Making Money in Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sassafras20

Ohio State c/o 2020!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I have recently been accepted to Ohio State, YAYY! I have heard that not many people work their first year but I still want to keep my options open. At first I was considering pet-sitting but I live in an apartment and I am guessing that not a lot of people are actively seeking out someone in my living situation to house their pet. I have also been looking into jobs that can be done online such as survey-taking just for a little extra spending money. Does anyone have experience with these sites? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You could pet-sit by going to your client's home instead of housing their pets in your home.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
In b4 the usual recommendations of:
1) hooking, aka call girl, or for the less adventurous types:
2) exotic dancing

and to keep this gender neutral... alternatively
1) male prostitute/gigolo
2) male stripper.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
excessive gambling. I could really see that taking off. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that if you could arrange to house-sit and pet-sit by staying in someone else's home, that might work well (if you have a car or are in a city with great transportation). I do answer surveys online for Legerweb -- they're legit and pay cash, but I seriously get just $60-$80 a year or so. I do it more for interest (and because I believe in information gathering) than anything else - and because I spend only about 2-3 hours a year in total on them. If you could come up with some type of security job where you spend hours alone at a desk watching for the one person who might come by to tell them you're closed -- that type of job (that would allow you to study or work on assignments) is really the only type of job I think could work well for anything more than a couple hours a week.

There are usually some positions within the school itself. I worked about 10 hours a week during school processing samples in a clinical pathology lab. One of my friends worked about the same amount of time as a caretaker for the lab animals; another was a necropsy tech and took in animals in the evenings and assisted with necropsy on the weekends. There are jobs as company reps that pay a few hundred dollars a semester for relatively minimal work. Some schools hire students to work overnight or evening shifts in ICU or the barns. I also was paid by my school to tutor classmates in certain subjects. I also pet sat...I let a dog out at lunchtime for a lady twice a week for three years and had another family that paid me to stay at their house to care for the dogs and chickens. The extra money is nice but it definitely did not pay living expenses or anything.

Reactions: 2 users
There are usually some positions within the school itself. I worked about 10 hours a week during school processing samples in a clinical pathology lab. One of my friends worked about the same amount of time as a caretaker for the lab animals; another was a necropsy tech and took in animals in the evenings and assisted with necropsy on the weekends. There are jobs as company reps that pay a few hundred dollars a semester for relatively minimal work. Some schools hire students to work overnight or evening shifts in ICU or the barns. I also was paid by my school to tutor classmates in certain subjects. I also pet sat...I let a dog out at lunchtime for a lady twice a week for three years and had another family that paid me to stay at their house to care for the dogs and chickens. The extra money is nice but it definitely did not pay living expenses or anything.

This is true. There are positions in the vet school. Also, there are positions for nutrition reps which is what I may look into. Remember, you are going to be very busy your first year of school trying to study, attending classes, labs, etc. Class is usually 8-5 every day.

I've known some people who have worked retail/movie theaters/etc. for a few hours a week.

Most people I know who worked while attending OSU worked through the school. A lot of people got positions in the various libraries as "front desk" help (you can study while you work). There are various labs on vet campus and ag campus that look for student assistants to work weekends and holidays.

Hey everyone! So I have recently been accepted to Ohio State, YAYY! I have heard that not many people work their first year but I still want to keep my options open. At first I was considering pet-sitting but I live in an apartment and I am guessing that not a lot of people are actively seeking out someone in my living situation to house their pet. I have also been looking into jobs that can be done online such as survey-taking just for a little extra spending money. Does anyone have experience with these sites? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
I've done a lot of survey-for-income websites. Honestly, it is not going to work during the school year. You have to spend a good 6-8 hours a day doing survey after survey to make a decent chunk of change. Most surveys pay you a dollar or two for an hour or so of questioning. I did it in addition to my full-time job last summer and made $100 or so in 3 months. Better than nothing, but the amount of time it takes you is really not going to net you enough money to partially support yourself. You'd be sacrificing a lot of study time. Plus, after a while, you start to want to bang your head against a wall. Finally....those websites sell your name/contact info as well so you may not like the onslaught of spam that comes alongside survey emails. There are tons of different sites out there and I can't recall the two I frequented now, but I used to do these quite a lot.

I taught SAT & GRE classes for The Princeton Review during vet school. This was 10 years ago, but it paid ~$20/hr at that time... the schedule was incredibly flexible (typically 5-10 hrs/wk, but you choose which classes to sign up for) and the job was a ton of fun. There were semesters that I took on a lot of work (individual tutorials in addition to teaching a class) and semesters that I worked very little. The flexibility was great, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I've tried a lot of ways to make money on the side. It's all minuscule, but whatever helps. I used Rover and DogVacay for dog sitting, I tutored on InstaEDU (now Chegg Tutors), and HelpHub. I used Swagbucks to earn $5 Amazon GCs, I used Coke Rewards for a bit but that fell off. I also used all those grocery store apps, Ibotta, Savings Star, etc but I started shopping at cheaper grocery stores that weren't eligible. I use Amazon MTurk which is just okay. Probably one of the best microjobs sites. I also use Scribie every once in awhile

Members don't see this ad :)
You can like pimp out your womb twice in the didactic years as a surrogate.

Forget surrogacy, just sell your eggs. That stuff can net you almost a year's tuition if you're considered valuable enough!

Reactions: 6 users
Forget surrogacy, just sell your eggs. That stuff can net you almost a year's tuition if you're considered valuable enough!

I feel like I actually read a story before about an undergraduate student at Brown who sold her eggs to pay for tuition. They sold for a lot to parents who thought they gave their child the best chance of being a smart kid. I feel like vet students could definitely get away with that ;)

I feel like I actually read a story before about an undergraduate student at Brown who sold her eggs to pay for tuition. They sold for a lot to parents who thought they gave their child the best chance of being a smart kid. I feel like vet students could definitely get away with that ;)
Yeah, I actually know a decent amount of people that have done it. One collection being valued at $30,000 is not exactly rare.

There are a ton of hoops to jump through to donate eggs. Basically your medical history and your family's medical history has to be rather clean. There are also many other restrictions. They won't even consider it for some characteristics if people won't be interested in your eggs because you are too short/tall/have a weird toe. It is rather very selective.

There are a ton of hoops to jump through to donate eggs. Basically your medical history and your family's medical history has to be rather clean. There are also many other restrictions. They won't even consider it for some characteristics if people won't be interested in your eggs because you are too short/tall/have a weird toe. It is rather very selective.
Oh, I know. I know people that have done it. You have to be really careful to go with a good company too. It's something that requires a lot of research, and your partner has to be on board too because most good companies will require an STD panel from them prior to using you for donation.

I was actually just reading today that if you're a guy with type 1 diabetes, you have a 1 in 17 chance of creating diabetic offspring. I really hope there's no market for that, cause that would be creepy.

Lots of people choose sperm donors based on ethnic heritage more than anything. If the husband is infertile, they want someone as close to him as possible (height, eye color, hair color, ethnicity, etc.). If they have to accept a 1:17 chance of a diabetic (in other words, 16:17 don't develop diabetes) in order to get the rest of what they want in a donor, they will. A lot of people think that only physically and mentally superior donors are wanted by people who buy sperm. That's really not what most people are looking for - they're looking for someone like them. A couple who are short and Hispanic are not going to choose a 6'5" blonde, blue-eyed sperm donor no matter how many other desirable qualities he has.

LOL reminds me of the article I saw about how guys can donate a testicle for 35,000 dollars. Though I could not seeing myself doing it.

donate a testicle for 35,000 dollars

It just occurred to me how ridiculous the term "donate" is in these situations. People are selling their reproductive stuff, not "donating" it!

I have heard that they don't always cover the medical expenses that can come with donating eggs and that the net profit is significantly less than expected.

Depends on the company, sometimes it falls on you and sometimes it's the person who is receiving the eggs. You have to read the fine print. From my understanding the hardest part is that a lot of places require you to get tested almost every day to monitor hormone levels and stuff which can be a huge pain! Also, some places are anonymous and some have interviews. Fine print people!

It just occurred to me how ridiculous the term "donate" is in these situations. People are selling their reproductive stuff, not "donating" it!
I know! It is ridiculous! I mean 35,000 dollars for that? If your insurance doesn't cover the cost of the operation, then I guess it is significantly less. People will sell anything.

Or you can just be a stripper.

I know! It is ridiculous! I mean 35,000 dollars for that? If your insurance doesn't cover the cost of the operation, then I guess it is significantly less. People will sell anything.

Or you can just be a stripper.

I know of 2 vet techs who were exotic dancers while in school......the money was great, and they both say that if you stay away from the drugs, it's not a terribly dangerous or difficult job.

LOL reminds me of the article I saw about how guys can donate a testicle for 35,000 dollars. Though I could not seeing myself doing it.

Didn't know you are a dude! Learned something new today!

Didn't know you are a dude! Learned something new today!
Hahaha yep! I know my horse avatar pic probably throws a lot of people off. I am one of the horse guys :)

@SummerTheLynx runs into the same problem because of his username. PLUS he's a horse guy.
I couldn't guess why at all, not like my username starts off with me female dog's name or anything. And I wouldn't quite call me a horse guy, I ride horses and all, but have no intention of doing much with them post vet school. Although apparently BI will be buying a horse when she comes out here, so I will own a horse again lol :p

I couldn't guess why at all, not like my username starts off with me female dog's name or anything. And I wouldn't quite call me a horse guy, I ride horses and all, but have no intention of doing much with them post vet school. Although apparently BI will be buying a horse when she comes out here, so I will own a horse again lol :p
It counts!

I've tried a lot of ways to make money on the side. It's all minuscule, but whatever helps. I used Rover and DogVacay for dog sitting, I tutored on InstaEDU (now Chegg Tutors), and HelpHub. I used Swagbucks to earn $5 Amazon GCs, I used Coke Rewards for a bit but that fell off. I also used all those grocery store apps, Ibotta, Savings Star, etc but I started shopping at cheaper grocery stores that weren't eligible. I use Amazon MTurk which is just okay. Probably one of the best microjobs sites. I also use Scribie every once in awhile
I use Rover all the time now! Would love to continue in vet school... I currently make 100-200 a week (split with my SO), which would be awesome to have during vet school. Do you find you have the time? I don't want all the work thrown on my boyfriend, but we're getting a dog friendly apartment with a fenced-in yard that's walking distance to the school. I feel like it might depend on the dog whether it's something I have time for or no... Sometimes it's only a matter of putting an extra food bowl down... Other times the dogs need constant supervision. What has your experience been?

I use Rover all the time now! Would love to continue in vet school... I currently make 100-200 a week (split with my SO), which would be awesome to have during vet school. Do you find you have the time? I don't want all the work thrown on my boyfriend, but we're getting a dog friendly apartment with a fenced-in yard that's walking distance to the school. I feel like it might depend on the dog whether it's something I have time for or no... Sometimes it's only a matter of putting an extra food bowl down... Other times the dogs need constant supervision. What has your experience been?
Well, I don't actually watch the dogs in my own apartment -- I only do traveling sitting. I think it's been totally fine. I mean, I can't do it on rotations, but I feel like that's kind of to be expected. I think if I watched them at my place, it would be easier.

Well, I don't actually watch the dogs in my own apartment -- I only do traveling sitting. I think it's been totally fine. I mean, I can't do it on rotations, but I feel like that's kind of to be expected. I think if I watched them at my place, it would be easier.
Yeah I do a bit of travel sitting... I charge more for that, but it's way more time consuming unless they're like my neighbors. I prefer having the dogs in my apartment.

I am a first year vet student and I work between 10-15 hours a week within my school's diagnostic lab. It is definitely do able. I still get good grades, have time for socializing, and going to the gym. I like having the extra money so I don't feel guilty buying groceries or going out to eat with friends. It doesn't really pay the bills.. but it helps!

Many of my classmates work in the barn at the large animal hospital like one night a week. I know a few other students who have retail jobs. It is definitely not impossible to work during first year.

I am a first year vet student and I work between 10-15 hours a week within my school's diagnostic lab. It is definitely do able. I still get good grades, have time for socializing, and going to the gym. I like having the extra money so I don't feel guilty buying groceries or going out to eat with friends. It doesn't really pay the bills.. but it helps!

Many of my classmates work in the barn at the large animal hospital like one night a week. I know a few other students who have retail jobs. It is definitely not impossible to work during first year.

:wideyed: How do you manage!?

I saw my former roommate's (first year) school schedule and it consisted of about 20 credits - correct me if I'm wrong - and she was all bent out of shape. She would tell me "vet school is HARD, what a long day, I'm exhausted, etc."

:wideyed: How do you manage!?

I saw my former roommate's (first year) school schedule and it consisted of about 20 credits - correct me if I'm wrong - and she was all bent out of shape. She would tell me "vet school is HARD, what a long day, I'm exhausted, etc."
I am sure it depends on the individual. Some people (like me) like to keep busy at all times or else they go stir-crazy. A part time job can help with expenses and lessen the burden of money a little bit. Yes, vet school is hard, but it is what you make of it.

Reactions: 3 users
UPitt has a lot of research studies you can participate in for a decent amount of money, does anyone know if UPenn has the same thing?

UPitt has a lot of research studies you can participate in for a decent amount of money, does anyone know if UPenn has the same thing?
Do you mean for dogs or for people? BI got some money for a GI trial at UPenn by enrolling her dog and I think made about 150 bucks + free vet work ups

Yeah--Medicine is more about the mental draining.

I've had success with the psychology department at my school. They're always wanting test subjects and sometimes they give you up to $100 for participation! I'm sure Ohio state offers opportunities to vet students as well. The studies I participated in ranged from taking a computerized exam, to getting an MRI. Haha I dunno, worth thinking about!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bahahaha. Sorry, this scenario popped into my head when I read this. Probably from the 2 hours of sleep I got last night.

Tech: Good morning, how are you today?
Subject: Doing good, thanks.
Tech: Okay, all I need you to do is let this radioactive spider bite you and come back in 48 hours to fill out a questionnaire.
Subject: Uh, okay.

-48 hours later-

2a6a2d879a2c4f483d5ed79d01cb18b2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! If only though....that would be much more exciting than the stuff I've previously done xD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LOL I can imagine. I know it is totally outlandish, but it is what I usually think when people say they are participating in studies.

At my school, rather than having paid studies, they force undergraduates taking psych101 to participate in a certain amount of studies in order to pass the class....

Reactions: 1 users