lowest MCAT acceptance stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where did you learn all that? Stat? Goosh, I never leanred it before!

math sucks...

Members don't see this ad.

All I have to say about the turn this thread has taken is...

Huh?

Very true. So at most 300 people will be able to get 40+ each year.

Statistically, it might be something like:
assume that getting over 13 is like flipping a coin based on the final values tabulated above. since there are three variables, v, bs, ps, that means we have three coins. since we only need one coin to flip above 13 (head), the other two can flip as 13 (tails).

So, 320 x (1/3) [three tries] x (1/2) [flipping 14] = 50 +/- 10 people get over 40 each year on mcats. my probability might be wrong here. been awhile since i last took a math class...hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, easiest way to figure out who got 40+ on mcats is to ask everybody to post a note who got 40+ on the mcats. Maybe thats too simple a solution. :p

probable # for 40+ mcats is: 120 +/- 30 people.

my previous calculation was incorrect.

320 x 3 [three scores] x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 [changes of either getting 13 or over 13] = 120.

I thought this thread was about lowest MCAT stories,how come people are talking about score of 40+????

OK!!!! STOP THE MATH!!! I feel bad because I started all this mess. I never meant to turn this post into a stats review!! Please...I beg you...stop the stats!!!!! AARRRGGGHHH!!!! :)

Originally posted by Fredonia:
•All I have to say about the turn this thread has taken is...

Huh?•

yup, me too

As the original poster, I am truly confused!!! This began as a "hopeful" thread for those who have worked their butts off toward a med school acceptance. The attempt was to convey some thoughts on NOT letting the score on one standardized test squash your dream. INSTEAD....it seems as if the typical premed mentality wandered off in the direction of "OK,lets figure out the # of applicants who may have scored 40+ on the MCAT"...a very discouraging area of pondering....to those who really know they would become an oustanding physician, and truly want to better the lives of those they will care for, I say, DON'T let one test get in your way...there are those who have gotten in with scores less than stellar...schools just don't advertise this fact...why would they? but they have gotten a bit better at recognizing someone's potential by looking at the total picture in the application/interview...again, this is probably why some with 40+ MCAT's, GPA's of 4.0, research experience since the age of 5, sometime's don't get accepted everywhere...they might not be a good addition to the class, or they might not have much of a personality, or convey any degree of concern for others, we've all seen this type of physician, no one really likes them (patients, staff, colleague's)...good luck to ALL of us!!! what a weird year!!!!

I agree with you. MCATs do not decide our future. We can't let the MCAT have too much affect on our future or stress over just one number. Its all about the whole picture. One number can't tell you if you will be a good physician or not. However, i think that if you talk about people being curious about MCAT scores below the national average, there will be an equal number of people curious about higher MCAT scores. Good luck to everybody and always be positive.

Well, I was happy with my 27 (all 9s and M on verbal) although its not considered competitive at the schools I'm applying too. But I guess they didn't mind because I've had two interviews thus far at my state schools.

"We can't let the MCAT have too much affect on our future or stress over just one number"

Well, tell that to the adcoms. :) This exam is an Admissions Test, so it does carry considerable weight. Ofcourse, we don't have to live by it solely.