Major differences between translational and basic research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robertson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the most obvious difference, I think there must be differences in other aspects of the lab.
I know in basic research there will be lots of journal club. The purpose, imo, to look at other studies that will give insight on new areas to explore or techniques to apply. But would that also be true in translational research?

I know there must be tons of other differences. I'm interested in anything and everything you can think of from how lab meetings are conducted to the frequency of publications put out. Please advise as I am looking to move to translational research from basic.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that translational research is more based on techniques and less on randomly shooting in the dark. Supposedly you already have something concrete that gave results in a basic setting. You don't have to reinvent the wheel, and you don't have to wonder whether it works at a cellular level.

I assume there'd be a lot more clinical involvement too. For example, I never saw an actual patient while doing my basic research for modeling hepatotropic pathogens in chimeric mice.