LSU Current Students & Recent Grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captain_meow

Reaction score
Are you happy with your education and everything that came with it at LSU? I told one of our doctors about my interest in the school and she warned me that professors weren’t sticking around. I believe she used the term “dropping like flies.” I know there was also a minor deficiency in physical facilities & equipment during its latest AVMA evaluation, but that’s likely to be addressed this year.

I was advised to talk to recent grads. Not exactly living somewhere I can find y’all easily. The pros and cons list on the pre-vet forums doesn’t really give me much to work with. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a recent grad (current grad student), nor have I gone to school there, but you may want to look into the financial state of the school. They've been facing dramatic budget cuts for years now, and football is an especially huge source of revenue there. With the season not happening this year, the worry is that the school will not be able to financially support graduate programs among other things like tenure, school supplies, etc. I would guess that's why so many are "jumping ship" and would maybe take this into consideration before applying.

I will say I’ve talked to admin people at the CVM about prior financial issues as an applicant and they were very happy to speak with me and address my concerns. Yes, football rakes in the cash, but so does tuition and revenue from the teaching hospital. I know plenty of recent grads from the school that are faring just fine and haven’t expressed any concerns. Basically, budget cuts, administrative flight, and all the joys of red tape come with ANY academic institution. Any other vet school you attend will have these issues to a degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here, we have lost a lot of EXCELLENT clinicians in the last few years to private practice, but I don't feel that its a reflection on the school as much as it is the well-known fact that pay in academia is s**t compared to private practice for boarded veterinarians. That being said, the clinicians that remain and the ones that have come on to fill empty spots are WONDERFUL. Seriously, every single rotation (and lecture back in pre-clinic years) has excellent clinicians. During studying for NAVLE I've been wandering around the hospital asking for clarification of stuff and even if the clinician is obviously very busy, they will ALWAYS stop to answer questions or help however they can. I really can't say enough good things about the staff there. >> This goes for residents as well. There is only one clinician that has a bad reputation, even then this person is manageable as long as you aren't stupid.

In my experience, the technicians on MOST services are very helpful as well. I think LSU actually has a really good culture in the vet school, its very team-oriented. The new hospital directors (and the old one) are amazing and so passionate and helpful.

As far as the facilities, it is an old school. It was built in the 70s and the architecture reflects that, nothing to do about it though. They are building a new small animal clinic that hopefully will be done in a few years (they literally just broke ground this week). The issues during accreditation as far as I know had to do with asbestos (now removed) and leaking in the junior surgery suite (where students get their hands-on surgery practice). The school is right next to the levee with the Mississippi River on the other side and usually from like January to March the water is right up to the top of the levee and so the school is technically under the water level, which is why water was coming up from the floor in the junior surgery suite. When my class was in there we had to wear non-slip boots :rolleyes: Junior surgery issues have been corrected with additional water pumps and brand new flooring. Please don't let the accreditation rumors make you think we're in the OR with gas lanterns or something.

As far as funding, Louisiana is one of the most poorly funded public school systems in the United States. I do not feel like this has negatively impacted my education. The dean sends regular updates on funding status and since I started the vet school has never been short of their funding goals. The football team is self-sustaining. They don't take any funds from the school itself and is completely supported by donors, vendors, tickets, etc - so I would be shocked if no football season had any effect on the school whatsoever.

Feel free to DM me if you want any more info!

Reactions: 2 users
Please don't let the accreditation rumors

I will add that every school has had accreditation slip ups over the years. That's part of the fact facilities age and its actually really difficult to keep up with all the technology of medicine. Or it has to do with changing the curriculum. Or any number of other things. All that matters is a school gets the fixes done within the allotted time. So basing decision of attendance on certain accreditation rumors is definitely a poor plan. The only exception I would have is if the school's NAVLE pass rate or attrition rate were going in the wrong direction.

I'm a recent-grad, currently doing a private practice rotating internship. I loved LSU and would go there again in a heartbeat. They've lost a few people recently, but honestly, I think that's a cycle that every school goes through; I don't think any of the people lost are "irreplaceable", in that I think the school is going to bounce back fine. My understanding is that re-accreditation is going well, too - there were some structural/maintenance type flags, but those are being addressed. I feel strongly that I got a good education, and I felt as prepared as I could possibly be for internship. NAVLE went well too. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any other questions, happy to chat.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a recent-grad, currently doing a private practice rotating internship. I loved LSU and would go there again in a heartbeat. They've lost a few people recently, but honestly, I think that's a cycle that every school goes through; I don't think any of the people lost are "irreplaceable", in that I think the school is going to bounce back fine. My understanding is that re-accreditation is going well, too - there were some structural/maintenance type flags, but those are being addressed. I feel strongly that I got a good education, and I felt as prepared as I could possibly be for internship. NAVLE went well too. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any other questions, happy to chat.
Thank you! I’ll certainly reach out if I have any more questions!