Mac or PC????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thailandluv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to med school next year and my parents want to get me a new laptop :). I've always had a pc, but now I want a mac because its damn sexy. Whats best for med school??

Members don't see this ad.

I hate these threads with a passion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac.

sorry gotta love the MAC!

...and damn sexy!

Also, I've had both kinds of laptops, a Mac and a Dell PC. Mac blows the Dell out of the water in every aspect imaginable.

Going to med school next year and my parents want to get me a new laptop :). I've always had a pc, but now I want a mac because its damn sexy. Whats best for med school??
What part of med school would require either?
Macs - fischer price computers
PC - over-extended, highly useable, relatively buggy computers

If you like the convenience of Macs (assuming you've tried em), go ahead and get it. If you like not only having the ability manipulate your operating system, but having more access to more software (assuming you're not going to put windows on your mac), stick with PC

Also - have you considered netbooks?
google it - highly portable, lightweight laptops that put even those newer macs to shame (and only cost 400-500)
I hate these threads with a passion.
Ditto

Also, I've had both kinds of laptops, a Mac and a Dell PC. Mac blows the Dell out of the water in every aspect imaginable.
Except price

I cannot believe the amount of money people pay for those things

Except price

I cannot believe the amount of money people pay for those things

Student discount + clearance sale = getting the second-to-latest MacBook Pro for 1200. Cha ching, period :]

Student discount + clearance sale = getting the second-to-latest MacBook Pro for 1200. Cha ching, period :]
And I guarantee I can find a laptop with the exact same specs for a lower price :laugh:

And I guarantee I can find a laptop with the exact same specs for a lower price :laugh:

And if you could I'm sure the difference could be made up with mine being a Mac :laugh:

And if you could I'm sure the difference could be made up with mine being a Mac :laugh:

No, the difference is you guys don't have to say "Ugh, Vista? Ugh, $150 to DOWNGRADE? Ugh, Ugh Ugh":smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the difference is you guys don't have to say "Ugh, Vista? Ugh, $150 to DOWNGRADE? Ugh, Ugh Ugh":smuggrin:

Ha that is what pushed me to a Mac to begin with when I got this thing back in March.

Though I think this is a classic trolling attempt, a poll would be nice. No?

- JARB

GO PC man, I love PCs, for me they are much more convenient. Macs are better with graphics and less viruses I believe, but overall PC is awesome (not vista, XP)

Ha that is what pushed me to a Mac to begin with when I got this thing back in March.

I used to have a PC and let me tell you...PCs suck... When my old laptop died, around the time when Vista came out...I made sure that I got a Mac.

I used to have a PC and let me tell you...PCs suck... When my old laptop died, around the time when Vista came out...I made sure that I got a Mac.
And none of that had to do with the company making the laptop, dated hardware or anything like that?

Regardless, the opinion is yours

And none of that had to do with the company making the laptop, dated hardware or anything like that?

Regardless, the opinion is yours

Okay fine, SONY VAIO laptops, (which are PCs) SUCK! Happy!:)

I'll pay the extra money for the mac to a) not worry about viruses b) have excellent customer service c) not have my comp constantly break down

How is this a classic troll attempt? :confused:

The Mac v. PC question is sort of like asking MD v. DO, which is a classic trolling tactic. A poll would still be nice.

Hear, hear. (here, here) haha

Another vote for polls.

And Dells. Nearly everyone I know who's had a Dell laptop has had problems with it.

Thats because dells cost a reasonable price for the parts so more people can afford them, i.e. more people have them, and thus u hear about more problems.

Macs are made to be idiot proof. You give up certain things for this, like customizability and added third party options (software).

Point is it doesnt really matter for med school.

If you like being able to have control of your computer get a PC
If your not very computer savvy and have the dough get mac

Also a search would have found a billion of the same thread.

If you like being able to have control of your computer get a PC
If your not very computer savvy and have the dough get mac

I never understood this argument. Sure, the front-end of Mac OS X is more minimalistic, but I doubt that anyone with a working knowledge of Unix would agree that you have less control over a Mac than a PC.

I have both, and I am honestly neutral.

If you want to spend money then go ahead and get a Mac. If you want the best bang for your buck, get a PC. Mac's are limited by program's (especially games), and despite common knowledge you're not going to see much quicker performance in OS X than Vista (exception: OS X does boot/shutdown/sleep faster than vista). In fact, when I had Vista and OS X installed on my Macbook (2.0Ghz, 2.0GB DDR2) it often took longer to load programs in OS X than Vista on the MacBook... I'd get irritated as the dumb icon's would bounce away in my dock. However, OS X is a bit leaner overall and certain tasks are a little faster, but don't be fooled into thinking it's super lean and that the difference is significant.

I've owned Mac's, PC's, and have run quite a few Linux machines (basic firewall/http/ftp/samba junk) and here is my final conclusion: If money isn't an option and it's just simple day-to-day usage, I'd get a base-model Mac b/c they look cool and OS X is nice and easy to use. If you actually want some performance and you want to take money into consideration, buy a PC--you can get a MUCH more powerful PC than Mac for any given price.

