Major for pharmacy school. Biochemistry or Biological Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a chemistry major, and I'm thinking of changing my major to biochemistry or biological chemistry. I want to study pharmacy or pharmacology. It seems that Biological Chemistry is better because it includes some biology courses that are prerequisites for pharmacy. However, I found that the chemistry and biochemistry major are American Chemical Society Accreditated, but the Biological Chemistry is not. The advisor said biochemistry would be a bit more helpful when applying to graduate school or to work in a lab after graduation. Biological chemistry seems easier because I don't need to take calc 3 and physical chemistry, which will probably lower down my gpa. Which major is more suitable for me?

Members don't see this ad.

My honest advice is if you are for sure going to pharmacy school don't even get a degree, just take the prereqs and save 2 years and some money. If you are going to get a degree anyways or are thinking about a PhD probably go with biochemistry.