Low step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypertension

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for an applicant to get ophthalmology interviews given the following? My step 1 score was <210. But my step 2 score was >270.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. Particularly if the rest of the application is competitive (letters, research etc.).

Is it possible for an applicant to get ophthalmology interviews if their step 1 score is less than a 210, but if their Step 2 score is >270?

>270 on your Step 2? Congratulations. I think you'll be OK. And yeah, like Msta said - rest of app should be competitive..

Members don't see this ad :)
For an applicant who has a Step 1 score between 200-210, when is the best time to take Step 2 so that the score can be considered by programs when they look at residency applications? Is taking Step 2 at the end of July too late?

Thank you for your help!

mdapp06

Last edited:
Is it possible for an applicant to get ophthalmology interviews if their step 1 score is less than a 210, but if their Step 2 score is >270?

Is this what really happened or a hypothetical?

It is great that you would score so well step 2, but your interviewers will wonder what happened in step 1. Because your step 2 is so high, they know you have potential to do well on standardized tests, but you should have a good reason why your step 1 is so low in comparison.

Yes I did get greater than a 270 on step 2. I just started working super hard and found the clinical aspects of medicine more interesting than step 1 material.