Low undergrad and grad GPA, 29 MCAT - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilanon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I've been lurking, but I finally recently joined as a member. I tried searching before posting, but I couldn't find anyone who messed up both their undergrad and grad GPA. I feel pretty alone. Here are my numbers:

Undergrad cGPA: 3.4
Undergrad sGPA: 3.2
Master's GPA: 3.0 (in hindsight, realize it was a mistake to do the master's when I wasn't ready)
MCAT: 29, retook in June, waiting on scores

I'm choosing to wait until I find out my June MCAT scores before sending out apps because I don't want to submit yet if my retake is terrible. However, that means I'll be nearly 2 months behind early June submitters if I do submit at that time. I'm considering delaying a year to strengthen my credentials and to allow me to submit ASAP next cycle, especially because my stats aren't impressive.

If I don't like my retake, is a third MCAT worth the effort? Is there anything I can do as far as ECs to help? I have done some volunteering and shadowing, but it's nothing mind-blowing. I've also been working in a lab for the past several years, so I'll be applying as a non-trad.

Am I so screwed that there is nothing I can do to improve my chances at more schools between now and the next application cycle? I'm planning on applying to both M.D. and D.O. I realize that M.D. schools will be less likely to give me any love. I'm really hoping there is something I can do to improve my chances at both programs. However, I also don't want to be unrealistic. What are my chances at M.D. and D.O.? Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve them? I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I've been lurking, but I finally recently joined as a member. I tried searching before posting, but I couldn't find anyone who messed up both their undergrad and grad GPA. I feel pretty alone. Here are my numbers:

Master's GPA: 3.0 (in hindsight, realize it was a mistake to do the master's when I wasn't ready)

I'm choosing to wait until I find out my June MCAT scores before sending out apps because I don't want to submit yet if my retake is terrible. However, that means I'll be nearly 2 months behind early June submitters if I do submit at that time. I'm considering delaying a year to strengthen my credentials and to allow me to submit ASAP next cycle, especially because my stats aren't impressive.

If I don't like my retake, is a third MCAT worth the effort? Is there anything I can do as far as ECs to help? I have done some volunteering and shadowing, but it's nothing mind-blowing. I've also been working in a lab for the past several years, so I'll be applying as a non-trad.

Am I so screwed that there is nothing I can do to improve my chances at more schools between now and the next application cycle? I'm planning on applying to both M.D. and D.O. I realize that M.D. schools will be less likely to give me any love. I'm really hoping there is something I can do to improve my chances at both programs. However, I also don't want to be unrealistic. What are my chances at M.D. and D.O.? Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve them? I'd really appreciate it!

+ Clinical hours, + Shadowing, + Non-Clinical ECs w/ leadership and teamwork, +Graduate Post-Bacc credits, +MCAT in May 2013 and + Research (if needed). +Be Positive And Focus On Others.

Maybe apply to low tiers and DO this cycle, and apply broadly MD and DO next cycle.

That 3.0 masters is going to really hurt your chances. Adcoms are not going to look favorably on that misstep. Be prepared to write or explain it since it doesn't bode well for your abilities to handle graduate level studies like medical school. Apply to DO schools broadly and early.

Good luck.

FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine '16
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize my stats are pretty low, so I appreciate you guys not telling me to just quit already! Thanks for all the suggestions, alexrgross. I'll definitely be keeping them in mind.

And yeah, Ironmandoc, I was afraid of that. Although I know I could've done better, I realize that I haven't proven to adcoms that I can. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to go about proving I can handle med school because I already ruined my option of completing a master's with a great GPA after my blah undergrad. :( If anyone has any idea on how to go about this, it would be great!

Looks like I have more thinking to do. Thanks again for your help guys!

Which schools are considered "lower tiers"? I am curious

+ Clinical hours, + Shadowing, + Non-Clinical ECs w/ leadership and teamwork, +Graduate Post-Bacc credits, +MCAT in May 2013 and + Research (if needed). +Be Positive And Focus On Others.

Maybe apply to low tiers and DO this cycle, and apply broadly MD and DO next cycle.

Do some research. Visit school sites and find out what the average gpa/mcat scores are and see which school fits you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

For the MD schools, even with a high MCAT, I don't think you'll have much luck, even with the low tiers like Rosy Franklin or NYMC. You're fine for any DO school, including mine. Start shadowing some DOs, you'll need the experience for interviews.

For the MD schools, even with a high MCAT, I don't think you'll have much luck, even with the low tiers like Rosy Franklin or NYMC. You're fine for any DO school, including mine. Start shadowing some DOs, you'll need the experience for interviews.

Soooo...I'm not saying to count on anything but I had a friend with almost identical stats to yours. 3.2 undergrad, 3.2 grad (with academic probation first semester), 31 on MCAT. She applied on the last possible day to submit a primary as well and was interviewed at Texas Tech and UTSA, accepted to UTSA. Your state school may take you.

This is the same logic as "that guy won the Lotto, so I can too".

Soooo...I'm not saying to count on anything but I had a friend with almost identical stats to yours. 3.2 undergrad, 3.2 grad (with academic probation first semester), 31 on MCAT. She applied on the last possible day to submit a primary as well and was interviewed at Texas Tech and UTSA, accepted to UTSA. Your state school may take you.

Hi Goro, I have shadowed one D.O. so far here and there over several months. I work full-time, so it's been difficult to be able to shadow. Should I try to fit in some other D.O.s? If so, do D.O. adcoms care what field the D.O. is in?

Hi cloverpie. I appreciate you trying to give me some hope when it can sometimes feel hopeless. :) I will remain realistic about my chances, but I do plan on applying to my state school.

...deleted bc not much luck with my latest questions here, but don't want to be double-posting

Last edited: