M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consigliere

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Good for them!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
For those more politically involved, why not take the next steps. It appears that our profession is under duress and we only play defense against CRnA encroachment. Any reason why ASA or other societies do not now go to the 17 "opt out states" and try to revert them back to requiring physician supervision?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those more politically involved, why not take the next steps. It appears that our profession is under duress and we only play defense against CRnA encroachment. Any reason why ASA or other societies do not now go to the 17 "opt out states" and try to revert them back to requiring physician supervision?
Because they may give ideas to the other 33 states. Better is the enemy of good. ;)

We don't have much data to prove that our care is better than the CRNAs', for the simple reason that any study that would assign sick people to CRNAs could be unethical (and no IRB would sign off on it).

What the ASA actually does need to fix is the Medicare incentive payment for rural CRNAs (and extend it to anesthesiologists, too).

Reactions: 1 users
What the ASA actually does need to fix is the Medicare incentive payment for rural CRNAs (and extend it to anesthesiologists, too).

Bingo!! Until this happens there is no way to bring those 17 states back.

Reactions: 1 user
Bingo!! Until this happens there is no way to bring those 17 states back.

I think that's often over-stated. It applies only to critical access hospitals, which amounts to a relatively tiny number of jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's often over-stated. It applies only to critical access hospitals, which amounts to a relatively tiny number of jobs.
That is true, but the AANA then uses the fact that the hospitals have a strong financial incentive to only bring on CRNAs to say that anesthesiologists refuse to work there, so independent CRNAs are required for patients to get care, period.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users