M3 chances for getting in ENT residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockRT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a M3 at an average medical school in the US. Here are my score:
Step1: 229
AOA: no
Class Ranking: in 3rd quatile
Publications: nothing to date, working on some at this time
ENT Rotations: we don't have an ENT residency program, I'm trying to get some aways and work with the local ENT docs
Clerckship honors: Surgery, Medicine, OB, rest are A's

Do I really have a change in getting in an ENT program? Do you guys have any examples of a great PS?

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a M3 at an average medical school in the US. Here are my score:
Step1: 229
AOA: no
Class Ranking: in 3rd quatile
Publications: nothing to date, working on some at this time
ENT Rotations: we don't have an ENT residency program, I'm trying to get some aways and work with the local ENT docs
Clerckship honors: Surgery, Medicine, OB, rest are A's

Do I really have a change in getting in an ENT program? Do you guys have any examples of a great PS?

Thank you!!!!

Step 1: not great, not horrible. May get weeded out pre-interview at some places with this score.

Class rank: definitely not ideal. Though sounds like you are doing much better M3 year. Clinical grades >>> M1-M2 grades in importance to your application.

Research: get on this. Your application needs some strengthening and this is a good way to do that.

ENT rotations: definitely do a rotation at your home school. Since you have no home residency, you may want to consider doing 2 aways.

Clerkships: sounds like you are doing well, though some rotations are graded H/P/F and others are A-F?

With some effort over the next year and applying broadly, I think you still have a reasonably good chance of matching. You need to focus on research experience and getting good letters of rec.

OtoHNS thank you so much for your reply and for your honesty. clerkship grades are H/ A-F. However, how would I improve my application with ENT research if in town is only a private ENT practice (with no research involvement) and no ENT residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
OtoHNS thank you so much for your reply and for your honesty. clerkship grades are H/ A-F. However, how would I improve my application with ENT research if in town is only a private ENT practice (with no research involvement) and no ENT residency?

I thought you said you had publications in the works. These are non-ENT, then?

For ENT research-

1. At least talk to the private guys in town, maybe they are willing to help and do some sort of small scale study with you. Especially if you are willing to do all the work on it.
2. Can try to find an interesting case that one of them has seen recently and write a case report about it.
3. Do a case report and/or chart review with an attending during your away rotation. There's not time for much more in a month.
4. Get involved with another department's research project that overlaps with ENT (neurology, neurosurg, neuroradiology, emergency med (for ENT emergencies), pediatrics, general surgery, endocrine (thyroid), etc, etc).
5. For a much more hardcore approach, consider taking a year off to do an ENT research fellowship, there are several out there (some have been advertised on this forum in the past few months if I remember correctly).

I thought you said you had publications in the works. These are non-ENT, then?

For ENT research-

1. At least talk to the private guys in town, maybe they are willing to help and do some sort of small scale study with you. Especially if you are willing to do all the work on it.
2. Can try to find an interesting case that one of them has seen recently and write a case report about it.
3. Do a case report and/or chart review with an attending during your away rotation. There's not time for much more in a month.
4. Get involved with another department's research project that overlaps with ENT (neurology, neurosurg, neuroradiology, emergency med (for ENT emergencies), pediatrics, general surgery, endocrine (thyroid), etc, etc).
5. For a much more hardcore approach, consider taking a year off to do an ENT research fellowship, there are several out there (some have been advertised on this forum in the past few months if I remember correctly).

I'm looking for year-long ENT research fellowships between MS3 and MS4. Any suggestions/success stories/etc? I'm not having a ton of luck at the moment.