Loyolans taking biochemistry...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anyone out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if you're talking about current students there or next year's class...

But yea i'm a 2012'er taking biochem

Members don't see this ad :)
I promise I'm not intentionally trying to hijack this thread but while some loyolans are together in this thread...

I'm a second semester post-bacc currently taking bio and chem 102 with labs and I was talking with my bio prof yesterday during our discussion (there were a total of 3 people there) and he was reccomending to take biochem but at the end. He said to take cell bio and/or genetics first. Zip and Phoenix, what was your course schedule like when you were completing the post-bacc program. Would you guys agree to take biochem, but do it at the end?

I promise I'm not intentionally trying to hijack this thread but while some loyolans are together in this thread...

I'm a second semester post-bacc currently taking bio and chem 102 with labs and I was talking with my bio prof yesterday during our discussion (there were a total of 3 people there) and he was reccomending to take biochem but at the end. He said to take cell bio and/or genetics first. Zip and Phoenix, what was your course schedule like when you were completing the post-bacc program. Would you guys agree to take biochem, but do it at the end?

I took bio and chem over a summer, and then took orgo and physics during the year. Then the MCAT, and applied to med school. I would definitely recommend taking biochem last, or at least after taking chem I & II and then orgo I (I think you could take it before or concurrently with Orgo II if you wanted and not be missing anything for biochem). Isn't the completion of chem & orgo a pre-req? Can't remember. Anyway, biochem definitely does seem to use chem and orgo I as a jumping off point. And bio I & II would also be nice to have because you end up studying in more depth some of the pathways (and DNA/RNA topics) you deal with in that class. So, yeah, I'd recommend taking it at the tail end of your pre-reqs, but I don't think you'd need to take genetics or cell bio before biochem. I'm not even going to take genetics, and I took cell bio many, many years ago and don't even remember it. But of those three classes, I'd think biochem would be the most applicable for med school (and that's certainly what I've read about from med students on SDN (and friends of mine)).