Making a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundoggie

UPenn Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else freaking out about actually going through with their decisions? I have basically decided where I want to go (finally decided today), but I am physically unable to write out the rejection for the other schools. I mean..how do you TURN DOWN a vet school? :p I have worked so hard to actually get them to say yes and then I say NO? I also find it difficult to finally send in that deposit check and commit. I know a lot of people are waiting for spots and I should hurry up so they can get off the waitlist...but this is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Yes, I know...those of you who didnt get accepted this round have no sympathy for those of us with decisions to make...I feel guilty even admitting that this is stressful. Don't kill me!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry; I went through the EXACT same thing. But I enclosed a very sincere (I hope it sounds sincere!) thank you letter expressing that my decision was not made easily, the ultimate reasons for my choice, and my desire to spend some time there eventually.

Yes, I know...those of you who didnt get accepted this round have no sympathy for those of us with decisions to make.. Don't kill me!

I can't....you're too far away!!! :p

Be happy & proud about your choices!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else freaking out about actually going through with their decisions? I have basically decided where I want to go (finally decided today), but I am physically unable to write out the rejection for the other schools. I mean..how do you TURN DOWN a vet school? :p I have worked so hard to actually get them to say yes and then I say NO? I also find it difficult to finally send in that deposit check and commit. I know a lot of people are waiting for spots and I should hurry up so they can get off the waitlist...but this is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Yes, I know...those of you who didnt get accepted this round have no sympathy for those of us with decisions to make...I feel guilty even admitting that this is stressful. Don't kill me!
same here. :(

i knew all along where i'd go if i got in, so it wasn't the actual choice that killed me, but writing out those "no thanks" letters! i actually did the exact same thing as mtrl... i said trust me, this wasn't easy, i loved your school, i was honored to be accepted, but i got into my in-state, and i will be back in touch with you in the future :) ok, i didn't put the smiley face in, but i wrote it with a smile, so hopefully it'll come across that way.

just go with your gut and write something nice. they'll appreciate it!

i read somewhere that for the residency Match, you can only pick places that you will without-a-doubt go to if selected... kinda makes this part of it a bit easier anyway!

Same fears here too. As ridiculous as it seems I was afraid that I might get my acceptance taken back at my first choice. I mean what if they made a mistake and then decided they didn't want me and then I had already sent in my declination letter to the other schools. And then I'm stuck not going anywhere. Yes, yes I know its all very paranoid and slightly OCD but hey I can't help being a freak sometimes.

A friend of mine called this a "delicious dilemma." All of us with choices are so lucky to have them, but they can be so difficult and heartbreaking to make!

On a side note, my boss is going away for a week and left me a list of things to do while she's gone...#7 was "Decide where you are going to vet school before I get back." :laugh:

After reading about the thank you letters you all wrote, I was inspired to do the same for my last decline. I'd already declined one school by just sending back the form with the box checked off, but now that seems kinda rude. Oops. :oops:

A friend of mine called this a "delicious dilemma." All of us with choices are so lucky to have them, but they can be so difficult and heartbreaking to make!

On a side note, my boss is going away for a week and left me a list of things to do while she's gone...#7 was "Decide where you are going to vet school before I get back." :laugh:

That's hilarious. I think it's so nice how the vets I've worked with have developed such an interest in what I'm doing for vet school.

Same fears here too. As ridiculous as it seems I was afraid that I might get my acceptance taken back at my first choice. I mean what if they made a mistake and then decided they didn't want me and then I had already sent in my declination letter to the other schools. And then I'm stuck not going anywhere. Yes, yes I know its all very paranoid and slightly OCD but hey I can't help being a freak sometimes.

You're not the only one! I got an email saying that my 'offer accepted slip' had been recieved, but I still double checked with the secretary to make sure that the system said I was accepting their offer! Only after reassurance did I sent out my declines! We're pathetic, aren't we!! :laugh:

That's hilarious. I think it's so nice how the vets I've worked with have developed such an interest in what I'm doing for vet school.

Same here. The vets I work with actually campaigned for which school they thought I should attend. Each had a different opinion, so it was kinda funny hearing them sing (or shout) school fight songs at each other in the halls!:laugh:

OMG, I totally feel the same way. It's like I'm waiting for a second letter that says "SIKE, we really didn't mean it. You suck!" Plus if I accept at TN, I still have another class to finish. Yikes!

So you can send in deposits to two schools?