MA MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamingoftmrw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or know of someone who has recently taken the Massachusetts MPJE? I'm having trouble finding study material and am wondering what people have used to study? Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience or know of someone who has recently taken the Massachusetts MPJE? I'm having trouble finding study material and am wondering what people have used to study? Thanks in advance for any help!

HI. I am also in the same boat, cannot find a nice/concise document or book to study. It seems like the bulletin that the board posts (with all the links) is the best way to study. I also went ahead and bought the federal book from RXPrep just for the hell of it. Hoping working in MA for 3 years as an intern will be enough to pass!! I did also find some quizlets on google that have been helpful. Good luck!!

HI. I am also in the same boat, cannot find a nice/concise document or book to study. It seems like the bulletin that the board posts (with all the links) is the best way to study. I also went ahead and bought the federal book from RXPrep just for the hell of it. Hoping working in MA for 3 years as an intern will be enough to pass!! I did also find some quizlets on google that have been helpful. Good luck!!

Thanks so much for your input! I've tried scouring the internet for any help and I can't find anything except the bulletin on the board website as well. Good to know I'm not the only one having trouble finding more info and I'll definitely check out the quizlets! Good luck studying as well!!

Thanks so much for your input! I've tried scouring the internet for any help and I can't find anything except the bulletin on the board website as well. Good to know I'm not the only one having trouble finding more info and I'll definitely check out the quizlets! Good luck studying as well!!

I actually took the exam this past Monday and found it quite difficult actually. The law questions (the way they ask them) are very specific. For example, you can't just know that you keep prescription records for 2 years, you have to know 2 years from which date. Which is simple I would think, but in the setting of the exam I was completely thrown off. I also had lots of compounding questions, but word on the street is that they could possibly be drafting another CMR so those may be test questions. All of the questions are very "what if" situational, and I had a lot of select all that apply questions (which options through G!), insane! Anyways let me know if you have anymore questions and I can try and tell you which links on the bulletin are most important. I simply could not read all of them because it is exhausting and not easy to stare at a long legislation law trying to decipher it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually took the exam this past Monday and found it quite difficult actually. The law questions (the way they ask them) are very specific. For example, you can't just know that you keep prescription records for 2 years, you have to know 2 years from which date. Which is simple I would think, but in the setting of the exam I was completely thrown off. I also had lots of compounding questions, but word on the street is that they could possibly be drafting another CMR so those may be test questions. All of the questions are very "what if" situational, and I had a lot of select all that apply questions (which options through G!), insane! Anyways let me know if you have anymore questions and I can try and tell you which links on the bulletin are most important. I simply could not read all of them because it is exhausting and not easy to stare at a long legislation law trying to decipher it. Good luck!
Hi, I am going to take exam in 1 week, can u plz tell me which links on the bulletin are most important and which study materials did u follow

Congratulations

So definitely read through the CMR and anything related to control substances. I also read through the policies and advisories link. The ones I did not really go through in too much detail were the "legislation laws" that were entire chapters on the MA legislation website. I purchased the federal book through RXPrep and thought that was a nice way to pull out the important things federally, then on your own apply the MA laws. When I walked out of the exam I felt so worried because the questions are worded funky and hard to understand. If you have any experience working in the state of MA, you should be okay. I really relied on my ability to make the best choice based on the options given. Hopefully this helps guide you a bit, let me know if there are still more questions.

MA board of pharmacy put out a letter for MPJE to candidates:
Apply for a pharmacist license

Scroll down and you will see a download link for either PDF or .DOCX format titled, "Open DOCX file, 46.59 KB, forMultistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE) Review Information."

That will give you convenient links to all the potential material on the MPJE-MA.

Focus on 247 CMR, DEA Pharmacist's manual, MA BOP policies/advisories. The policies and advisories seem like a lot to read, but they are 3 pages each at most and really clarify some regulations and in some cases, are repetitive enough that you feel like, "alright alright, I got it." There's no excuse to not reading the 247 CMR, it is the meat and bones of the MPJE-MA and it will directly affect your practice in MA in many ways.

105 CMR is good to know - look at what MA defines as "mid-level practitioners" who can prescribe. What can they prescribe? In what situations can they have certain controlled substances?

MGL c94 is good to read, as dry as it is. It overlaps with the federal law on some concepts, but there are MA-specific requirements in this section you should know such as who to report to when something happens with a controlled substance.

I used RXprep MPJE for the federal law review and found it helpful.

No excuse to not knowing what adulteration and misbranding means. They've got their separate links in that letter, and are specific MPJE-tested points according to the NAPLEX/MPJE bulletin. It's going to come up, like it or not.

MA board of pharmacy put out a letter for

That will give you convenient links to all the potential material on the MPJE-MA.

Focus on 247 CMR, DEA Pharmacist's manual, MA BOP policies/advisories. The policies and advisories seem like a lot to read, but they are 3 pages each at most and really clarify some regulations and in some cases, are repetitive enough that you feel like, "alright alright, I got it." There's no excuse to not reading the 247 CMR, it is the meat and bones of the MPJE-MA and it will directly affect your practice in MA in many ways.

105 CMR is good to know - look at what MA defines as "mid-level practitioners" who can prescribe. What can they prescribe? In what situations can they have certain controlled substances?

MGL c94 is good to read, as dry as it is. It overlaps with the federal law on some concepts, but there are MA-specific requirements in this section you should know such as who to report to when something happens with a controlled substance.

I used RXprep MPJE for the federal law review and found it helpful.

No excuse to not knowing what adulteration and misbranding means. They've got their separate links in that letter, and are specific MPJE-tested points according to the NAPLEX/MPJE bulletin. It's going to come up, like it or not.
Thank u so much for your detailed answer, I bought mass package from bop which focuses on 247 and 105 and federal from Reiss and hall. Apart from that what are the links I should study.when I go through the links they are there is soooo much information and so many inner links. I am totally confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,
I also recently took the MA MPJE last Tuesday and found out my results this past Friday-- I passed, but just barely. It was a very difficult exam. I also found that the study material I used was ok, but not sufficient. I went on mass.gov and downloaded CMR 247, 105. I also looked at Joint Policies as well. I also read Chapter 94C. There wasn't that much federal material, as I felt my exam focused more on MA law. But I still would suggest reading federal, just in case. For federal, I used RxPrep. I worked in pharmacy in the state of MA for over 5 years. I wouldn't necessarily say that it helped me in anyway, maybe a little bit. I found the exam to be very random and some questions weren't even in the material I used. If I were to do it again, I'm not sure what I would have done differently but read CMR 247, 105, Chapter 94c again and again. I did the best I could and luckily it was enough. Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank u so much for your detailed answer, I bought mass package from bop which focuses on 247 and 105 and federal from Reiss and hall. Apart from that what are the links I should study.when I go through the links they are there is soooo much information and so many inner links. I am totally confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Everything that is on the letter from the MA BOP is fair game.

247 CMR, DEA pharmacist's manual, MGL, policies, and all the federal laws should give you a good start.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much to everyone for your insight and advice into studying for the MA MPJE! All your responses are greatly appreciated!!