M.D./D.O. dichotomy and May 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolFool

Shake Zula
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose you have been accepted to 1 allopathic school and 1 osteopathic school. Do you have to withdraw from 1 of them by May 15, or since they are pretty much separate systems, can you hold on to your seat in each until you make up your mind?

Also, if you recieve another offer after May 15, can you jump ship if the school is more preferable for personal/financial reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

Suppose you have been accepted to 1 allopathic school and 1 osteopathic school. Do you have to withdraw from 1 of them by May 15, or since they are pretty much separate systems, can you hold on to your seat in each until you make up your mind?

The AACOM and AAMC don't usually communicate with one another for admissions purposes, therefore, I doubt you will have any difficulty keeping both seats. Keep in mind, however, the deposits for osteopathic schools are usually non-refundable and are quite expensive.

For the benefit of those still waiting for a spot, release your seat from the school in which have decided to withdraw your acceptance as soon as you know which one you do want.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply spice. Of course I am going to relinquish my seat at either of the schools as soon as I have decided, but I need a little longer than May 15 to know for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you recieve another offer after May 15, can you jump ship if the school is more preferable for personal/financial reasons?

Speaking of allo schools, if a school is going to offer you an acceptance after May 15, they will see where you are currently holding a spot and inform both you and them of their offer. If you are accepting a spot at the new school you have to simultaneously relinquish your spot at the other school. Per AMCAS/AAMC rules, you absolutely cannot hold two acceptances after May 15.

Suppose you have been accepted to 1 allopathic school and 1 osteopathic school. Do you have to withdraw from 1 of them by May 15...

Just for giggles...which two schools might you be referring to?

Yes, you can switch, but you must withdraw and accept simultaneously.

Just for giggles...which two schools might you be referring to?

VCU and PCOM. I could care less about the whole MD vs. DO advantages/disadvantages. What I'm most concerned about is which place me and my family will be happiest in for the next 4 years, possibly more; Richmond or Philly.