Major or no Major?

Started by gochi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gochi

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
H i

I don't feel like doing a major in any field really mainly due to the fact that I would had to complete some second year courses which I do not have the time for.

If I don't get a major but just get a general science degree will it effect my chances of getting into optometry school?

Is it possible to get into optometry school with an average GPA/OAT score and 3 Years of undergrad?I dont see The point of doing an extra yearif you can get in with three years of undergrad.
 
I got into optometry for the fall and I will only have 3 years of undergrad. I declared a major but then worked on my prerequisites for schools. Its still a good idea to have a back up plan in case it takes you more than one year to get accepted somewhere.
 
I got into optometry for the fall and I will only have 3 years of undergrad. I declared a major but then worked on my prerequisites for schools. Its still a good idea to have a back up plan in case it takes you more than one year to get accepted somewhere.


What was you're GPA ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 3.4 in honors chemistry. My oat scores were AA 350 and TS 360. I also had a lot of volunteer/ leadership experience and almost a year of working at an optometry clinic and shadowing.
 
I have a 3.4 in honors chemistry. My oat scores were AA 350 and TS 360. I also had a lot of volunteer/ leadership experience and almost a year of working at an optometry clinic and shadowing.


Hats of to you! You probably could have gotten in w/o working considering you're GPA is pretty good. Holy cow, I just re-read you're original post. Did you do a honours Bachelors Degree in 3 years ? Or did you have 90 credits ?

My situation is that im a 2nd year- I have gotten 4-6c's due to just being lazy. I dont know if I can go into opto school with 90 credits even if I get all B's/A's.

Should I focus on 2 more years of schooling or another year ?
 
I only had 90 credits. but I think that is tougher to get into school after only 3 years. So have a backup plan in case you spend an extra year. From what I understand a few low grades don't look as bad when you earn a degree. Work hard, I'm sure you can get your average up.
I would definately apply after 3 years, you can't get in if you don't apply.