lysosome in RBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
RBC is missing nucleus so how can it have lysosome?
I thought lysosome is protein that is repackaged in golgi.

If nucleus is absent, it can't make protein so how can it have protein that can be repackaged in golgi?

Members don't see this ad.

RBC is missing nucleus so how can it have lysosome?
I thought lysosome is protein that is repackaged in golgi.

If nucleus is absent, it can't make protein so how can it have protein that can be repackaged in golgi?

RBC's aren't "born" without a nucleus. They just lose it when they mature.

a lysosome isnt a protein its an organelle thats crucial to the cell for breaking down material and is noted for its very acidic pH.....im not sure if the RBC lacks a lysosome lets wait to see wat the czar's have to say

a lysosome isnt a protein its an organelle thats crucial to the cell for breaking down material and is noted for its very acidic pH.....im not sure if the RBC lacks a lysosome lets wait to see wat the czar's have to say

but i thought that lysosome are produced from golgi after proteins enter it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mammalian erythrocytes have nuclei during early phases of development, but extrude them as they mature in order to provide more space for hemoglobin. Mammalian erythrocytes also lose their other organelles such as their mitochondria. As a result, the cells use none of the oxygen they transport; instead they produce the energy carrier ATP by fermentation, via glycolysis of glucose followed by lactic acid production.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_blood_cell)
So, according to this they lose their cellular organelles (Not sure if they lose their lysosomes). However, it makes sense if they lack lysosomes, because lysosomes are primarily involved in intracellular digestion, which is why they're quite abundant in leukocytes (white blood cells) and other phagocytic cells. On the other hand, RBCs are primarily involved in oxygen transport, and they are not categorized as phagocytic cells. Also, remember that RBCs aren't really living cells, because they can't maintain themselves due to lack of nucleus. So, I don't think they really need any mechanism/organell that provides them means of intracellular digestion and feeding.

Eh? RBC's don't have any organelles...thus it won't have any golgi either. RBC main purpose is to maximize O2 capacity, organelles will just get in the way.