR and SO were strong.

So does that mean that if someone has a lot of credits that if the 57 credits of 3.89 GPA is all at the end that ADCOMS wouldn’t see it?

My upward trend began at the end of my sophomore year and I'm in the middle of my senior year, but my sGPA is still 3.1-3.2. At the end of this semester, I'll have had 70 credits of all As and 1 B+, half of which were upper level science credits.

Last edited:
My upward trend began at the end of my sophomore year and I'm in the middle of my senior year, but my sGPA is still 3.1-3.2. At the end of this semester, I'll have had 70 credits of all As and 1 B+, half of which were upper level science credits.

It’s not about the GPA. 70 credits is outstanding!

I am doing similar, can I pm you about schools?

Hihi!! CONGRATS! Would it be ok if I also PMd you about the schools?!