Performance/Price ratio: PC's win hands-down
Coolness Factor: OS X wins

JM .02

GO PC man, I love PCs, for me they are much more convenient. Macs are better with graphics and less viruses I believe, but overall PC is awesome (not vista, XP)
Just an FYI, that's a false statement. This was true in the past when Apple had exclusive deals with Adobe, but things have changed. Photoshop, etc, is the same for both OS's. Your graphics experiences comes down to the power of your machine and quality of your monitor, and in that department you can build a much more solid PC for the same price.

Thats because dells cost a reasonable price for the parts so more people can afford them, i.e. more people have them, and thus u hear about more problems.

Yeah, this is ridiculous. People will compare a $500 laptop with a 4200 RPM HDD, 512 MB RAM, etc, etc. to their new $1200 MacBook and then think the comparison is fair. :laugh:

Everyone who has a MacBook, install Vista on it and tell me how much slower it is (or isn't) :p

I ran Vista/XP/OS X and Ubuntu Linux 8.0 on my MacBook at one time or another so I've got first hand experience.

The best thing about Mac's is their resale value. I got about 80% of it's value after a year when I decided to sell my Macbook because it wasn't fast enough to do anything fun and there weren't software options available for many things I do.

Last edited:
I never understood this argument. Sure, the front-end of Mac OS X is more minimalistic, but I doubt that anyone with a working knowledge of Unix would agree that you have less control over a Mac than a PC.

No medical student is going to start automating the typesetting of their class notes in LaTeX using Python. The Free BSD platform under OS X is useless for ninety-nine percent of us.

The true computer scientists will either run a Linux flavor exclusively, or will dual boot with Windows. Sure, OS X looks nice, but Macs are more expensive and will be less compatible with your school's/institution's proprietary software.

No medical student is going to start automating the typesetting of their class notes in LaTeX using Python. The Free BSD platform under OS X is useless for ninety-nine percent of us.

The true computer scientists will either run a Linux flavor exclusively, or will dual boot with Windows. Sure, OS X looks nice, but Macs are more expensive and will be less compatible with your school's/institution's proprietary software.
You've extended my argument beyond what's reasonable. My point was that it's ridiculous to say that one OS is less customizable than the other when running commands in terminal negates many arguments for a less customizable OS X. Also consider that third-party tools will allow customizations regardless of the platform you're on.

Anyway, I was going to post this separately, but since I'm replying already, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azQ6JmYNi3M

I guess it should be no surprise that Windows 7 Beta works on a Macbook, but it's cool to see it anyway. For the sake of balance, I should point out that if you're going to run Windows exclusively anyway, just get a Windows machine.

what exactly are you doing on this computer to begin with? everyone was freaking out about laptops for college and on the end, we all used AIM MS Word and IE/Safari/FFX and that was it. Some guys gamed, some people used graphics programs.

As med students youll be doing web centric things and possibly notetaking... so get something you can move around easily and type with thats not 5 years old... honestly your wasting your time figuring out which ones better. What programs? I purchased 5k worth of software for my PC b/c of heavy graphics and 3d design and nobody cared whether it was a pc or mac, and that was DESIGN school haha.

Look in your wallet, and than look at which brand suckers you in the most.

People are talking about "power" and PC's. Yes, you can buy a more powerful PC for less than you would pay for a Mac. But that added power won't help you when the next virus comes around (they always do) or when the operating system fails. Rebooting your computer constantly? Come on don't lie.. I've been using control alt delete since I was like seven. The mac loves to run. I rarely turn mine off. Close the lid. Done.

I've owned three apple laptops in the last 6 years and I can count on my left hand how many times they've frozen up - all three machines combined. They've always stayed pretty fast and have kept up with some pretty hefty software (prof recording programs).

Also, not once have I had to have someone fix my computer. Viruses? I haven't even thought about the possibility of a virus on my computers in years. Yet every PC I've ever owned I have had to whipe it clean and reinstall the OS. I've cleaned out probably 5 or 6 friends as well. Pretty brutal if you ask me.

If you like not only having the ability manipulate your operating system, but having more access to more software (assuming you're not going to put windows on your mac), stick with PC

What? Who here would just love to waste their time "manipulating their operating system?" :eek:

Software compatibility issues? Its over people. You can get a mac version for everything these days - I know there are the minute exceptions.. but I just don't care about the next version of some obscure computer game. I guess that works for me, maybe it doesn't for others. In general, if its popular enough for me to notice it, then its probably available for Mac.

Looks. They are beautiful.

They're FUN. Some cool features - magnetic power cords, backlit keyboards, great big neat trackpads (use two fingers and it scrolls for you, four fingers gets you to your dashboard - which is a whole new set of fun free things to play around with.) There's really so much more too. It would take too long.

Let's face it people. Apple is doing it right. Ever since the beginning of the iPod era and now to the iPhone, they're awesome. And it's all because they are completely focused on the user experience, which is what you have to deal with on a daily basis as a buyer.

