Lubbock Ranks Last in Bad Teeth Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MnBr63

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LUBBOCK, Texas — If you're looking for cavity-free pearly whites, search anywhere but Lubbock. A new study in next month's Men's Health magazine says this West Texas city has the worst teeth of the 100 large U.S. cities examined. El Paso (No. 95), San Antonio (89) and Dallas (87) weren't far ahead. The magazine said the best teeth could be found in Madison, Wis.; Nashville, Tenn.; and Raleigh, N.C.
The study used data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on the number of annual dentist visits, canceled appointments, regular flossers and households using flouride.
Some blame the high level of fluoride in Lubbock's well water. Dentists say too much fluoride in the water may cause the enamel on teeth to become rough, leaving brown or white stains. Others say the high cost of dental care is to blame, leaving poor people without proper checkups or education.
Some people questioned the study.
John Epperson, a longtime Lubbock dentist, said some people take excellent care of their teeth and some don't.
"My expectation is people in Lubbock are like people around the country," he said.
___
Information from: Lubbock Avalanche-Journal: http://www.lubbockonline.com
___
On the Web:
Men's Health: http://www.menshealth.com/metrogrades/08_apr_teeth/
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Members don't see this ad.

How did they come about those numbers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have a hard time believing anything coming out of a magazine. The amount of myths and untruth they state as facts is unbelievable. Waste of time generally except for anything discussing non scientific things like weightlifting or for looking at scantly clad women.

That's assuming you're willing to call anything that appears in Men's Health a "study"

I, by no means, consider this a highly renowned journal with a great deal of integrity. I doubt I will cite this article in any research that I perform. I just found it amusing, and I know aggie-master can agree with me, that it seems fitting for Lubbock...home of Texas Tech. Lubbock is also in a dry county, and there are laws prohibiting more than 3 people with different last names to live in a house because it will then be considered a 'brothel.'

The bad teeth in Lubbock comes from high levels of fluoride. There teeth are strong but are very stained. As for the law about three people in one house, that is just to keep a bunch of college students from renting a home in a neighborhood and causing problems. It has nothing to do with a brothel. I sure no some east texas towns that people's teeth seem a lot worse. I guess if you don't have any you can't call them bad.

The bad teeth in Lubbock comes from high levels of fluoride.

Can someone explain this? I don't get how fluoride causes bad teeth. :confused:

I see. Interesting.