M.A. vs. more specialized masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeoffO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation:

I am looking to eventually get my Psy.D. I applying to Psy.D programs but I am also applying to masters level programs becuase although I have loads of experience and great letters of reccommendation, I'm worried that my GPA wont cut it on the doctoral level. This is why I'm looking to use a masters as a stepping stone.

My question is if liberal arts masters with a concentration (looking for programs focused in some regard to clinical psych or school psych) is looked down upon next to a more focused masters program. There is another issue though which is I am having trouble finding specialized masters programs in my area of interest. All I'm finding is masters of mental health counseling and counseling psych (neither of which I want to do)..

any ideas?

also I am generally looking in the Boston / New England area

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know what is available in that area, but if your goal is just wanting to boost your GPA, any masters program in psychology will do. However, a masters in clinical or general experimental psych would be the best.

If you don't want to do counseling, then why get a Psy.D.? Since the Vail model is basically a "practice doctorate"? Unless you're looking to do more clinically based work, in which case a clinical MSW (masters in social work) should be what you're looking for.

Also, are you sure your GPA is too low? Good LORs and experience will often go a long ways toward getting you in. But it will definitely get you into a masters program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I am in Boston....
So, I'm not sure what you mean by Master's programs in your area of specialization, what is that area? You mentioned Clinical and School (VERY different M.A.'s), so perhaps an M.A. in General Psychology is best for you until you find your focus:

BU has a 1 year M.A. in Psych
UMass-Dartmouth as an M.A. in Psychology (with an option for a Clinical specialiation) they claim on their website 80 percent get into Doctoral programs....
Hartford has a General M.A. and a Clinical M.A., the Clinical M.A. would wipe a year off their Psy.D. if you chose to do it there.
Connecticut College has a General M.A.
Southern CT State has a General M.A.
Central CT State has a General M.A.
And a bunch of schools offer Master's in School Psych so..

Hope that helped....
Jon

I don't want to do an MSW as its a social work degree and I'm not looking to go into social work although with an LICSW, I could be generally doing the same with more options in some regards and less in others.

this does help thank you

I should probably point out here that I'm getting an MSW with no intention of going into social work in the traditional sense- I'll be getting licensure to work as a full-time therapist.

I did I little poking around, and Oklahoma State University in Stillwater has a REALLY GOOD school psych program with master's options (it goes through a Ph.D., but they also have terminal masters programs, and the masters program is fabulous- I talked to several faculty members). I recommend looking at them- you can also continue on to a Ph.D. if you like their program (and, you know, they take you).

It doesn't matter as much that you don't fit research interests to a "T" in your MA/MS program as much as it does in the PhD/PsyD. I'd try to get somewhere in the ballpark. For instance, I came into my MA program under the impression that I'd be doing smoking cessation research (not my preference at all) and ended up doing cortical control of the cardiovascular system. Good luck to you friend.