low stats success stories??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
definitely was against the odds, at least on paper... but with my persistence maybe a sure thing? ... 😎

I'm looking for staff positions right now.... yikes .... graduate residency this June.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the contrary, an MD/PhD acceptance with an LM under 70 is absolutely beating the mean. Congratulations!
Still derailing the thread in my opinion. The whole point of naming this thread “low stats success stories” was to give people with lower stats hope, i.e. low/sub 500’s or GPA’s barely hovering above 3.0

The first 100 posts or so reflect that. Newer posts boasting MCATs above 506 don’t
 
Still derailing the thread in my opinion. The whole point of naming this thread “low stats success stories” was to give people with lower stats hope, i.e. low/sub 500’s or GPA’s barely hovering above 3.0

The first 100 posts or so reflect that. Newer posts boasting MCATs above 506 don’t
I don't think gatekeeping "low stats" because they aren't low enough helps anyone or gives anyone more hope. They were below average numbers-wise for the program to which they applied, there's no reason to attack them (or me) because of that
 
I don't think gatekeeping "low stats" because they aren't low enough helps anyone or gives anyone more hope. They were below average numbers-wise for the program to which they applied, there's no reason to attack them (or me) because of that
Perceive it as an attack if you wish
 
LM 64 shot my shot and here we are. Veteran status and my military accomplishments were a big contribution to my success imo.

Feel free to PM me.
 
Oh also people can DM me if they have any super in depth Q’s!

I think my LM was around 63.

@sparkysparkyboomman Trying to message you but its not letting me. We have identical stats and backgrounds and I have a few questions.

Thank you for your time, its greatly appreciated.


By the way, I'm getting this error for some reason:
"You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: sparkysparkyboomman."

I think your account settings don't let me DM you but I'm not sure.
 
3.02 cGPA, 3.05 sGPA, 515 MCAT, very non-trad reinventor. This was intended to be a diagnostic cycle, so I applied to 5 MD programs fully anticipating reapplying DO for 2020. I got an interview and subsequent rejection from my in-state school (rejections everywhere else) then found out 3 weeks that I was accepted to my IS's invite-only fully-paid postbacc - a conditional admission for 2020 if I can get a 3.25 or greater GPA on 1 full-time year of upper level bio and social sci classes. So when you see that 1% who get into MD programs with <3.1 GPA? That's me, apparently.
Can I ask which school or state?
 
Recently did an apple podcast on The DoctorGoals. High school dropout-->homeless-->CC dropout-->homeless-->terrible GPA/MCAT-->reapplicant-->third year MD student. Learned to avoid this website but did receive a few motivating tips from people on here back in my younger days. Good luck, and never let anyone tell you that you can't do something.

fellow high school drop out checking in! Good to see someone else has made it out.
 
I am active duty military with 7 years in, 10,000 hours of paid clinical experience both civilian and military, I was a professional musician for a few years, I have some publications, I had a couple interesting hobbies on my app, and I had a 519 MCAT with a 4.0 postbacc. I also put a long time between my app and all those crappyrf grades, which I think helped a lot.
lol po
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.2 gpa 503 mcat reapplicant 3 DO acceptances and 2 MD waitlists. Being persistent is always helpful and things will work out, not always on the time frame that we want them to, but sooner or later they will. As mentioned earlier, mine was more of a reinvention route.
May I ask where you applied? I have similar gpa and 509 MCAT
 
Hi Nesstastic, could you please PM me the schools you applied to? I have the exact same cGPA.
3.37 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, 507 MCAT, 4 DO IIs, 1 acceptance! (Withdrew my app pre-decision from the other 3 because my A was one of my top choices). I hope someone is browsing this thread and finds some encouragement!