In the end its a matter of preference.. really no hate to the PC people out there cause everyone has there personal needs. That said, as an ex PC user, I would literally cry if someone told me my next computer had to be a PC. Real tears too, not like glistening in the eyes or anything.

But that added power won't help you when the next virus comes around (they always do) or when the operating system fails. Rebooting your computer constantly? Come on don't lie.. I've been using control alt delete since I was like seven. The mac loves to run. I rarely turn mine off. Close the lid. Done.

Yet every PC I've ever owned I have had to whipe it clean and reinstall the OS.

There's a saying in the tech support community: PEBKAC. Look it up.

I've owned three apple laptops in the last 6 years and I can count on my left hand how many times they've frozen up - all three machines combined. They've always stayed pretty fast and have kept up with some pretty hefty software (prof recording programs).

I can say the same thing about my last 4 PCs, which have had between them 5 versions of Windows. I'd say that in the past 6 months, kernel panics and spinning beachballs of death on my Macbook have been more common than BSODs on my Windows machines.

Neither environment is better than the other. It's just a matter of preference.

Last edited:
err i use internet things for about 90% of my computer time. it doesnt matter what kind of computer i use as long as i can browse and email and chat and ... wait thats really it. get a netbook or tiny laptop thats cheap and runs you around 500-700 bucks and youll be fine.

i won't understand the mac/pc argument anymore because in the last two years, i have shifted to internet applications and have so little dependence on my OS. I hope this clears up some thoughts - go cheap, go for what youll end up using. Experience is important but I don't see how the PC or the Mac will be better for gmail and SDN.

Don't buy a mac.

LOL. I could probably buy a comparable PC for $700. I could probably buy components and build one for $500. Why don't you just build your mac? Oh wait, you can't, because Apple made the decision not to sell components. You know why? To keep their prices high and their customers buying brand new computers when they could just be upgrading memory or a motherboard.

Yet every PC I've ever owned I have had to whipe it clean and reinstall the OS. I've cleaned out probably 5 or 6 friends as well. Pretty brutal if you ask me.
EBKAC

Last edited:
Apple made the decision not to sell components. You know why? To keep their prices high and their customers buying brand new computers when they could just be upgrading memory or a motherboard.

First, you can upgrade memory on Macs.

Second, although the proprietary components contribute to the business model, so too is it a technical consideration. Rather than suffering from incompatibilities between software & hardware seen on custom built or even factory assembled PCs, Apple's proprietary hardware is certain to work with every software approved by the company. It improves the end-user experience while also improving the ledger's bottom line.

Also, let's not forget that not every component is proprietary. The CPU, the GPU, the RAM, the optical drives, and the hard disks are all third-party and in some of Apple's computers can be replaced by the end-user.

i have used both and i prefer pcs. definitely. macs, you have no control over them, it's really annoying. for pc, don't get dell, it sucks. toshiba is by far the best. it's better than sony, which also sucks, acer which is okay, ibm which is okay, hp which is also okay and some other ones i've used. macs are also bad coz when you drop them, you're screwed but i've dropped my laptop a few times and it's fine. also incompatibility issues. tdkitty i disagree 100%. there are still programs that are not compatible and even when they are there are many problems when they are just moving it over to the apple interface. as a person who uses both, i have experienced many problems installing mac compatible software onto macs.

Last edited:
Apple's proprietary hardware is certain to work with every software approved by the company. It improves the end-user experience while also improving the ledger's bottom line.

Also, let's not forget that not every component is proprietary. The CPU, the GPU, the RAM, the optical drives, and the hard disks are all third-party and in some of Apple's computers can be replaced by the end-user.

this is the problem, as a mac user pointed out. if you only want to use what you are told to. no freedom. sucks.

and changing compenents within a MAC is super expensive if something is broken. my friend's wireless broke in her mac, they told her it would cost $700 for 'parts' and 'labor' i told her to buy a toshiba. now shes much happier.

dell does NOT represent PCs. dells are crap. heavy too.

I don't know... I've heard nice things about the XPS line.

o okay. i personally haven't used any in the xps line so i can't decide but for any other dell i've used. are the xps ones bulky? i don't understand why all the dells i've seen are bulky even if the screen size isn't that big.

o okay. i personally haven't used any in the xps line so i can't decide but for any other dell i've used. are the xps ones bulky? i don't understand why all the dells i've seen are bulky even if the screen size isn't that big.
No they're pretty typical. Not too bulky or too slender.

They used to be more expensive so not too many people had them, but they're catching on since you can typically find them on sale for ~$800 with a good configuration.

hmm okay. i definitely won't get one, but i guess that's good for dell. haha

and changing compenents within a MAC is super expensive if something is broken. my friend's wireless broke in her mac, they told her it would cost $700 for 'parts' and 'labor' i told her to buy a toshiba. now shes much happier.

Yeah. Their service sucks, but you can mitigate it with a good credit card from Citi or American Express. They extend the warranty by one additional year (2 years total), provide free accident & theft coverage too for I forgot how long.

Just call them up and they'll credit you back (usually easier with AMEX).

Status
Not open for further replies.