LVI or PANKEY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bu_dentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
where is the best place to get trained in cosmetic? does anyone have any experience with either of these places? how do the programs work and how do you get certified in procedures? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bu_dentist said:
where is the best place to get trained in cosmetic? does anyone have any experience with either of these places? how do the programs work and how do you get certified in procedures? thanks

The programs work by taking a whole bunch of your money. You get certified in these procedures by becoming a dentist (its a frickin crown, not a specialty procedure). If you want to learn about better esthetics, read about esthetic crown lengthening and get a good lab.

I know people that went to Pankey and loved it. I have seen some of their work and it is good. I know they teach a lot about occlusion and full mouth rehab. Can't say much more about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
LVI teaches dentists to cater to the rich and is all about high pressure "sales pitches" for procedures like full mouth reconstruction, veneers, etc. Not sure about Pankey, but I know that if you're more interested in doing quality work than turning your office into a day spa, then you should check out some of the CE classes by Dr. Frank Spear. The man is absolutely amazing and really an excellent teacher.

LVI seems like you could learn to do some really cool things like Full Mouth Rehab or full mouth veneers, but I'm not sure how comfortable you'd be with some of the stuff you'd be taught. I learned the term "prophylactic endodontic therapy" from listening to someone from LVI. This was given in the context of a patient (with pretty crowded/misaligned teeth) who wanted a new smile but didn't want ortho. So, he had to do a couple prophylactic endos before he reduced the teeth -- just in case he hit pulp while he was prepping the teeth that were bucking out towards the buccal.

I'm not sure whether that sort of aggressive therapy is the exception or the rule...

Try them both and take the best from them. I like the Pankey approach to occlusion. Be careful with LVI some of their "concepts" I'd question. I think their neuromuscular approach is wrong and a set up for a disaster. The elective endo, the NTI etc is scary but may be what gives results to some patients.
You have to think for yourself!
When you cut that tooth, you OWN it, don't let it come back to haunt you.

PS Frank Spears and John Kios is awesome. check them out!