Low uGPA but pretty good sGPA postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spikebd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to DO and MD schools this year but I have a pretty low uGPA. I was a finance major in college and graduated with a 3.1 gpa, not many science classes at all. I'm doing a postbac (which is difficult) and am currently at a 3.45 sGPA after 28 credits. I have 16 more to go but I will be finished after I take physics this summer. I'm doing really well in genetics and bioanalytical chemistry this semester, so far both A's.
I am taking the MCAT this summer too, so I will send in an app a little bit late, I'll probably be complete by early September. Anyway, does it look like I'll stand a good chance of getting in some place this next app cycle? I might be too early since I don;t have an MCAT score or practice range yet. Just hate having this low GPA.
Ochem TA this semester
ED Volunteer 1+ years
Special Olympics volunteer 1 year
I cook at a restaurant, been doing that for almost 3 years.
Spent a year studying abroad in Italy
And I am CNA certified but still need to turn that in to a job somehow

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT score is strong, you will have a good shot at DO schools. MD schools will be a safer shot if you can get your post-bac GPA up at leaset above a 3.6 (I didn't do the math, so that may or may not be possible). But that postbac GPA needs to go up as much as it can at this point.

If you're taking the MCAT this summer, I would get your application finished and verified (which you can do without an MCAT score). September is a little on the late side for applications....you ideally want to get everything done before the end of August.

A 3.4 is not good for a post-bacc as the previous poster stated the bare minimum is a 3.5 and typically you want > 3.6

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.4 is not good for a post-bacc as the previous poster stated the bare minimum is a 3.5 and typically you want > 3.6

Yea I don't feel good about that. I'm trying to correct it. Thankfully Organic Chemistry I and II are over with. With a 3.5/3.6 I hope to have a chance at some MD schools. But at this point it doesn't matter much until I get my MCAT scores...

Are my EC's ok for now?

Are my EC's ok for now?

Your EC's look OK. Not bad. Lots of volunteering, I suppose I can be picky and say that you need more clinical volunteering (how many estimated hours did you volunteer at the ED?), and definitely some research experience would be nice. However you do have a lot of stuff down, so the aforementioned shouldn't hold you back too much. Cheer up! Be optimistic :thumbup: