Lowest GPA/MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jturpin4

EKU Pre-OT '10
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the lowest GPA and MCAT you have seen or had that got accepted into Podiatry School?

Members don't see this ad.

jturpin4 said:
What is the lowest GPA and MCAT you have seen or had that got accepted into Podiatry School?

I cannot help myself but post this....

there is a student with a 14 that got in but if you look at averages that is not the norm and it was 3 years ago that the student entered.

jturpin4 said:

I got a 19L and 20L, however my 3.8GPA was the major drive in my acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just below a 3.0 but 30P MCAT so you can deff offset a low GPA

I have not even taken the MCAT and have below a 3.0 GPA...and was accepted everywhere. I do have a lot of other things on my side though...Im a competitive athlete and was all through college, I volunteer many hours/week for various non-profits, I have a very obvious and genuine passion for the profession, and I have great letters of rec from great DPMs whom I shadowed monthly for 6+months before applying. I really think that each situation is different and one's acceptance is dependent upon many variables - not just test scores and GPA.

TeamSkene's said:
Just below a 3.0 but 30P MCAT so you can deff offset a low GPA

runnersfeet said:
I have not even taken the MCAT and have below a 3.0 GPA...and was accepted everywhere. I do have a lot of other things on my side though...Im a competitive athlete and was all through college, I volunteer many hours/week for various non-profits, I have a very obvious and genuine passion for the profession, and I have great letters of rec from great DPMs whom I shadowed monthly for 6+months before applying. I really think that each situation is different and one's acceptance is dependent upon many variables - not just test scores and GPA.

Hey Runnersfeet,

What day did you interview at Scholl? Did you interview with someone else that day?

Just Curious, because I interviewed with one person that sounds similar to you.

Thanks.

I interviewed back in mid-November, but I was the only potential pod student interviewing that day. I loved just about everything about Scholl, its definitely a great school. I think that many people get in to pod schools with lower GPAs and test scores who can demonstrate somehow that they will be very successful in this profession. So, I guess to clarify my overall opinion on this subject, I am not saying that I do poorly in school and that those who do should still be accepted into pod school - rather, I just know from first hand experience that there are very good and valid reasons that can justify a low GPA and I believe that those people deserve a chance to do succeed in their career of choice. :)

doclm said:
Hey Runnersfeet,

What day did you interview at Scholl? Did you interview with someone else that day?

Just Curious, because I interviewed with one person that sounds similar to you.

Thanks.

runnersfeet said:
I interviewed back in mid-November, but I was the only potential pod student interviewing that day. I loved just about everything about Scholl, its definitely a great school. I think that many people get in to pod schools with lower GPAs and test scores who can demonstrate somehow that they will be very successful in this profession. So, I guess to clarify my overall opinion on this subject, I am not saying that I do poorly in school and that those who do should still be accepted into pod school - rather, I just know from first hand experience that there are very good and valid reasons that can justify a low GPA and I believe that those people deserve a chance to do succeed in their career of choice. :)

just curious, I interviewed with one other girl some Friday in the middle of Nov. She got accepted and did not take the MCAT. So I remembered seeing your acceptance posts around Nov and was wondering by chance if you where the same person I was thinking of.

It sounds like you interviewed with a group of others.

Thanks for replying back to me.

No prob. I interviewed at Oakland and AZPOD with a group of people. However, at Scholl there were potential MD students interviewing while I was there, but no other pod applicants.

doclm said:
just curious, I interviewed with one other girl some Friday in the middle of Nov. She got accepted and did not take the MCAT. So I remembered seeing your acceptance posts around Nov and was wondering by chance if you where the same person I was thinking of.

It sounds like you interviewed with a group of others.

Thanks for replying back to me.

whiskers said:
No wonder...

Goof off in undergrad, who cares, you can always do podiatry!

Lol, even most of the caribbean medical schools have higher standards than this!!!!

No wonder some are so defensive about the old test issue... It's the only way to survive!!!!!

And then some wonder, "what's wrong with podiatry?"

I'll tell you, low performance and low expectations seem to come to mind from this thread. Then those former low acheivers get a few old tests and "presto" they become academic gurus overnight!!!!

Is a 14 even possible on the MCAT??? Some people score that on one subject!

Where are the standards in this profession? I mean, how low can the bar go?

And we want to talk about research????? haha. OK.

Just curious as to how you believe these people pass the boards?

whiskers said:
Just curious,

Did the ones who didn't get into the scholl medical program stay for the podiatry interviews?

It's my opinion that if a candidate couldn't get into a medical school.... and we as a profession want to be on par with the medical programs..... we should NOT be taking 14 MCATS or no MCAT and and other gross academic and personal "no-nos" who wouldn't even be let into a medical school interview.

Compassion aside, it taints the profession and really looks pathetic while letting free reign to academic misfits who further contribute to the already seemingly low standards of the profession!

And then when highly qualified prospective candidates see all of this, they flee! Leaving our profession grasping onto 14 MCATs and GPAs<3.0 as thier students of necessity.

It's a vicious cycle that I hope discountinues soon... for the profession's sake.

All you have to do is look at the average MCAT's and GPA's of the schools to know that your statements are WAY OFF (nothing new for you :laugh: )

After further consideration, I have to retract my opinion on my previous post. I put my big foot into my mouth.

Being a physician/surgeon/podiatrist is so much more than grades.

Personally, I am very proud that our profession has the "balls" to give individuals a chance, even though some number said "don't."

Medicine is so much more than numbers and grades.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this forum.

Regardless of my personal axes to grind with certain aspects of the profession, be VERY proud of your personal accomplishments and please, disregard my ignorant remark.

Getting into Podiatry school IS an accomplishment.

whiskers said:
Just curious,

Did the ones who didn't get into the scholl medical program stay for the podiatry interviews?

It's my opinion that if a candidate couldn't get into a medical school.... and we as a profession want to be on par with the medical programs..... we should NOT be taking 14 MCATS or no MCAT and and other gross academic and personal "no-nos" who wouldn't even be let into a medical school interview.

Compassion aside, it taints the profession and really looks pathetic while letting free reign to academic misfits who further contribute to the already seemingly low standards of the profession!

And then when highly qualified prospective candidates see all of this, they flee! Leaving our profession grasping onto 14 MCATs and GPAs<3.0 as thier students of necessity.

It's a vicious cycle that I hope discountinues soon... for the profession's sake.

I think the people who cannot comply with the academic demand of the education to become successful medical professionals will be forced to drop out. Just like any other schooling, I bet you can find a direct correlation between "academic scores" and "retension rates." However, I am sure you will find those people who did really bad in undergrad, score high in a medical program that interests them. Obviously, there will be those students who don't do well in undergrad or professional school regardless. Generally, what people get out of an education all depends on how much work they put into their classes.

whiskers said:
After further consideration, I have to retract my opinion on my previous post. I put my big foot into my mouth.

Being a physician/surgeon/podiatrist is so much more than grades.

Personally, I am very proud that our profession has the "balls" to give individuals a chance, even though some number said "don't."

Medicine is so much more than numbers and grades.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this forum.

Regardless of my personal axes to grind with certain aspects of the profession, be VERY proud of your personal accomplishments and please, disregard my ignorant remark.

Getting into Podiatry school IS an accomplishment.

Are you bi-polar, schitzo, did some-one steal your password, or were you tryingto scare people away so you could have abetter shot of making it? :confused: :eek:

I was 10 years out of undergraduate (Grades sucked...2.7, but that is what happens when you work and don't attend classes). Got a 31 on the MCAT first time I took it (considering school in the mid 90's). In '99 got a 30 on it (took the test cold--didn't bother to study as I was told I'd be accepted with a 17 or better).

John

ive been with my class for over a week and the lowest i heard was a 21