lower tier schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williamChenry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any lower tier schools that can be real forgiving to early undergrad grades?

Members don't see this ad.

williamChenry said:
are there any lower tier schools that can be real forgiving to early undergrad grades?

Depends how bad we are talking, and what you accomplish subsequent to them. Lots of nontrads who had lackluster undergrads are able to transition back to medicine after an impressive career or other accolades elsewhere, but it tends to require a substantial amount of postbac work in teh sciences for A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I was at 3.0 after my first year, then the 2nd year , towards the beginning-middle of the semester, I had to start working more for financial reasons, so I decided to withdraw and continue next semester, ...well what I didn't find out until the end of the semester was that 3 of the 4 teachers I had felt it was too late to withdraw and gave me F's..and only one of them gave me a W....so 3 F's probably does hell to 3.0, but it is partly my fault because I should have found out each teachers policy on withdrawals.

I'm currently retaking those courses I got the F's in and doing well,..I just started taking my General Chemistry this semester, getting an A so far, and taking Physics in the summer....so any advice ? I'm willing to do a DO school, but I feel an MD school would give me greater options working around the area I live, New York.

williamChenry said:
Well I was at 3.0 after my first year, then the 2nd year , towards the beginning-middle of the semester, I had to start working more for financial reasons, so I decided to withdraw and continue next semester, ...well what I didn't find out until the end of the semester was that 3 of the 4 teachers I had felt it was too late to withdraw and gave me F's..and only one of them gave me a W....so 3 F's probably does hell to 3.0, but it is partly my fault because I should have found out each teachers policy on withdrawals.

I'm currently retaking those courses I got the F's in and doing well,..I just started taking my General Chemistry this semester, getting an A so far, and taking Physics in the summer....so any advice ? I'm willing to do a DO school, but I feel an MD school would give me greater options working around the area I live, New York.
DO is probably your best shot short term. If you really want an MD, a master's or post bacc of ~2 years would probably be required.

One other thought - schools work on "petitions" if you have some valid and compelling reason why you had to drop out of school - you can petition the Dean to have those F's converted to W's. You may also be able to talk to the individual teachers to get the F's converted into incompletes. I would try to get those OFF your transcript, and if you can't do that, THEN deal with what to do. Good luck!

also...you might want to try and nail the MCAT. A great score will make any school atleast consider your case.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Flopotomist said:
One other thought - schools work on "petitions" if you have some valid and compelling reason why you had to drop out of school - you can petition the Dean to have those F's converted to W's. You may also be able to talk to the individual teachers to get the F's converted into incompletes. I would try to get those OFF your transcript, and if you can't do that, THEN deal with what to do. Good luck!

This sounds like your best bet. Fight this fight tooth and claw.

If you fail, then go MD and DO on your application. I can only assume you were given some form of academic probation with that many F's?

If so, AMCAS will allow you 1325 characters (at least that's how many last year) to explain the situation, have a dynamite excuse ready. Then double explain it in your Personal Statement. You might get a couple of interviews. Be ready to defend it there.

You're at a low odds point right now, but you've got a shot. I'd take it.

Flopotomist said:

This is exactly what I would do.

williamChenry said:

Not D's or F's.

OSUdoc08 said:
Not D's or F's.
I know someone in a mid-tier med school who had a full-out F (with no real excuse); another who had a couple of D's(also no real excuse). But their overall GPAs were decent. You're right though: multiple F's and you'll probably get into trouble.

SuperTrooper said:
I know someone in a mid-tier med school who had a full-out F (with no real excuse); another who had a couple of D's(also no real excuse). But their overall GPAs were decent. You're right though: multiple F's and you'll probably get into trouble.

It's likely that those with D's & F's had a compensatory MCAT.