lowest MCAT acceptance stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockaway

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just a curiosity..anyone hear stories re: people who were accepted with MCAT scores below the national average? I know of a 3rd year med student whose score (and this I know is a fact, he's my cousin) was a 20, granted he did have a really good overall application...just wondering

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 29 and nothing yet!

(i'm applying next year) ;)

Did you apply? A 29 is not a bad score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not do poorly, but one of my subscores was low...11V 8PS 11BS WR-S. The frustrating part is that on practice tests, I was actually scoring BETTER in PS than in the others...but during the exam, I became so caught up in the drama of it, that genius me lost track of time and panicked. As a result I didn't even get to three passages!

Despite the low subscore, I've been accepted to UConn, and I've been granted interviews at Yale, Columbia, and Cornell, among others. Just goes to show you that this test is definitely not the do-all end-all of med school admissions! :cool:

I'm sorry, but those scores are nothing to cry about! I know of someone who got in w/ a 21. A 29???!!! Cry me a freakin river! lol :)

Wow, finally some hope.
I thought that I was out of the game, but now I have even more hope to go on. And he's right 29 is nothing to cry about, it is really good.

Where are these places that people get in with low MCAT scores? It would be worth it to post them, so that others who do have low MCAT's have realistic places that might accept them! :)

Thanks

There is no particular place that accepts lower MCATs necessarily. It is all a matter of individual selectivism with a dash of luck. In other words, it would be stupid to try to classify schools "as easy on the MCATs" just because they let one individual in with a low score. Remember, for that 21 score, there was probably someone with a 40 getting in as well to even it all out. I know this rationale isn't necessarily how it works, but you see my point? One MCAT score doesn't comprise the entire student body.

To rxfudd,

What was your GPA?

rxfudd,

you've given me hope. my mcat is about the same as yours. i think i still have hope... unless your gpa is like a 3.99 or somethin'. :D

University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston)

Heard from a student there is someone in class of 2004 that got in with an 18.

ROCKAWAY I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COUSIN WHO GOT A 20 WAS AN UNDERREPRESENTED MINORITY?

Rxfudd, how long before your interview were you verified?

MorningLight, if you don't mind my asking, was your GPA like 3.8+? Can you please let me know?? :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sng33:
•Rxfudd, how long before your interview were you verified?•

Verified 8/26, received interview notice from GWU in early September (maybe around 9/5) and from UIC in early October (around 10/5).

good luck at uic rxfudd!

no, he's not a URM...ten years as an EMT in NYC, lots of community service with underprivieledged youth

rxfudd,

Good luck w/ UIC! I hope to get in there next year. Your GPA makes me wanna barf though! :O lol. I was hoping you'd say it's around 3.6-ish...not 3.8. Oh well. Best wishes anyway!

Thanks everyone - hopefully it will go well, since UIC seems to be pretty receptive to my application.

Remember, extracurrics really do matter in this process - don't let a low MCAT or a low GPA shatter your confidence. Everyone has SOMETHING that is not quite perfect...it's all a matter of how you make up for it.

I remember there was this guy who claimed that he had a great GPA and everything else, but a very low MCAT- 22. He asked, "when is the time to call it quit?"

Every one told him that it's impossible to get a school with that score, so he better apply for PhD or DO school. Then there was this huge debate about DO and MD in that message.

My question is, after reading THIS thread, 22 is not a low score then. There are people getting in med school with 18?? and 20. So was I heard wrong or remembered wrong?

confused,

gooloogooloo

sorry for bringing this thread up and back again. But I really have this unanswered question. Can someone please cultivate me? (my question is in the above post.)

As much as I am a proponent of telling people to apply even with a low MCAT, an 18 or a 20 is not considered low - it is considered somewhat of a disaster. I usually tell people that if their GPA is above 3.7 and they have done lots of recs and have lots of interesting experiences, go ahead and give it a shot if your MCAT is 25 or above. I think that a 25 MCAT is about the lowest score someone can get and still get into an allopathic school. Even with this advice, though, there are people who are residents of states where a 22 or 23 will suffice - you can see that the MCAT score I use in giving this advice is still prone to exceptions.

