LSU applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackwaterBandit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody applied to LSU vet school? If so interested in any feedback from interviews? I was also wondering about my personal resume. I did not go to LSU. Where do I need inprovement? Where are my weaknesses?

3.7 gpa majored in Biology and Economics
3 difft veterinary experiences (large, small, mixed); many hours.
Founder and Pres of Ducks Unlimitd in college
Part of research project concerned with squirrel behavior
1330 GRE

Members don't see this ad.

I did apply to LSU this year, but I'm out of state, so I won't be interviewing, since they don't interview out of state resisdents. From what I've read and the the card I got in the mail (asking me to verify my scores) today it looks like last 45 hours, Science GPA and GRE scores are what they use to calcuate the score that they use for 70- 80 percent of the total admissions score. The rest is LORs, Personal Statement, experience and other factors combined with interviews (for in state and contract).

Your stats look pretty much like what they are publishing for their admits. Did you apply this year as well?

Hey guys--it's nice to hear from LSU applicants!

Where are you from? Any stats you want to share?

Good luck to us all :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
loo said:
Hey guys--it's nice to hear from LSU applicants!

Where are you from? Any stats you want to share?

Good luck to us all :luck: :luck:
It is good to hear from other LSU applicants!

I'm from NJ, and applied to a few schools because of the frightening lack of a state school. Right now, I have a rejection, 3 interviews and a few question marks.

For what it's worth, as far as stats, my GPA is somewhere around a 3.6- 3.7 or so depending how you calcualte it . My last 45 hours GPA is higher (3.8-3.9). Science GPA is close to my overall GPA, a little lower or a higher depending on what you count in it (each school has been slightly different). My GRE's are 5.5A 710V and 670Q.

:) Lynn

LynnKat said:
For what it's worth, as far as stats, my GPA is somewhere around a 3.6- 3.7 or so depending how you calcualte it . My last 45 hours GPA is higher (3.8-3.9). Science GPA is close to my overall GPA, a little lower or a higher depending on what you count in it (each school has been slightly different). My GRE's are 5.5A 710V and 670Q.

:) Lynn

Holy crap! You seem to be an outstanding candidate for admission! I don't stand a chance against those numbers :laugh:

LynnKat said:
I did apply to LSU this year, but I'm out of state, so I won't be interviewing, since they don't interview out of state resisdents. From what I've read and the the card I got in the mail (asking me to verify my scores) today it looks like last 45 hours, Science GPA and GRE scores are what they use to calcuate the score that they use for 70- 80 percent of the total admissions score. The rest is LORs, Personal Statement, experience and other factors combined with interviews (for in state and contract).

Your stats look pretty much like what they are publishing for their admits. Did you apply this year as well?

I live in nola. I have an interview tommorow. Have not been nervous yet. This is my first time applying. Good luck to all.

Good Luck to you, BackwaterBandit! Hope everything goes your way!

Let the rest of us anxious folks know how everything goes, yes?

BackwaterBandit said:
I live in nola. I have an interview tommorow. Have not been nervous yet. This is my first time applying. Good luck to all.
How did your interview go??? :D

Does anyone know when LSU lets out of state applicants know of the acceptances/rejection statis??

lisambdvm said:
Does anyone know when LSU lets out of state applicants know of the acceptances/rejection statis??

I am soooo glad that I know how to spell "status" in the above message!!!! hehehehe!! Maybe this is why I haven't heard back....I can't spell!!! j/k

March, I believe. :)

Hey everyone!

I was an out of state applicant for LSU last year, made the alternate list, and then was accepted early May. I don't remember exactly when I got the initial letter, but I believe around March is correct.
It's been a crazy first year so far, but I'm really glad I chose to stay at LSU (I was here undergrad & was accepted from another alternate list about a week after LSU officially let me in).
Good luck! And if you have any other questions about the school, I'll try my best to answer them.

:)

LittleBit said:
And if you have any other questions about the school, I'll try my best to answer them.
1. Do you like the PBL system? Do you use PBL in the "big" classes such as anatomy/physiology, etc.? Can you give us some examples of how PBL is used?

2. How's housing been since Katrina? Is it hard to find decent housing? What's it like living there?

3. Are there many opportunities for research or summer internships? In what areas of vet med?

4. Are you part of a cohesive class or is it every man/woman for himself/herself?

5. Is the acceptance/rejection in a small or large envelope? I just need to prepare myself for the worst...

This is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll come up with some more stupid questions later...

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I’ll give a disclaimer that what I’ll reply are just my views on these questions. I’m sure if you ask other people they’ll tell you give you varying responses (basically I just don’t want anyone getting mad and saying “that’s not what person x told me”)
Also, the post ended up being somewhat long, so good luck reading!

1. Do you like the PBL system? Do you use PBL in the "big" classes such as anatomy/physiology, etc.? Can you give us some examples of how PBL is used?

I really enjoy PBL and am really glad that we have it in our curriculum. It has definitely helped my problem solving skills and helped to train us to think more “medically” at a presenting case.
At the beginning of the semester, everyone is assigned to a group of about 8. My group gets along really well, but there were a few groups that had some issues first semester. They seem to have settled down 2nd semester, though. PBL is a series of classes, and thus, not necessarily incorporated with our other classes. We had an Intro to PBL first semester which reviewed research resources and gave us some little problems to work on as well as teaching us the basics of SOAP writing (basically case write-ups).
This semester we worked with the same group and had a facilitator assigned to make sure we stay on task and what not. We were given 2 weeks for the class, one week per case. At first we were given a very basic idea of the animal and presenting problem. We then had to ask questions to gather a more complete history and begin researching to find out more about normal values (for resp, heart rate, temp, behavior, common diseases). These are historical cases so we never see the animal, but we receive the test results as we request them.
PBL’s hard to explain without doing it, but I thought it was a very helpful experience and a good way to begin the second semester. (LSU’s also on a block schedule. So, while you’ll have 20 something hours, you’ll only be taking 3 – 4 classes at a time).

2. How's housing been since Katrina? Is it hard to find decent housing? What's it like living there?

Housing immediately after Katrina was impossible to find, but I think everything has settled down significantly after New Orleans was re-opened and people could move back. I really enjoy living here; the food’s awesome, I’ve met a lot of great people, we get time off for Mardi Gras, and Louisiana definitely has a unique cultural feel. I also swing dance (when I can find spare time), so being close to New Orleans and all of the jazz musicians is definitely a bonus.

3. Are there many opportunities for research or summer internships? In what areas of vet med?

Dr. Klei is responsible for the big grant research opportunities and is very willing to help you find a position. Also, a lot of the clubs post different positions as they become available from the surrounding area or from national grants. I would assume this is similar to most Vet Schools.
Within the building there are all sorts of research opportunities to help out with, but I haven’t been looking at too many of them so I can’t give specifics. I do know that with the national grants you are also able to apply to work with Pennington (a Biomedical research facility in Baton Rouge) or with the Primate Center, which is near New Orleans, so it’s definitely not limited to just opportunities within the Vet School.

4. Are you part of a cohesive class or is it every man/woman for himself/herself?

I have some awesome friends in my class, but feel like I get along with pretty much everybody. There are definitely groups throughout it, but I don’t feel like our class is different than any other random group of 80 something people placed in a room for the majority of the day for extended periods of time. ;-)
My class has been called “incohesive” by some of the other people in the Vet School, but we had an extremely rough first semester and I haven’t really heard of any complaints about that within my class. Each class is different, but LSU has started adding a day to orientation for team building activities. I really enjoyed that day and was able to meet a lot of my classmates in a non-academic setting, which I feel helped people feel more at ease, especially in the first few weeks.

I hope this has been helpful, and if you have more questions feel free to keep asking. Also, sorry the reply's been a bit delayed, we've had Mardi Gras break :D

Hey LittleBit---thanks for your response...very informative!

Here's some more questions:

1. What's your typical day like? You know, classes, labs, etc.

2. Are professors/assistant professors/adjuncts easily accessable?

3. Are laptops required as part of the curriculum?

4. How much live hands-on animal work (excluding run-of-the mill animal husbandry stuff) do you do in the first year? Or do you have to wait for clinics?

