Majors/Minors..are these ones ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rinarina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here (so sorry if this is in the wrong place) and I need some opinions on majors and minors. Currently I'm majoring in Psychology (I want to be a Psychiatrist) and Anthropology and minoring in International Studies and Women's Studies (my minors are mainly just personal interest but I also want to work abroad for a couple years before med school so I thought they might be useful too?). (And before you say anything along the lines of "that's too many programs of study! how are you going to do your pre-reqs? It's impossible!" I've already got that part all planned and figured out so don't worry yourself about it.) I have a few questions:

-Does it make me look indecisive to have double majors and minors or does it make me look diverse?

-If I were to change my second major from Anthro to International Studies and then either minor in Anthro or Japanese, would that seem better or worse? Would it look weird and indecisive to be majoring in Psychology and International Studies at the same time?

-Does it look better to minor in a foreign language? Does it matter?

Normally I wouldn't care what people think and just study what I want--I'm a diverse person and my programs of study reflect that, but I don't want it to seem like I'm indecisive and have that affect my chances of being accepted into med school or hired for jobs.

Sorry this is so long; I appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

No one will give a second thought to your major or minor in most circumstances. The best way a major or minor can help you is by allowing you to study something you are interested in and can do well in to keep your GPA up.

Reactions: 6 users
Majors don't matter and second majors and minors are a waste of effort, if the goal is med school. The guy who single majors in dance and just does the prereqs likely will be able to have the exact same career you are contemplating, probably will get a better GPA, and maybe will have more to talk about at his interview with anyone interested in the arts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^so what you're saying is, random double majors and minors in things i'm interested in won't help me but they won't hinder me either? i can just do what i want as long as i get good grades in everything (including the pre-reqs of course) and it won't matter?

Reactions: 1 user
^so what you're saying is, random double majors and minors in things i'm interested in won't help me but they won't hinder me either? i can just do what i want as long as i get good grades in everything (including the pre-reqs of course) and it won't matter?

They won't hurt you as long as they don't hurt your GPA. They could also indirectly hurt you (slightly) by causing you to shift effort away from extracurricular activities towards your extra coursework, but that's more a factor of your time management skills than anything else.

Didn't you get the memo, you have to be a bio major or med schools will just throw your app away.

To clarify, Adcoms don't care what your major, minor or double major are. We only care that you do well.

As long as you get your prerequisites finished and show med schools you can handle upper level science courses, do what interests you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app