made a stupid spelling error on secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobmarleydude

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damn, I mailed in my secondary and I realized a few hours later that I spelled the word "deceased" wrong!!! I wrote "diseased!" (my father had died a while ago and I wrote that the word in parantheses in the family info section). I feel like an idiot! Do you think that this will hurt my chances!?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't help to worry now...what's done is done.

I really don't think they find just one reason to reject applicants. They reject students on many grounds. If the rest of your app. is good, then I would not worry. Relax and have a beer or twelve.

i wouldn't worry too much. i noticed after-the-fact that i had a typo on my tulane application, and i'm headed down there to interview in a few weeks. several mistakes like that might make a difference, but i just can't imagine an adcom caring all that much about one error.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did so much cutting and pastoing for my SLU app that I messed up and started two paragraphs with the same sentence. I feel your pain, however, I do not think they will tear your app to shreds and burn it for one mistake. I even got an interview at SLU so it appears they allow some people to make small mistakes on their apps.
-CT

ouch that hurts..

im sorry.. you might as well have a good laugh about it. Hopefully the adcoms will have a sense of humor :laugh:

In one of mine I almost put the word "principle" when it should have been "principal"...good old mom caught it at the last minute though.

My Vanderbilt secondary is a great piece of comedy. I put stated instead of started, then i repeated the word of about three sentences later. oops. oh well, didn't have my heart set on it anyways.

Originally posted by bobmarleydude
Damn, I mailed in my secondary and I realized a few hours later that I spelled the word "deceased" wrong!!! I wrote "diseased!" (my father had died a while ago and I wrote that the word in parantheses in the family info section). I feel like an idiot! Do you think that this will hurt my chances!?

I think they would have to be some major pricks for a typo in a sentence explaining that your father DIED. If they were that uptight, would you want to be there anyway?

On the brighter side, I'm getting residency interview letters and one (from the program) had major spelling errors and grammar mistakes. (Even I picked them up --- and I'm bad!)

mike

Originally posted by bobmarleydude

This is a bummer, but no use worrying now. At less competitive programs you may not need to worry. However, if you're applying to competitive programs where there is an abundance of competitive applicants, misspelled words can result in your application being thrown out. I've seen it happen.