Lowest GPA getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. I see all these people with 3.8's and 3.9's on this board. But what are some of the low GPA's that you know about for people getting into med schools? I know MCATs make up for low GPA's, but I'm curious to just hear about some low GPA success stories.

Which schools are more lenient about accepting people with low GPA's?

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldnt know what schools besides Finch ;)

but ive read stories of ppl with 3.3's and 3.2's

2.89...but I really "aced" the pre-med requirements in post-bacc when I decided to go to medical school. And I did "all right" on the MCAT with a 29.

Most of my low GPA was a result of bad grades early in my educational career.

I applied to LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport and was accepted to both.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know from websites that GPA ranges are fairly wide. U of Chicago: 2.85-4.0 Also, in the latest 2003-2004 AAMC MSAR, it has a great graph representing # appl., #accept, #rej for individual MCAT section scores, overall score, cum GPA, science GPA, age,...you name it, the book reports it.

One very interesting fact I gathered from the book, OVERALL MCAT scores ranged from 5 (not joking!) to 42 (no one received a perfect score), Low GPA of below a 2.5, and other neat stuff.

Take what you want from this info.:)

One of my really good friends is applying with a 2.1 GPA yeah, science and cumulative... really sucks eh? but she's one of the most confident women I have ever met! she is actually hoping to make it into the carribbean and is applying to Howard too....
I told her to apply to Spartan... apparently it's the easiest in the carribean (I think.. not sure) someone told me you just need a grade 10 education?!?!? *&^t!

anyvayzzzzz I've heard of people getting in with a 3.0, but they built huts in Africa or did something REALLY impressive.....

Then go build huts in Africa!! Come on everybody!:laugh:

I think they would prefer houses

Just a clarification: 42 may have been the highest score possible on the MCAT some years. Verbal has been scored as 13-15 as the highest mark for a couple of years and I think sometimes 14 is the highest on the other two categories, it all just depends on the distribution for that particular year. I think for the August test the highest score was 43-45. If I'm mistaken on this someone please correct me.

At www.ApplyToMedSchool.com they have a database that has the minimum accepted GPA for several of the schools. Most schools do not publish their minimum GPA or MCAT

Originally posted by ocean11
One of my really good friends is applying with a 2.1 GPA yeah, science and cumulative... really sucks eh? but she's one of the most confident women I have ever met!

i think the word you're looking for is "over-confident"