So here are the general guidelines for applying with a low MCAT:

1) Do you reside in a notoriously competitive/non-competitive state?
2) Is your GPA high (3.7+)?
3) What was the breakdown of your MACT subscores? While med schools generally look favorably upon consistency, it might be easier to explain a single low subscore than to have to explain mediocre scores across the board.
4) Have you been HEAVILY involved in extracurrics? Research? Volunteering? Employment? Clubs on campus?
5) Are you charming/interesting/outgoing enough to win the affection of not only potential interviewers (assuming you can get an interview), but also others on the adcom (whom you should probably go out of your way to get to know - it's not a good idea to be anonymous with a low MCAT)?
6) URM?
7) MD or DO? With MD schools, 25 is pretty much the lowest MCAT score you can survive with. DO schools are highly variable and I've heard of people getting in with as low as a 19. They just don't stress the MCAT as much as MD schools do, so other aspects of your application become much more important.

The real problem is that with a low MCAT score, you pretty much need to be able to answer all of the above favorably. People with decent MCAT/GPA combinations can be lacking in one or two of the above areas - applicants who are lacking in MCAT or GPA need to pretty much have an otherwise perfect application to remain competitive. So yes, it's possible to get in with low MCATs - it's just an uphill battle.

Again, however, I've heard of (and known) non-URM applicants who have gotten in with 25s and 26s - I have never heard of anyone getting in with scores below this.

Hope I was able to help out a little bit - if you have any more questions, feel free to post or send me a private message.

I wouldn't worry about MCATs. Some schools really don't even look at them. They are far more interested in your coursework. Believe it or not, i got in to medical school with a 16 on the MCAT (V4 P6 B6, M). My GPA however was a 3.92 and I had excellent recommendations. I think I explained well why I didn't do well on MCAT day in personal statement - a long story - but I think most ADCOMS felt it was a sufficient explanation. Medical school has been fine so far - so don't worry about your MCAT scores!

-F

By the way, my UIC interview seemed to go pretty well. I really felt good about the interview and everyone (faculty, students) was really helpful and interesting to talk to. Then again, it's apparent from several recent threads that how one feels about an interview often has NOTHING to do with how the interviewer felt about it. I'll just cross my fingers and wait (they said mid-late November, so I should hear something soon).

I am the OP for "when to call it quits?". I can't figure out why everyone has gotten the impression that i am male? Anyway, I am in a similar situation. I am hoping some of you are right....that the MCAT is only part of the picture and not used as a primary weeding tool. My stats: GPA in a graduate program: 3.8, 4 years of clinical oncology research, and 7 years of volunteer work with autistic kids. (not to mention 4 family members with severe neurological disorders) MCAT score: 22 (V7 PS 7 and B8). My recs are outstanding. I think my application shows perserverance and motivation. I will keep you posted if i get an interview.

Your success depends on the schools you apply to. Let's say you have a 20 MCAT and apply to all IVY league schools because you're too stubborn to apply elsewhere. Now, when I hear of people getting in with 25-26 MCATs, this does not surprise me. At SIU School of Med, the average MCAT IS A 26. Therefore, many have MCATs above and below this mark. Granted, not everyone can apply to SIU or have success getting a secondary out of the school, but I think alot of the problem is that people shoot for the stars when applying with sub-par numbers. Many of the more prestigous institutions, like Hopkins and Harvard, won't look in the direction of a 25 MCAT when they have a pile of 35 MCATs sitting right in front of them. Not that anyone has done this, but it would be stupid to engrain the notion of success at prestigious schools in the minds of people with low MCATs. A much better tactic for them is to apply to schools where their MCATs fall within a decent standard deviation of the mean. In other words, if you have a low MCAT, don't apply to Harvard or Hopkins! Suck up your pride and apply to lesser known, less prestigious schools, and become a doctor. Not everyone can go to Harvard, Yale, or Hopkins, so folks make due. I'm in no means downing smaller schools, because SIU, my #1 school, is a small school with NO prestigious reputation. Indeed, it's known from primary care and that's an important, attractive element. I think that people don't apply to osteopathic schools for the same reason. They feel it's not prestigious enough for them (or daddy), so they don't bother applying. When in fact, they would stand a great chance of getting in if they became interested in the art. It is true that osteopathic schools don't emphasize numbers as much as allopathic schools. Therefore, it seems logical to assume that all people with low MCATs should apply. Well...no. This is not the case. Osteopathy is a whole-nother ballgame in itself. But, assuming one wants to be a "doctor" bad enough, a person with lower scores should admit that their scores are not competitive at MD schools and consider DO schools BEFORE other options. I still don't understand (even though I'm told why on a regular basis) why a bias exists to begin with. I'm applying to mostly DO schools, but that's because 1.) I'm interested in primary care 2.) I've enjoyed spending time with all of the DOs I've met 3.) I know my limits-I know I won't bust out a 36 MCAT anytime soon. 4.) I'm proud to say I'm pre-DO. Nonetheless, I'm applying to MD schools as well. My tip of the day: Know your limits, suck up some pride, and try avenues you once thought were out of the question.

Good luck

They are far more interested in your coursework. Believe it or not, i got in to medical school with a 16 on the MCAT (V4 P6 B6, M). My GPA however was a 3.92 and I had excellent recommendations.
16???!!!!

Rx--I'm rooting for ya! Is UIC your first choice?

rxfudd,

I think you'll hear from GWU before Thanksgiving. I was interviewed on 9/13, expecting some kind of notice in December. But to my surprise, I got an acceptance letter last Tuesday from GWU. So look out for those 8 x 11 envelopes! Good luck.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are far more interested in your coursework. Believe it or not, i got in to medical school with a 16 on the MCAT (V4 P6 B6, M). My GPA however was a 3.92 and I had excellent recommendations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 vs. 3.92
Amazing contrast! How did you do on the MCAT? With random selection?
How did you persuade your med school to accept your story?
Unbelievable!

:eek: :eek:

I think the standard deviation for MCAT scores is a 2 or 3 (i didn't look it up). The majority of the data falls within 2 standard deviations in a normal, Bell-shaped curve. So if you got within 4-6 points of the average either way, you stand a chance.

BUT...

This is assuming that MCAT scores have a normal distribution. I feel they may be for overall takers of the test but with acceptance, it is nearly impossible for them to be normally distributed. Generally, the range of the accepted scores is larger on the right side of the mean and more compacted on the left. So, realistically, the standard deviation doesn't matter much because it is not a *standard* deviation. You could probably get in with a score 2-3 points lower than the mean, but anything higher is a good chance. I don't know if schools use a mean or a median for their average. If they use a median, then half get higher than the average and half get lower. If the use a mean, because of the fact that higher scores skew the average, a little bit more people probably score below the average than above.

Okay, here's the data I pulled from AMCAS website for the year 2000:
Applied (took the test): 37,092
Mean of those: 26.9
Standard deviation: 2.2
Matriculated: 16,301
Mean of those: 29.7
Standard deviation: 1.83

Assuming that this is normally distributed, this means that 8.55x10^-4 scored below a 20.
This means, according to the statistics, about 31.7 people IN THE NATION scored below 20. Also, it means that 0.0000482 scored above a 40.

I think the probability curve would look like:
...............x
..........x............x
.......x.....................x
.....x............................x
...x....................................x
.x............................................x
x..................................................x
Peak X=26.9

Sorry, about the periods, it was the only way I could get it to post.

