make sure you do some soul searching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYMC MD 2B said:
Hey all! I just wanted to offer some advice. Before you submit those applications, make sure you really are positive about becoming a doctor. The whole application process is brutal (I know, I just completed it), but don't be fooled into thinking once you are accepted, you are a "doctor." Medical school is a long, difficult road, with many sacrifices and few rewards (at least initially). I have not even had my first lecture yet, and I already have a reading assignment. My classes run 9 to 5 essentially every day, and we are expected to put in at least 4 or 5 hours of independent studying every weekday, and one full weekend day every week. Basically, you will be up every morning at the crack of dawn, in class until dinnertime, and studying until 9 or 10 every night. Now, if you are sure about your career choice, it is a wonderful, exciting thing to be a part of. But if you think that you will have any free time, or that "getting in" is the hardest part, think again.

Dude, your school still has traditional lectures? That sucks. Do they at least tape them for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Law2Doc said:
It definitely depends on schools, and especially whether or not they use PBL, but your grades will primarilly come from tests, which you will study for largely from the voluminous course note-set they provide, as well as lecture slides/notes. Textbooks, board review guides, etc. will usually be secondary references and not your primary source of study, but you are permitted to learn the info from whatever source works best for you. Obviously the note-set focuses you in on the material your professor wants you to know better than any outside source.
There aren't generally papers or lab reports in most med schools. You will probably have several presentations. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I did some looking around on some schools' websites, but I couldn't find anything with this much detail.

Would you say that extra-curricular activities are as important for getting into residency as med schools? It seems that the increase in time spent going over the larger volume of work takes away a lot of free time.

WilliamsF1 said:
Thanks! I did some looking around on some schools' websites, but I couldn't find anything with this much detail.

Would you say that extra-curricular activities are as important for getting into residency as med schools? It seems that the increase in time spent going over the larger volume of work takes away a lot of free time.

EC activities (other than research) won't play a particularly big role in getting a residency -- they may have minor value, particularly if it's a leadership position, but mostly you do them either because you have a real interest, find it to be fun/social or you are showing up for the free food. Various clubs can give you early exposure to specialties, procedures and professionals in those specialties, so they can be helpful in deciding a path, finding a mentor, etc. Research, by contrast, can play a decent role in getting certain residencies, if you otherwise have the credentials. Many people do research over the summer after first year; a handful of people do research during the year, and a smaller subset will actually take a year off of med school to do research. The bulk of residency selection decisions (from what I've been told) will otherwise turn on clinical rotations/recommendations, and Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
EC activities (other than research) won't play a particularly big role in getting a residency -- they may have minor value, particularly if it's a leadership position, but mostly you do them either because you have a real interest, find it to be fun/social or you are showing up for the free food. Various clubs can give you early exposure to specialties, procedures and professionals in those specialties, so they can be helpful in deciding a path, finding a mentor, etc. Research, by contrast, can play a decent role in getting certain residencies, if you otherwise have the credentials. Many people do research over the summer after first year; a handful of people do research during the year, and a smaller subset will actually take a year off of med school to do research. The bulk of residency selection decisions (from what I've been told) will otherwise turn on clinical rotations/recommendations, and Step 1.

I thought this thread was dead 20 posts ago..... :laugh:

narc said:
I thought this thread was dead 20 posts ago..... :laugh:

I think it was dead to begin with- until I got the ball rolling of course. :smuggrin:

Medikit said:
NYMC, why don't you wait a year before you start explaining what medical school is like.

Sounds like he might not be enjoying it enough to make it the whole year. But I don't think there was much that was patently inaccurate in his post.

bbas said:
I think it was dead to begin with- until I got the ball rolling of course. :smuggrin:

I think I deserve a little credit.

Law2Doc said:
Sounds like he might not be enjoying it enough to make it the whole year. But I don't think there was much that was patently inaccurate in his post.

How can he not like it? He hasn't even started yet.

Can someone enlighten me as to how a doctor can say that they "enjoy" medicine?

For example: "I just informed the wife and family of a 30 year old male that he had an inoperable brain tumor and would be dead within a month. I really enjoy doing this."

"I enjoy getting paged at 3 in the morning to operate on a combative drunk with no health insurance who likes to get in knife fights."

"I enjoy being the target of lawsuits, bearing the ultimate medical responsibility while administrators and health insurance companies tell me what I can and can't do and base these decisions on their business interests."

