Making Money in Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At my school, rather than having paid studies, they force undergraduates taking psych101 to participate in a certain amount of studies in order to pass the class....
Ah, another fine example of an undergrad institution using indentured servitude.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My undergrad pays you in gift cards for participation in studies. The ones I've seen advertised were just $10.

But the art department hires students to pose nude for drawing classes! And they pay their models well. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad pays you in gift cards for participation in studies. The ones I've seen advertised were just $10.

But the art department hires students to pose nude for drawing classes! And they pay their models well. :laugh:

I have a friend that did this! I don't know if they were paid though. They just really, really like being naked :laugh:

My undergrad does that too! Some friends of mine seriously considered doing it, but decided not to. And my school also has Intro to Psych students take part in a study for credit.

I wonder if they've considered a nude dog model... I'd be my dog's pimp: get him a nice shave down, turtle wax his hiney and have him to pose for the art class if the price was right :naughty:

It was nothing but a joke. Not any more depth to it than that.
Ahh, good. It's hard to tell in print.

Actually, I understand being a model is quite difficult, because you have to maintain perfect stillness for a long time, which is not as easy as one might think.

I was thinking of making some cash off of carpooling. Charge a dollar per ride to and from the vet med campus. I can fit 7 people safely in my truck, so that could add up quick if people were interested.

I was thinking of making some cash off of carpooling. Charge a dollar per ride to and from the vet med campus. I can fit 7 people safely in my truck, so that could add up quick if people were interested.
Would you be picking up people on the way? If so, would a dollar per ride make a profit? LOL my truck guzzles gas like a cow drinks water.

Would you be picking up people on the way? If so, would a dollar per ride make a profit? LOL my truck guzzles gas like a cow drinks water.

Yeah, I'd pick up people on the way. If it's a dollar a ride per person and I got a full 7 people, even just once a day, that's 7 dollars a day, which is two gallons of gas, give or take. In town I would be getting 12-15 miles per gallon, so if I got the 35 dollars a week, I'd be doing just fine. Even if I only got 15 dollars a week, it would be good.

Do any of the teaching hospitals pay or give gift cards for dog blood donors? There's a specialty hospital near me that gives a $75 Target gift card each time your dog donates and it takes very minimal time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely would be cheaper than each person buying their own parking pass if they wanted to fully rely on you.
Do any of the teaching hospitals pay or give gift cards for dog blood donors? There's a specialty hospital near me that gives a $75 Target gift card each time your dog donates and it takes very minimal time.
Probably school dependent. We have a cat blood donor program here and it's all voluntary, with the perks of free vaccines if I remember correctly.

Probably school dependent. We have a cat blood donor program here and it's all voluntary, with the perks of free vaccines if I remember correctly.

What seriously? That's got to be the ghettoest blood donor program ever if true. Usually at least provides free bloodwork (cause I mean, who wants ****ty blood anyway?)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What seriously? That's got to be the ghettoest blood donor program ever if true. Usually at least provides free bloodwork (cause I mean, who wants ****ty blood anyway?)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I don't recall if they did a preliminary blood panel or not, but yeah we weren't paid or anything. And it was set up as an on-call thing as the need came up, so it wasn't like we could donate once a month and the blood was banked. So if they needed you at 3AM, you had to go in or be kicked off the donor list. At least that's how the coordinator described it to me.

Really truly I thought about starting being an Uber driver last semester. Of course I don't think I'll have time for that in vet school but as much as I DD'ed through my undergrad career I seriously considered it.

I don't recall if they did a preliminary blood panel or not, but yeah we weren't paid or anything. And it was set up as an on-call thing as the need came up, so it wasn't like we could donate once a month and the blood was banked. So if they needed you at 3AM, you had to go in or be kicked off the donor list. At least that's how the coordinator described it to me.

That is so cheesy!

Really truly I thought about starting being an Uber driver last semester. Of course I don't think I'll have time for that in vet school but as much as I DD'ed through my undergrad career I seriously considered it.
I've considered that, but I get super paranoid about picking up someone shady =/

Reactions: 1 users
I've considered that, but I get super paranoid about picking up someone shady =/

This is why I would only do it for classmates. Growing up in Denver doesn't instill a lot of confidence in strangers sometimes.

I've started teaching English to Chinese students online. They have early morning and late evening hours available most days of the week. The evening hours are perfect during the school year.

Qkids Teach Online

Reactions: 1 users
Things I did for money in school:
- emergency surgery student tech
- tech'd at an emergency practice
- research (stipend)
- edited application essays
- secret shopped
- pet sat

Things I thought about doing but didn't do:
- write smut
- sell plasma (got rejected due to my terrible medical history)

In the end, I'm glad I did some of it and the rest was a wash, earnings-vs-time-wise. My grades would have been a little better if I didn't overextend myself, and the money wasn't that much.

Any advice on what to do during the summer to make money? I feel like trying to get a job for a few months is difficult but I would like to try to make some money.

I've started teaching English to Chinese students online. They have early morning and late evening hours available most days of the week. The evening hours are perfect during the school year.
I also work for this company and think it's amazing because you don't even have to leave the house. I just wake up, throw a nice shirt on, and make grocery money for the week. They are also very flexible when I ask for time off just couple weeks beforehand.
If anybody wants more info feel free to message me! :)

Any advice on what to do during the summer to make money? I feel like trying to get a job for a few months is difficult but I would like to try to make some money.

I found an instructor position for summer camps at my local humane society, which is great because it is a seasonal job and I get to work at least a little bit with animals. Teaching English online is also a good option (you can see my previous post) and you might be able to keep doing it when school starts.

Qkids Teach Online

How is this going for you? Are you still doing it? I heard about this website through a friend and was looking into doing this as well.