Thanks for the stastics review course. It's been a while. Anyways, I wasn't trying to turn this post around into a math class or anything. I was simply trying to make a point that people should be more selective in their medical school search based on their credentials. Meaning, people with 20 MCATs should NOT apply to Harvard (and EXPECT to get in)...waste of time and money in my opinion. I find it a little upsetting when I hear people (not necessarily folks on this forum, but people in general) crying about their chances of getting into Harvard, Stanford, or Yale with their 25 or 26 MCAT. SO WHAT!!! There are plenty of schools that accept people with 25's and 26's. Apply to them! If that means applying to osteopathic schools, do it! We could sit here all day and talk about numbers and deviations from means, but what does that tell you? It tells you what you already know. That a low score hurts your chances and a score above a mean improves your chances. Remember, all you need is one acceptance. Good luck.

whow...tenn year an EMT. God, how can i compare to you guys. I just started college, but still, it is ever to early to start thinking about ur future.

i am going to volunteer in the ER for 4 years, hopefully i will accumilate over 400 hours...that si what i did when i went to high school in 4 years, and i skipped quite a few days and didn't go in the summer either, b/c of traveling.

i am going to do research on how migranes relate to depression and get my name published in a journal.

um...my dad wanted to become a doctor, but he couldn't b/c of financial things and that his dad died, so he being the eldest out of 4 children had to support his family back home and here and had to work 2-3 jobs, so there was no time for medical school and find a place to live. So you can say i am pursuing this dream of mine for my dad, b/c he didn't become a doctor but i want at least one of his 3 children ( i am the eldest) to become a doctor.

yup, whoa...ok so what u think.

Originally posted by nochaser:

Rx--I'm rooting for ya! Is UIC your first choice?•

It is now - after seeing the med school and talking with students/profs, I'm pretty sure that's where I want to go. I'll let you know if I hear any news.

Silver-eyes,

May I offer you some advice? I think your idea of volunteering in the ER is a good idea, but it is one that just about everybody else has done. It's lost its luster in some ways. If you can, try something unique like habitat for humanity or big bros/big sis. Also, when you volunteer, it's not about how much time you spend doing it..it's WHAT YOU GET OUT OF IT. I believe there are better ways to make a difference and gain valuable volunteer experiences outside of the hospital. The number of hours you spend doing something has nothing to do with what you learn from the experience. You can spend years doing something and never really learn or gain from the experience. You see what I mean?

Also, research is highly overrated. Unless you want to go to a "big-time", IVY league medical school, research is not mandatory. Plus, research can cause more headaches for you in the long run. For example, I know of this guy who had outstanding research credentials, but when it came time for his interview, he was paired up with the chair of the department that he did research in. During his entire interview he was drilled about his research through and through. The interviewer was literally testing his knowledge of his research. That had to suck for him because he did not get accepted. I think you should only do research if you are truely interested in it, not because you think it'll look good. If you do it to look good, you may end up looking pretty silly in an interview or two when you're getting drilled by a PhD in the subject you did research in. Scary!

Finally, I think it's admirable that you want to be a doctor for your dad, but that should not be your only reason. He'll be proud of you even if you're not a doctor. You should become a doctor because you are PASSIONATE about the art and CAN NOT LIVE TO DO ANYTHING ELSE! I have to agree with what somebody said (I don't recall their name specifically) in an interview...When asked "What would I have to do to prevent you from going into medicine?" He said "You'll have to rip off my arms and legs to stop me from becoming a doctor." This is the kinda attitude med schools are looking for! Needless to say, he was accepted. Become a doctor because you don't want to do anything else with your life. This is a life-long career, full of physical and emotional tests. The only way to survive is if you have the PASSION to carry forward. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits.

Silver-eyes
"i am going to volunteer in the ER for 4 years, hopefully i will accumilate over 400 hours...that si what i did when i went to high school in 4 years, and i skipped quite a few days and didn't go in the summer either, b/c of traveling."[B/]

Is 400 hrs alot?
I'm asking because I thought I had a low amount of hrs.
Past 1-1/2 yrs 2000 documented hrs in clinic and working w/homeless. Is that considered alot? How many hrs would be considered good? BTW no job, full time student.
P.S I don't do it for the hrs, I do it because I love it.

BTW, how high (or how low) a MCAT score can you get, by random selection?

I assume 25% of 45 will be 11.25
So is 12 the absolute minimum score for medical schools to set as a cutoff point? Just a thought...

LOL

Originally posted by gooloogooloo:
•BTW, how high (or how low) a MCAT score can you get, by random selection?

I assume 25% of 45 will be 11.25
So is 12 the absolute minimum score for medical schools to set as a cutoff point? Just a thought...

LOL•

Not exactly - using AAMC Test II (generally accepted as an excellent prediction of your real score):

25% of the 65 Verbal questions = 16 correct
A score of <4 = 0-31 correct, so assume your score will be about a 2

25% of the 77 Physical Sciences questions = 19 correct
A score of <4 = 0-31 correct, so assume your score will be about a 3

25% of the 77 Biological Sciences questions = 19 correct
A score of <4 = 0-34 correct, so assume your score will be about a 2

So by random guessing, your score will be more like a 7 instead of a 12. This still doesn't mean that med schools will impose cutoffs at a score of 7. If they do indeed use cutoffs, it will be at a much higher score (maybe around 20-23). Most schools use a GPA/MCAT equation so that a decrease in one can be compensated by an increase in the other.

So how many people applying actually do score above a 40 on the mcats?

Figure that you need to get 14 on one section and 13 on the other two to get a 40. The most likely way of doing this is to get VR 13-15, PS 14, BS 13. about 25,000 people take the MCAT each administration - of these, appx 1% get a 13 BS, 0.1% get a 13-15 VR, and about 0.5% get a 14 PS. If we look at this as probability, the number getting all three scores are (25,000)(0.001)(0.01)(0.005)= 0.0125 people. Of course, it's not as simple as a probability problem - someone who gets a score of 13 on BS has a much greater chance of getting a 14 on PS than someone who scored a 10 on PS. Still, you can see that very few people get 40+. I would estimate that only a handful (5-10) per administration. I can even imagine some administrations where no one gets 40+ - it's just too hard to do that well on all three sections.

Henceforward I will only aim for a 39 in my MCAT then.

BTW, if I have a very high MCAT score, let's say 36~38, how low my GPA be could still let me survive to a school?

Originally posted by gooloogooloo:
•Henceforward I will only aim for a 39 in my MCAT then.

BTW, if I have a very high MCAT score, let's say 36~38, how low my GPA be could still let me survive to a school?•

That's really difficult to say - every school is different. I'll jsut say that you should probably have at least a 3.2-3.3 for most school with that high of an MCAT score. Again, this is just speculation.

I have a REAL low MCAT score, but I still applied. I do have other factors that come into play, but my grades are good also. I came from a competitve school, so I'm just sitting and waiting since I took the August MCAT.

Originally posted by rxfudd:
•Figure that you need to get 14 on one section and 13 on the other two to get a 40. The most likely way of doing this is to get VR 13-15, PS 14, BS 13. about 25,000 people take the MCAT each administration - of these, appx 1% get a 13 BS, 0.1% get a 13-15 VR, and about 0.5% get a 14 PS. If we look at this as probability, the number getting all three scores are (25,000)(0.001)(0.01)(0.005)= 0.0125 people. Of course, it's not as simple as a probability problem - someone who gets a score of 13 on BS has a much greater chance of getting a 14 on PS than someone who scored a 10 on PS. Still, you can see that very few people get 40+. I would estimate that only a handful (5-10) per administration. I can even imagine some administrations where no one gets 40+ - it's just too hard to do that well on all three sections.•

Statistically, you would use a normal bell-shaped curve. And I don't have a TI-82 calculator with me but using my head, 1% of the scores would be above 40 or below 14, that is +/-13 from the mean. I was wrong in my guess of the standard deviation of the MCAT for all takers, its really about 6.6, so I was way off. So thought this would help.

Originally posted by dustinspeer:
•Statistically, you would use a normal bell-shaped curve. And I don't have a TI-82 calculator with me but using my head, 1% of the scores would be above 40 or below 14, that is +/-13 from the mean. I was wrong in my guess of the standard deviation of the MCAT for all takers, its really about 6.6, so I was way off. So thought this would help.•

The reason you wouldn't use a bell curve for the total score is that each individual section is normalized - the total score, however, is not. It does not necessarily follow that because 0.1% of the population gets a 13-15 VR, 1% (separately) gets a 15 PS, and 1% (again separately) gets a 15 BS that approximately 1% would get a 40+. Three separate conditions must be met for that to happen. Since the AAMC does not release statistics on the total score (only the subsections), it makes sense to use their data on each section to estimate the percentage of people getting a given total score. Although I (nor anyone else) can confirm it, I suspect that the bell curve is only good for intermediate scores and that the data is heavily skewed/irregular at either extremely low or high scores.

I believe only 0.1% get a 15 on PS and 0.1% get a 15 on BS.

Thats what I've heard.

Originally posted by Epogen:
•I believe only 0.1% get a 15 on PS and 0.1% get a 15 on BS.•

Oops - you're right...I meant for 13's/14's, since one would need a 13 13 14 to get a 40.

Originally posted by florisio:
•I wouldn't worry about MCATs. Some schools really don't even look at them. They are far more interested in your coursework. Believe it or not, i got in to medical school with a 16 on the MCAT (V4 P6 B6, M). My GPA however was a 3.92 and I had excellent recommendations. I think I explained well why I didn't do well on MCAT day in personal statement - a long story - but I think most ADCOMS felt it was a sufficient explanation. Medical school has been fine so far - so don't worry about your MCAT scores!

-F•

Florisio,
Where did you get accepted????
That is so awesome that a school could see your potential beyond one @#!^J* score!
I'm in a similar position..... I'm really NOT expecting anything, but I went ahead and submitted my application. I figure that they'll look at my scores and either fall down laughing that I bothered to apply, OR take a more indepth look into WHY I decided to go ahead and subit my application despite my obvious disaster of a score!
I won't let this darn thing stand in my way though!!!!! Like many good one's before me, I'll take it again and keep my chin up!!!!!
Take care,
L :)

# of people w/ 40+ mcats.

V: 13+ = 1.8% PS: 14+ = 1.3% PS: 13+ = 4.3% BS: 13+ 3.3% ---------------

Consider following cases: V | BS | PS 14:13:13 13:14:13 13:13:14

So, out of 24,941 x 1.3% = 324 people will get 40+ if PS is limiting score.

So, out of 24,941 x 1.8% = 449 people will get 40+ if V is limiting score and 13-15 counts as a "14"

So, out of 24,941 x .7% = 174 people will get 40+ if BS is limiting score.

Average = 320 +/- 80 people will get 40+ based on Standard Error of the average.

Originally posted by meddude03:
•# of people w/ 40+ mcats.

V: 13+ = 1.8% PS: 14+ = 1.3% PS: 13+ = 4.3% BS: 13+ 3.3% ---------------

Consider following cases: V | BS | PS 14:13:13 13:14:13 13:13:14

So, out of 24,941 x 1.3% = 324 people will get 40+ if PS is limiting score.

So, out of 24,941 x 1.8% = 449 people will get 40+ if V is limiting score and 13-15 counts as a "14"

So, out of 24,941 x .7% = 174 people will get 40+ if BS is limiting score.

Average = 320 +/- 80 people will get 40+ based on Standard Error of the average.•

It's not as simple as that though - a limiting score implies that the other two factors occur with equal frequency - I highly doubt that everyone who scored a 13 VR, PS, or BS ALSO scored as high on PS and BS - since all three things have to happen at the same time, the three percentages have to be multiplied.