Lying about Intern Experience on Job Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should someone lie about internship experience on their job application?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No, and they shouldn't be practicing either

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

taco911

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a good variety of replies here, so I can forward the thread to the people involved.

My sister in law was looking for work as RPh. My mother in law and sister in law decided they would make up a fake internship with me, then have potential hiring managers call me for a professional reference. Not that it should matter, but this was not an act of desperation, she had options for employment. They must think they own me to think I would go along, but there's NO WAY. If anything I would have told the hiring manager the truth.

I am both ashamed and embarrassed. If I can't trust you to be honest in a job application, how can I trust you to be honest in your work? And if you got the job, how can you look yourself in the mirror knowing you're a fraud?
My in laws believe they are OK and that it's reasonable to fake an internship. If you were in my shoes, what would you tell them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't get the purpose of this post. Who's going to vote yes?

That is like creating a survey about "is water blue," or "should I go to pharmacy school in 2021?"

Reactions: 2 users
I don't get the purpose of this post. Who's going to vote yes?

That is like creating a survey about "is water blue," or "should I go to pharmacy school in 2021?"

That's the thing. To 99.999% of us, we know this is wrong.
But to my mother in law and sister in law, the ends justify the means. So they would vote YES. I need them to understand that nobody on this planet will agree with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, I get it. Your family wants to use you and it almost sounds like you guys have communication issues. You are upset. But to post a poll where you tell us what the answer should be?

Just tell them no. You don’t need an sdn poll

Reactions: 5 users
OP doesn't tell the whole story. In reality, he was the one who made his fiancée and in-law family believe pharmacist is a glorious profession, saving people's lives and making tons of money. They looked up to him and sent their daughter to pharmacy school while married another to a pharmacist. A few years later, his in-law family was so mad at him they threatened divorce unless he could find her a job. But he could not, he himself struggles to stay employed.

Tell them no. Your license will be at risk. The DEA and the BOP will eventually take you and your in laws to task if they notice something unusual in terms of dispensing prescriptions etc., even if corporate hires your sister in law

There's something called a background check.

Also, as mentioned on Reddit remember that pharmacy is a small world. If employers find out about your scheme then both you AND your SIL could be blacklisted.

Hi taco911,
I understand your concern about lying for someone else. You need think about what your priorities in life are - is it your job or your family( the people you care about)? I think the choice is obvious. Jobs and money come and go, but there's nothing more important than family. Plus it sounds like she is already receiving job offers. I think you can be confident that she will not be an incompetent pharmacist. Remember why you chose this career as pharmacist: it is to help people and who better to help than your family?

I'm hoping to get a good variety of replies here, so I can forward the thread to the people involved.

My sister in law was looking for work as RPh. My mother in law and sister in law decided they would make up a fake internship with me, then have potential hiring managers call me for a professional reference. Not that it should matter, but this was not an act of desperation, she had options for employment. They must think they own me to think I would go along, but there's NO WAY. If anything I would have told the hiring manager the truth.

I am both ashamed and embarrassed. If I can't trust you to be honest in a job application, how can I trust you to be honest in your work? And if you got the job, how can you look yourself in the mirror knowing you're a fraud?
My in laws believe they are OK and that it's reasonable to fake an internship. If you were in my shoes, what would you tell them?

Just for the hell of it, you should look up the provisions in your practice act for "moral turpitude." You know, the one thing is guaranteed to be considered that is fraud, due to a federal ruling on the matter.

It wouldn't be just a blacklisting, it would be a severe license offense as it undermines public confidence in the integrity of the practice experience. I would say that you ought to explain to the hiring manager if asked that you are family and thus should not weigh in on a hiring decision. But if asked explicitly, you are to tell the truth.

Reactions: 3 users
So when did she realize an internship was important? Or did she know all along and planned this while she was in school so she'd get to save all that extra time to chill?

If it's retail I don't think anyone actually calls references?

If I hated that person I'd report it to the board of pharmacy. However I doubt they would take any action. You'd have to reach peeping tom or selling counterfeit wares level (things that would you be criminally charged for) to get attention

It`s not an act of desperation, huh

It`s either you are lying to us or they are lying to you.
Or you are all just stupid.

Ask them if they are willing to be accountable for supporting you if you lose your job for this action. If they are not willing, then they have their answer.