Low undergraduate GPA, currently in a Master's program. Should I also do a post-bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graceful1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So during my undergraduate career my family had a lot of financial hardships and I had to work. This unfortunate circumstance took an emotional toll on me and it made an impact on my grades. I ended up graduating with an overall 2.86 gpa and around a 2.6 science gpa. I majored in biology and psychology. I am currently enrolled in a Master's program majoring in Microbiology and Immunology. I am hoping to graduate with a 3.7 gpa. I also plan on retaking my DATs. My question is should I do a post-bacc program? Is there something else that I can do to increase my chances of gaining acceptance into a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Post-Bacc programs are for people who don't want to do a master's degree. If you will have a master's soon, there isn't any purpose behind a post bacc.

My advice would be just knock your DAT out of the park.

Reactions: 1 user
After your master's program, what do you think your overall and science GPAs will be? If they're above 3.0, and you KILL your DATs, I think you have a shot at some schools. Make sure to explain your hardships on your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
After your master's program, what do you think your overall and science GPAs will be? If they're above 3.0, and you KILL your DATs, I think you have a shot at some schools. Make sure to explain your hardships on your application.

Well I did a GPA calculation and if I were to continue getting A's in my master's program I would graduate with a 3.7 gpa. I think should raise my science GPA to a 3.0 or above.

have you taken your DAT yet? what were your previous scores like? i would aim for at least 22+ on your DAT to help offset your undergrad GPA even with a high masters GPA

So during my undergraduate career my family had a lot of financial hardships and I had to work. This unfortunate circumstance took an emotional toll on me and it made an impact on my grades. I ended up graduating with an overall 2.86 gpa and around a 2.6 science gpa. I majored in biology and psychology. I am currently enrolled in a Master's program majoring in Microbiology and Immunology. I am hoping to graduate with a 3.7 gpa. I also plan on retaking my DATs. My question is should I do a post-bacc program? Is there something else that I can do to increase my chances of gaining acceptance into a dental school?

which master school are you attending? I'm currently in the same situation. My overall GPA is 2.93 and I am looking for possible master school suggestion.

Familiarize yourself with the programs that screen people out of interviews based on gpa cut-offs. I know people that performed well in grad school and still got screened out due to undergrad blunders.

I wouldn't do a post-bacc and I would instead aim to get a 21+ on the DAT with consistent scores across the sections. Also, make sure the rest of your application is great! Good LORs, extracurriculars, shadowing experiences, personal statement, etc. I was in your shoes, did a master's, got a 21AA, and I've received 4 interviews and 1 acceptance so far this cycle :) feel free to PM me if you want anymore advice