Low Undergrad GPA- Any Suggestion Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wowendy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a recently graduating senior with biology in UC school.

I have a very low gpa- culmulative: 3.02/ science: 2.98 right now.
So I am thinking about re-taking the major science classes like Biochemistry or Genetics with C+ or lower in Community College. But would that necessarily make my application look better?

Have just few EC and have not taken MCAT yet. Planning to take a gap year or two before I apply.

Please Please comment any suggestion for my low gpa... I am in the desperate and nowhere situation right now...

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would only retake classes that you got a D in. Without grade replacement you’re better served taking new upper division biology courses and getting As in them the first time around. These can be harder to find at community colleges though.

I would do that part time while working part time in pretty much any patient contact job you can find. Start padding your ECs and patient contact hours now. Try to find physicians to shadow who could write you a LOR.

It’s not impossible but you have no room for error here on out and your timeline may end up being longer than expected.

Reactions: 1 user
Retaking in community college will not do anything for you. If you can score 510+ on the MCAT, you can still get into DO schools. If not, I would recommend taking classes that you have not already taken in a DIY postbac at a 4 year institution, or apply for a medical school linked masters program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get the science above 3.0 otherwise you will be screened out. Then prove yourself in upper level courses or an SMP and destroy the MCAT.

Source: I was in your shoes at one point

Hi, I am a recently graduating senior with biology in UC school.

I have a very low gpa- culmulative: 3.02/ science: 2.98 right now.
So I am thinking about re-taking the major science classes like Biochemistry or Genetics with C+ or lower in Community College. But would that necessarily make my application look better?

Have just few EC and have not taken MCAT yet. Planning to take a gap year or two before I apply.

Please Please comment any suggestion for my low gpa... I am in the desperate and nowhere situation right now...

Thank you in advance!
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Retaking in community college will not do anything for you. If you can score 510+ on the MCAT, you can still get into DO schools. If not, I would recommend taking classes that you have not already taken in a DIY postbac at a 4 year institution, or apply for a medical school linked masters program.
Thank you! So post-bacc would be the best option. But is taking program in the high-ranked university necessarily better?

I would only retake classes that you got a D in. Without grade replacement you’re better served taking new upper division biology courses and getting As in them the first time around. These can be harder to find at community colleges though.

I would do that part time while working part time in pretty much any patient contact job you can find. Start padding your ECs and patient contact hours now. Try to find physicians to shadow who could write you a LOR.

It’s not impossible but you have no room for error here on out and your timeline may end up being longer than expected.
Thank you for the comment! It is really helpful :)

Get the science above 3.0 otherwise you will be screened out. Then prove yourself in upper level courses or an SMP and destroy the MCAT.

Source: I was in your shoes at one point
I am glad there is a way at least.... ;( how long did it take for you to get into the grad school?