Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Maine Law Allows Unsupervised Dental Hygiene Practice

Discussion in 'Dental' started by gryffindor, May 12, 2008.

1. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I get the ADA news out of my mailbox yesterday to read this on the front page. Obviously independent hygiene has been so successful in rural Colorado (note sarcasm), Maine had to jump on the bandwagon. The ADA News is making me angry lately. Don't worry, 3 full pages were devoted to GKAS stories about dentists who volunteer 1 day out of the whole year. Seriously, they collect our e-mail addresses, why don't they tell us about these issues ahead of time informing us on how to flood politicians with our disproval (or support if you believe the legislaton to be good) of such programs.

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=2998

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    Agreed :thumbup:

My roommates and I got that publication days ago and share the same sentiments.

jb!:)

4. pietrodds

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    When I first graduated, the ADA had some nice publications for young dentists about starting out in practice. Now that I've been out a few years I need a reminder as to what exactly my dues go towards!?! They claim to fight the good fight but I sure as hell don't see it. The part that really bothers me is that the leadership there is BS... where the heck do they pull these numnutz out of to run them. God knows we sure don't vote for them. In all the years ADA has been around you'd think at a minimum they could at least get a national flouridation bill passed!

5. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The problem with that is that there's what 250,000 or so dentists in the U.S., most of whom could care less about their local politicans, who would LOVE the concept of national fluoridation. There's alot more "internet scare tatic anti-fluoridation psychos" who do a better job at mobilizing their troops to the legislators attention than we do.

If you want to get a politicians ear, very often you need to either make alot of noise or host a fund raiser for them.

In terms of our involvement in the ADA as dentists, big pictre the ADA does a decent job on most areas, especially given the typically far less than 50% membership turnout that happens at most constituent society meetings, and getting members more involved is a priority for the ADA (trust me as president elect of my local component society I get a number of flyers/mailings/e-mails about ways that I can try and increase involvement amongst my societies members).

The big battle we as dentists will have with most any type of mid-level provider (independent hygenist, advanced dental health practictioner, dental health aid therapist, etc) is that our medical colleagues have a relatively successful mid-level provider in the form of the nurse practitioner, and to a woefully dentally uninformed politician, the quick assumption that they'll make is that if it works for medicine it must be able to work for dentistry, and in a more cost effective way. There lies the problem, our apathy combined with politicians ignorance. :scared: