Making a Programs List for ERAS Using Residency Explorer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

Just wondering about how much weight to put into this website: ResidencyExplorer.org

Seems super legit..?

Was going to add all programs that I meet the "50% of all applicants" or better across the board & then start cutting programs off my list based on other criteria (e.g. regional preference or whatever) after that.

I thought I would also add a few programs I'm interested in, but maybe below the 50% mark in a category or two for "reach" programs.

Good plan? I legit have no clue.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody.

Just wondering about how much weight to put into this website: ResidencyExplorer.org

Seems super legit..?

Was going to add all programs that I meet the "50% of all applicants" or better across the board & then start cutting programs off my list based on other criteria (e.g. regional preference or whatever) after that.

I thought I would also add a few programs I'm interested in, but maybe below the 50% mark in a category or two for "reach" programs.

Good plan? I legit have no clue.
Basically what I’m doing. I’ll consider adding some with “lower 25%” categories like step 2 or something if I feel like I have other qualities like regional ties, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Basically what I’m doing. I’ll consider adding some with “lower 25%” categories like step 2 or something if I feel like I have other qualities like regional ties, etc

Are you keeping on any programs that have 0% DOs but your app is otherwise is very competitive?

I kept them through the first wave... just in case, 'cause of the merger & stuff but, IDK whether or not to use 0% DOs as an absolute exclusion criteria. Especially for programs I would be totally down to learn more about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you keeping on any programs that have 0% DOs but your app is otherwise is very competitive?

I kept them through the first wave... just in case, 'cause of the merger & stuff but, IDK whether or not to use 0% DOs as an absolute exclusion criteria. Especially for programs I would be totally down to learn more about.
Only if I have a decent shot app wise. Neuro has a ton of DO and IMGs everywhere and most of the 0% DO ones aren’t in my geographic area of interest anyway

I’m playing this game too, but for all of the programs I fit into I’m browsing the websites and verifying what RE says. Found some discrepancies, especially in the Step 1 department. Like it’ll say my 225 is avg for the program and then the website says they require a 240 or whatever. So just chipping away at that, been doing it since I got Step 1 back, honestly my Step 2 didn’t change the criteria much so it’s been a worth while endeavor to me.

Also I’m personally not keeping programs with 0% DOs, but that’s mostly because I have weak scores. I’m trying to play it safe. I’ll float some apps to these fancy places, but I’m not gonna be sending love letters when it’s pretty obv I’m not their type.

Reactions: 3 users
I was very happy first 2 days, but after browsing websites of the 20 programs, I found that my scores do not fit minimal program requirements for 7 programs despite residency explores shows that my scores in the lower 25% (middle 50%) of matched applicants. Also, I found that just no data for 40% of programs. I am very disappointed with the "real" data. At this moment I continue browsing 20-30 websites a day with the help of Residency Programs List

I was very happy first 2 days, but after browsing websites of the 20 programs, I found that my scores do not fit minimal program requirements for 7 programs despite residency explores shows that my scores in the lower 25% (middle 50%) of matched applicants. Also, I found that just no data for 40% of programs. I am very disappointed with the "real" data. At this moment I continue browsing 20-30 websites a day with the help of Residency Programs List

I’m checking out this website on my phone so I can’t see everything but what are advantages of the free version of this website over ResidencyExplorer? I definitely don’t want to pay, seems greedy of them to do that to see average program scores when that info is readily available elsewhere.

I’m checking out this website on my phone so I can’t see everything but what are advantages of the free version of this website over ResidencyExplorer? I definitely don’t want to pay, seems greedy of them to do that to see average program scores when that info is readily available elsewhere.
Seems quite like an ad to me. There’s no way it has that many benefits

Reactions: 3 users
0 correlation for me as I was top percentile in most programs in most categories