M5 Correlation to ITEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cognitus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a PGY1 last year, I scored 94% percentile on ITEs. Figured that was because other PGY-1s didn't know much. I've been doing M5 and it seems like I'm getting 70-75% of those questions right. How does this correlate to ITEs? Are ITEs harder or easier than M5? My goal is to get over 90% percentile but I'd be ok if I got at least 80% percentile this year.

Members don't see this ad.

I have done pretty well on my ITEs (although I have never sniffed 94th percentile), and I felt like M5 was way over my head as a CA1, and that it was more geared towards people studying for written boards. That said if that's what it takes to challenge yourself, by all means, have at it. The more you learn, the better you'll do on your ITE, and theoretically, the better resident you will become.

I am planning to revisit M5 at a later date.

As a PGY1 last year, I scored 94% percentile on ITEs. Figured that was because other PGY-1s didn't know much. I've been doing M5 and it seems like I'm getting 70-75% of those questions right. How does this correlate to ITEs? Are ITEs harder or easier than M5? My goal is to get over 90% percentile but I'd be ok if I got at least 80% percentile this year.

I can't remember my scores on M5 as a CA1, but I went through it slowly once, in the 3-4 weeks leading up to the ITE. I ran out of time on the last few sections, chronic pain, regional etc and had to breeze over them. IIRC I was scoring between 50-70% as a CA1 and I ended up with a 90th percentile on the ITE. It's not as important to get the question right as is it is to understand why you got the question wrong/right and make sure you understand the concepts tested before moving on to the next question.