Mail problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYC Non-Trad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently moved (Sept 23) and have had a major issue with my mail forwarding to my new address. (Yes, I realize that the timing was not ideal, but this was not entirely in my control.) As a result, I have not received any mail in the past 2 weeks that was addressed to my previous address, which is what I used for AMCAS as well as my non-AMCAS apps.

All of my apps were complete as of August 20 and I have already received 4 interviews and 2 rejections, however there are 7 schools I have yet to hear from either way. All of my interview notifications came via email and the 2 rejections came via regular mail, but I'm not sure if that is the trend for every school.

I updated my AMCAS with my new address this past week, but I am worried that some med school correspondence may have been already sent out and is lost somewhere in limbo.

I am asking your advice if you think I should contact (call) the schools I haven't heard from and let them know my mail situation in case there has been any outstanding correspondence. I don't want to be a nuisance and I realize that it is quite possible that some of these schools haven't even evaluated my app, but I am nervous that I may have been sent interview notification(s) and a school is wondering why I havent called to confirm, etc.

Based on checking SDN, almost all of the remaining schools I haven't heard from have begun offering interviews, so it is quite possible that I have been notified one way or the other and it is currently lost in the mail.

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't hurt to call.

I would definitely give them a call, and ask them the status of my application. If they have already come to some sort of a decision, they won't mind telling you; if they haven't, you could ask them to update your address so that whenever the correspondence gets sent out, it comes to your new address.

with regards

Members don't see this ad :)
my friend at ucsf got in with a 30 last year.

however, i didnt even interview at a UC with a 36, and if you say my "whole application" wasn't good enough for a UC, then you can stick a sock in it.
i hate this "we consider the whole application" crap.
in my opinion, alot of it comes down to luck.
i know plenty of people who are at top 10 private schools who didnt get in a UC, it's not that they weren't good enough, it's testament to the random nature of this process.
regardless, good luck!

nuclearrabbit

Thanks for your advice, guys!
I called Wash U today and found out that I have been offered an interview! :)

It turns out that the postal service totally screwed up and didnt set up my forwarding until this week so that any mail I received at my old address in the last 2+ weeks was returned to the sender.

I had an interview today and the school handed me a snail mail version of an interview notification along with directions to the school, etc. which they had tried to send me, but which was returned to them.

Fortunately, they originally notified me of my interview by email at the same time they sent the letter or I wouldn't have found out in time!

I moved about a month after submitting my AMCAS. In addition to forwarding my mail and changing my AMCAS to include the updated info. I contacted every school just to make sure they knew my new address. I think it helped while I was waiting for the new verified version of my AMCAS to get to the schools because I haven't missed anything yet. Good luck at WashU.

Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77

however, i didnt even interview at a UC with a 36, and if you say my "whole application" wasn't good enough for a UC, then you can stick a sock in it.
i know plenty of people who are at top 10 private schools who didnt get in a UC, it's not that they weren't good enough, it's testament to the random nature of this process.
regardless, good luck!

nuclearrabbit

Are you on dope?!:) I guess you posted on the wrong thread because this is about postal problems...everyone is entitled to a mistake or two.

Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77

regardless, good luck!

nuclearrabbit

:confused:

But you're right, it's a crap-shoot! (But the "whole application" does have to be good to have a chance;) )

SMW = spearmint "double-mint" gum :)

Originally posted by chips
SMW = spearmint "double-mint" gum :)

I'm still trying to figure this one out...maybe it's a Zen koan???!

curious georges,
SMW's post was duplicated (initially), but seeing as this is no longer the case, ignore my last post.