5. Is it true that in order to be licensed in LA, you must complete an 8 month intership first?

Thanks again! As they say at Mardi Gras---"if you don't know what to do, it's time to take your drunken a$$ home"!

loo said:
March, I believe. :)

News from LSU for Outta Staters:

"Congratulations, we are pleased to inform you that your application has been chosen out of a pool of 505 out-of-state applications to be included in the group from which the final selections for the at-large positions in the Class of 2010 at the School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University will be made. While we do not know yet how many offers will be made this year, in past years as many as 80% of this final group were made offers. The first group of offers will go out in about 2-3 weeks, a second group of offers will be made in mid-April, and then if necessary we will continue to make offers until the class is full."

Stupid waiting game..... :p

Thanks, Psycholulu! Congrats :hardy:

Did you get this message via email, snail mail, or phone?

It was via email.
Any news for you yet, loo? We're all rooting for ya!

*sob* No...no love for loo yet.

I'm very happy for you, though. :D

This waiting game is inherently unfair.

Wontcha have a heart and shoot me already?

Jeez.

loo said:
*sob* No...no love for loo yet.

I'm very happy for you, though. :D

This waiting game is inherently unfair.

Wontcha have a heart and shoot me already?

Jeez.

:( Sorry to hear that! Are you planning to go to Ross or St. George? Or reapply? Let me know if I can help in any way...

Keep the hope alive -- no breaking out the Euthasol for you!

Thanks, PsychoLulu...I'll stay strong 'til the rejection letter/email comes.

If I don't get in, I'll probably go to Ross. The cost of a caribbean education scares the poop out of me, though. I have no doubt that I can succeed (academically) in vet school. I just worry about how I'm going to make it through school (financially) and not spend my career destitute.

There are a lot of financial and legal hoops to jump through going the caribbean route. These hoops would not exist if I was accepted in the States. Hence, my cold feet.

Naw...Euthasol is for wimps; one bullet and a backhoe is all I need. Quick and simple---painless if you do it right. ;)

PsychoLulu said:
"Congratulations, we are pleased to inform you that your application has been chosen out of a pool of 505 out-of-state applications to be included in the group from which the final selections for the at-large positions in the Class of 2010 at the School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University will be made. While we do not know yet how many offers will be made this year, in past years as many as 80% of this final group were made offers. The first group of offers will go out in about 2-3 weeks, a second group of offers will be made in mid-April, and then if necessary we will continue to make offers until the class is full."

Anyone else (out of state/non-contract) get this email?

loo said:
Thanks, PsychoLulu...I'll stay strong 'til the rejection letter/email comes.

If I don't get in, I'll probably go to Ross. The cost of a caribbean education scares the poop out of me, though. I have no doubt that I can succeed (academically) in vet school. I just worry about how I'm going to make it through school (financially) and not spend my career destitute.

There are a lot of financial and legal hoops to jump through going the caribbean route. These hoops would not exist if I was accepted in the States. Hence, my cold feet.

Naw...Euthasol is for wimps; one bullet and a backhoe is all I need. Quick and simple---painless if you do it right. ;)

Hang in there loo! And think of it this way: it may cost more, but you're still gonna end up a vet (and, if these forumns are any indication, working with a great bunch of collegues)!

Hum, a backhoe might be a bit hard to come up with since I'm a city girl, but I could offer you the CO2 tank that we use on our lab animals?? :laugh:

loo said:
Anyone else (out of state/non-contract) get this email?

I did get it, but only after I saw this thread. It got shunted into my junk mail somehow. Maybe something similar happened to you?

You seem so determined. I know you will be a good doc. Lots of Luck! :luck:

More answers (although these may be slightly less helpful :rolleyes: ):

1. What's your typical day like? You know, classes, labs, etc.
Since LSU has a block schedule we generally have 2 classes (each 2 hrs) and hour for lunch and then anatomy lab in the afternoon. Wednesdays are a little different because we have the Dean’s class, which is a pass / fail 1 hr class where they bring in different speakers. The rest of the day on Wednesday is divided into other lecture based classes.

2. Are professors/assistant professors/adjuncts easily accessable?
I haven’t really sought out any of my professors yet, but I have not heard any complaints about them being impossible to find.