"I just informed the family that their six year daughter is going to be fine. The tumor was removed without complications."
"Don't worry sir. We caught the aneurysm early enough that we can remove it."
"Oh and hey Doctor, thanks for everything."
Proven

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC MD 2B said:
Hey all! I just wanted to offer some advice. Before you submit those applications, make sure you really are positive about becoming a doctor. The whole application process is brutal (I know, I just completed it), but don't be fooled into thinking once you are accepted, you are a "doctor." Medical school is a long, difficult road, with many sacrifices and few rewards (at least initially). I have not even had my first lecture yet, and I already have a reading assignment. My classes run 9 to 5 essentially every day, and we are expected to put in at least 4 or 5 hours of independent studying every weekday, and one full weekend day every week. Basically, you will be up every morning at the crack of dawn, in class until dinnertime, and studying until 9 or 10 every night. Now, if you are sure about your career choice, it is a wonderful, exciting thing to be a part of. But if you think that you will have any free time, or that "getting in" is the hardest part, think again.

Good Lord. Reading assignments are wishful thinking on the part of the professor, especially in a lecture-based curriculum. Just get a good review book covering the appropriate topics and hold off buying textbooks.

Look, it's true that first semester is going to be rough. But you are going to get the hang of it and by second year you will be a lot more efficient. You will have plenty of free time, especially if you skip lectures and study the material on your own.

Don't panic. Third year is a lot more difficult than first and second year and intern year just blows on so many levels that I couldn't begin to describe it. Point is you need to relax and enjoy your first two years of medical school because this is the last time in your life you will free from responsibilty.

velo said:
Point is medical school is fun and rewarding...I never understood the whole medical school martyr complex people seem to have. anyway, good luck with apps.

[/perspective]
:clap:
Life happens. I might be crying on the floor in a year from now over some stupid exam. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it. I know that coming in to this.
We learn to deal. Some of us get over it. Others visit internet forums and post venting comments to make themselves feel special. Whatever floats your boat.

Billy Shears said:
So, your sister requires your permission before deciding on a career? What are you going to do if she decides to go into medicine, replace her contact solution with acid?

Didn't someone pull that in a movie? Was it a Lifetime TV for chicks movie? :confused:

NYMC MD 2B said:

Medicine is not what I want to do anymore... I want to get paid $1000 a day to bartend on a beach in the tropics. I hate woking... but medicne is the least boring most well paid job i can think of. Soul searching complete.

Panda Bear said:
Reading assignments are wishful thinking on the part of the professor, especially in a lecture-based curriculum.
This is particularly true when it's reading assignments given before school starts.

I think folks might be a little hard on the OP, though. S/he's having a tough go of it and that's unfortunate. But we need to keep in mind that this may be indicative of the school, or, more likely, indicative of the individual.

Medical schools have a 97% graduation rate, which is far higher than any undergrad/grad/professional program that I know of. I'm sure some folks do struggle to get through it. But some folks struggle with camp.

OP- Hope things improve. I think things will probably be better once school starts and you find the rest of your class saying WTF when it comes to the reading. You might find that the reading assignments are sometimes (ahem) aspirational.

There are doctors (Even people in ortho) that may work a lot, but also spend time with their families. I know a bunch of doctors that love what they do and would never change it. I think that if you're going to end up regretting the decision to become a doc, then you already know it...you just may not be able to admit it.

NYMC MD 2B said:

Dude. I'm starting my 3rd round of applications... No second thoughts here. wanna trade?

Wait til you have kids! Ha, med school will look like vacation compared to a baby. hahahahaha :laugh: :laugh: LMAO :laugh: :laugh: And guess what you get paid to be parent? :laugh: :laugh: You spend hunfreds of thousands over the years! :laugh: :laugh: This guy cracks me up. cry my a river dude. :laugh:

MiesVanDerMom said:
Wait til you have kids! Ha, med school will look like vacation compared to a baby. hahahahaha :laugh: :laugh: LMAO :laugh: :laugh: And guess what you get paid to be parent? :laugh: :laugh: You spend hunfreds of thousands over the years! :laugh: :laugh: This guy cracks me up. cry my a river dude. :laugh:

I get the OP's main point - med school is hard.

I just don't understand posting it before you have even had a single lecture. Post this after you graduate and I might take it seriously :rolleyes:

:laugh: I love how SDN jumped right down this guy's throat and around the corner. Damn! If I wasn't at work all day (actually working now) I would have lead the charge. Sorry I missed it, kids. :)

ToolDoc said:
Can someone enlighten me as to how a doctor can say that they "enjoy" medicine?

For example: "I just informed the wife and family of a 30 year old male that he had an inoperable brain tumor and would be dead within a month. I really enjoy doing this."

"I enjoy getting paged at 3 in the morning to operate on a combative drunk with no health insurance who likes to get in knife fights."

"I enjoy being the target of lawsuits, bearing the ultimate medical responsibility while administrators and health insurance companies tell me what I can and can't do and base these decisions on their business interests."

then why the hell are you doing it?

MiesVanDerMom said:

isn't the gurggling laughter of your infant child payment enough? there's a slight difference between choosing medicine and having a kid. half the world has kids...you see my point.

p.s. I hate myself for posting on this thread again

Ironhead2000 said:
then why the hell are you doing it?
I'm not doing it.

I turned down an acceptance to medical school after working for nearly 7 years in the medical field and realizing what a messed up system it is. Now I've got a masters degree and right out of school I'm making a base salary of $83,000/year with free health insurance and lots of vacation time. With bonuses (patents/profits) I will be pushing $100,000 this year. I don't deserve this. You guys are a lot smarter than me (I got a 29 on the MCAT and bombed the writing sample). I can afford a house on a hill overlooking a golf course just like any one of these doctors and I'm still very young.

I think that so many people are so focused on becoming a doctor that they overlook some of the great opportunities that exist out there for intelligent and talented people. Don't go into family practice ... its a rediculous career in terms of debt out of medical school and salary.

There's nothing wrong with being a doctor except that you have to deal with a system that is total garbage and you'll be right in the middle of it. If it weren't for this, I'd be packing my gear and shipping out to Stanford.

ironmanf14 said:
I get the OP's main point - med school is hard.

I just don't understand posting it before you have even had a single lecture. Post this after you graduate and I might take it seriously :rolleyes:

Total Ownage. :thumbup:

ToolDoc said:
I'm not doing it.

I turned down an acceptance to medical school after working for nearly 7 years in the medical field and realizing what a messed up system it is. Now I've got a masters degree and right out of school I'm making a base salary of $83,000/year with free health insurance and lots of vacation time. With bonuses (patents/profits) I will be pushing $100,000 this year. I don't deserve this. You guys are a lot smarter than me (I got a 29 on the MCAT and bombed the writing sample). I can afford a house on a hill overlooking a golf course just like any one of these doctors and I'm still very young.

I think that so many people are so focused on becoming a doctor that they overlook some of the great opportunities that exist out there for intelligent and talented people. Don't go into family practice ... its a rediculous career in terms of debt out of medical school and salary.

Ah yes, but thank god people like myself exist - for who else will be sitcking a gloved finger up your neatly manicured a$$ in about 20 years to keep you from potentially dying of metastatic prostate cancer one day? You can tell me all about your vacations while I'm up there, too. sorry I'm assuming you're a guy....you can reword this appropriately, replace "a$$" with "vagina" and prostate with...well whatever.

p.s. I hate myself even more now for AGAIN replying on this thread.

ToolDoc said:
I'm not doing it.

There's nothing wrong with being a doctor except that you have to deal with a system that is total garbage and you'll be right in the middle of it. If it weren't for this, I'd be packing my gear and shipping out to Stanford.

But the world needs family doctors

Brickhouse said:
isn't the gurggling laughter of your infant child payment enough? there's a slight difference between choosing medicine and having a kid. half the world has kids...you see my point.

p.s. I hate myself for posting on this thread again

not really

MiesVanDerMom said:
not really

well whatever but that doesn't change the fact that I'm jealous of your Bea Arthur LOR.

Brickhouse said:
Ah yes, but thank god people like myself exist - for who else will be sitcking a gloved finger up your neatly manicured a$$ in about 20 years to keep you from potentially dying of metastatic prostate cancer one day? You can tell me all about your vacations while I'm up there, too. sorry I'm assuming you're a guy....you can reword this appropriately, replace "a$$" with "vagina" and prostate with...well whatever.

p.s. I hate myself even more now for AGAIN replying on this thread.
With all the advances of modern medicine, do we really need the gloved finger? We're placing a billion transistors in a square millimeter of silicon and the best way to diagnose prostate cancer is still the lubricated gloved finger... :confused:

Brickhouse, how about we invent some sort of probe device and get rich so we can both skip out on medical school and take those vacations. :)