Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

made a stupid spelling error on secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bobmarleydude, Sep 26, 2002.

1. bobmarleydude

bobmarleydude Junior Member

Damn, I mailed in my secondary and I realized a few hours later that I spelled the word "deceased" wrong!!! I wrote "diseased!" (my father had died a while ago and I wrote that the word in parantheses in the family info section). I feel like an idiot! Do you think that this will hurt my chances!?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Doesn't help to worry now...what's done is done.

I really don't think they find just one reason to reject applicants. They reject students on many grounds. If the rest of your app. is good, then I would not worry. Relax and have a beer or twelve.

4. katem

katem Member
    7+ Year Member

i wouldn't worry too much. i noticed after-the-fact that i had a typo on my tulane application, and i'm headed down there to interview in a few weeks. several mistakes like that might make a difference, but i just can't imagine an adcom caring all that much about one error.

5. CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did so much cutting and pastoing for my SLU app that I messed up and started two paragraphs with the same sentence. I feel your pain, however, I do not think they will tear your app to shreds and burn it for one mistake. I even got an interview at SLU so it appears they allow some people to make small mistakes on their apps.
    -CT

6. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

ouch that hurts..

im sorry.. you might as well have a good laugh about it. Hopefully the adcoms will have a sense of humor :laugh:

7. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng
    7+ Year Member

In one of mine I almost put the word "principle" when it should have been "principal"...good old mom caught it at the last minute though.

8. siempre595

7+ Year Member

My Vanderbilt secondary is a great piece of comedy. I put stated instead of started, then i repeated the word of about three sentences later. oops. oh well, didn't have my heart set on it anyways.

9. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think they would have to be some major pricks for a typo in a sentence explaining that your father DIED. If they were that uptight, would you want to be there anyway?

On the brighter side, I'm getting residency interview letters and one (from the program) had major spelling errors and grammar mistakes. (Even I picked them up --- and I'm bad!)

mike

10. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is a bummer, but no use worrying now. At less competitive programs you may not need to worry. However, if you're applying to competitive programs where there is an abundance of competitive applicants, misspelled words can result in your application being thrown out. I've seen it happen.