Mac or PC????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigabyte?! I'm sorry, but that falls under the POS I was referring to earlier. As for a quality power supply, I agree completely. One surprising thing about Alienware is that their power supply is from a no name vendor. The only thing worse than spending hours troubleshooting to end up at your mobo is to end up at your PSU... especially if your PSU kills something else (knock on wood).
Um, Gigabyte actually makes quality boards. In terms of hardware failure, mobos are where I have seen the absolute fewest problems. I see tons of CPU, memory, power supply, and drive issues, but I have only ever encountered one motherboard problem. And it was a DFI.

Members don't see this ad.

I run two desktop PCs and one laptop daily. None of them have any anti-virus/anti-spyware software, and I am constantly downloading files and going to sites I shouldn't. I've never had any problems with viruses. Why? I know wtf I'm doing.

To the dude that said "my sister goes to MIT." First, you sound ******ed saying that MIT bull****. "OMG she went to MIT she must be the smartest ever!!!" Second, I know lots of people that have prestigious comp sci. degrees that I can code circles around. And I have an economics degree.

Macs are designed to be streamlined. The software and hardware is built by the same company, so clearly they're going to be more user friendly and have less problems. Windows OTOH is designed to work with thousands of different configurations, and it's virtually impossible that it will work perfectly on all them. There aren't viruses for Macs because a very small percentage of people use them. Why write a virus that will barely effect anyone? Personally, I prefer PCs because I can customize/upgrade them cheaply and with little effort. Macs are great for people who just don't want to bother with that. There's no winner in this argument, it's all about what works best for the individual.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm in before the lock. I love my G4 Powerbook. It's 5 years old and runs flawlessly. I'm one of the only people who didn't buy a computer before freshman year and again before junior year of undergrad. Most of my classmates bought POS cheap dell laptops and when they overheated and got laden with viruses had to be replaced of repaired extensively.

PS: How could someone complain about Apple pricing and then in the next breath suggest an Alienware rig? To me the laptop argument really only includes Apple and IBM Thinkpads.

I run two desktop PCs and one laptop daily. None of them have any anti-virus/anti-spyware software, and I am constantly downloading files and going to sites I shouldn't. I've never had any problems with viruses. Why? I know wtf I'm doing.

To the dude that said "my sister goes to MIT." First, you sound ******ed saying that MIT bull****. "OMG she went to MIT she must be the smartest ever!!!" Second, I know lots of people that have prestigious comp sci. degrees that I can code circles around. And I have an economics degree.

Macs are designed to be streamlined. The software and hardware is built by the same company, so clearly they're going to be more user friendly and have less problems. Windows OTOH is designed to work with thousands of different configurations, and it's virtually impossible that it will work perfectly on all them. There aren't viruses for Macs because a very small percentage of people use them. Why write a virus that will barely effect anyone? Personally, I prefer PCs because I can customize/upgrade them cheaply and with little effort. Macs are great for people who just don't want to bother with that. There's no winner in this argument, it's all about what works best for the individual.

I agree with you 100%. My brother is a CIO and only uses windows machines. I used to be into upgrading and building systems myself but, now I would just rather not bother. My Apple does what I need it to. I never wanted to learn how to write code or any of that stuff. I think for someone who doesn't really want to learn about the ins and outs of their machine an Apple is probably a better choice. Either way I think you have to spend near Apple prices to get a nice computer.

PS: Apple users check out www.osirix-viewer.com you can download it FREE from www.apple.com!

PSS: I used to be an Apple hater before I opened my mind and tried one out before college. Then I bought one. The hype is true. Best computing experience I have ever had. Super reliable and stable even as a 5 year old notebook that stays on nearly 24/7.

Last edited:
This thread has become a bit too volatile. I'm closing it. Please try to keep discussions respectful and civil. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.