3. Are laptops required as part of the curriculum?
Laptops are not required, but I think buying one over the summer was one of the smartest investments I’ve made. Even if I don’t use it very frequently in class, it’s really nice to be able to take my notes to a coffee shop and study. Most of the professors post their power points and notes online, so they are easily accessible.
Also, for PBL, it’s really convenient to have several computers in the room to be able to research or compile data on a variety of subjects all at once.

4. How much live hands-on animal work (excluding run-of-the mill animal husbandry stuff) do you do in the first year? Or do you have to wait for clinics?
There’s really not a lot of live animal work in our curriculum for the first year. However, a lot of the clubs meet at lunch and hold wetlabs on the weekends, these are great opportunities to learn more about a particular procedure and a chance to practice on a live animal.

5. Is it true that in order to be licensed in LA, you must complete an 8 month internship first?
I honestly have not really looked into licensing yet, my focus in undergrad was on getting into vet school and now that focus has switched to making it through vet school. But I believe that in the 4th year there are opportunities to pursue internships and externships which may count for that time if it is required.

I also know all about the waiting game with LSU. I worked in the building last year, so when the instate people received their letters I made the *long* walk to the student affairs office only to be told that since I was an out of state applicant, my letter wasn't ready yet.

I had to wait another week or 2 after all of my friends had gotten their letters before mine appeared :p

Good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

One of my co-workers, who is an Arkansas 'resident' currently living in Louisiana, received his acceptance letter last friday. I'm an in-state applicant and have yet to receive anything, but his interview was a week or so before mine as well. Perhaps this means letters will be arriving for the rest of us in a week or two? I'm still hopeful....

Ladydvm said:
One of my co-workers, who is an Arkansas 'resident' currently living in Louisiana, received his acceptance letter last friday. I'm an in-state applicant and have yet to receive anything, but his interview was a week or so before mine as well. Perhaps this means letters will be arriving for the rest of us in a week or two? I'm still hopeful....

Do they notify by snail mail or email with acceptances/rejections?

Snail-mail... though, I've only spoken to Arkansas and Louisiana applicants. One of the vets I work for teaches at the vet school, and another was on the panel interviewing Louisiana residents, so they try to keep me updated on the process. They haven't given me any indications on when the out-of-state letters will be mailed, though

edit: Sorry, double post :scared:

Now that I've stopped shaking enough to reply.... Thought I'd let you all know that I received my acceptance letter today! (3/20) It was a very thin envelope, so don't worry if you see that. Oh, I'm also an in-state applicant ;)

Best of luck to every-one still waiting!

Ladydvm said:
Now that I've stopped shaking enough to reply.... Thought I'd let you all know that I received my acceptance letter today! (3/20) It was a very thin envelope, so don't worry if you see that. Oh, I'm also an in-state applicant ;)

Best of luck to every-one still waiting!

Congratulations! That is such great news. Thin envelopes are so stressful. It's awesome that yours contained good news. I guess I'll keep waiting to hear out of state....

I guess you're definitely going to LSU next year?

Congrats!!! :D
Also, if things work like they did last year, out of state letters won't go out for another week or so. (In state letters were able to be picked up / mailed today).

LynnKat said:
Congratulations! That is such great news. Thin envelopes are so stressful. It's awesome that yours contained good news. I guess I'll keep waiting to hear out of state....

I guess you're definitely going to LSU next year?

Thanks! I'll definitely be heading there next year, seeing as it was the only school I applied to (In retrospect, probably not the best idea but regardless, it worked out well in the end.) This was my first time applying, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Best of luck to you... I hope you get good news as well!

Ladydvm said:
Thanks! I'll definitely be heading there next year, seeing as it was the only school I applied to (In retrospect, probably not the best idea but regardless, it worked out well in the end.) This was my first time applying, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Best of luck to you... I hope you get good news as well!

I did hear good news today :), and I am so excited! I got a phone message, but I got home too late to call back. Now I have to do some research and decide what I want to do. If anyone who could help me with info about cost of living, residency, or anything else about the school it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I also got the good news from LSU by phone this weekend. However I won't be going, so the list will move up at least one :)

good luck everyone!

I received good news from LSU yesterday by phone, but will not be attending. So the list will move up one more.

Congrats to all and good luck to everyone still waiting!