M4 Child & Adolescent Rotation Resource Request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoeboid

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, M4 here going into psychiatry. I have a child & adolescent inpatient rotation coming up, and I am seeking recommendations for reading material. I could not find much searching the forum, and apologize if I overlooked anything.

So far I've found the Dulcan text and chapters in the APA Textbook of Psychiatry and Kaplan and Sadock. Before I dive any deeper, is one of the above better than the others, or should I be tracking down another resource I've overlooked entirely? I don't have a very good idea about what I'll encounter during this rotation or what the expectations for me will be, but I'd like to make a strong effort in order to see if C&A is a field I might consider pursuing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had C&A for my 3rd year psych rotation. I didn't read any specific book but more found relevant articles for whatever specific cases came onto the unit when I was there and it worked for me!

Reactions: 1 user
Read through the DSM regarding childhood disorder criteria, whatever psychopharm book you like, and ask the attendings for AACAP orange journal practice parameter and 10 year review articles for various disorders (or copy them from the collection your department or medical library should have for free). Autism, adhd, depression, bipolar, ptsd, substance abuse and schizophrenia are the bare minimum.

Reactions: 1 users