This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jet34

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there. So I am committed to a DPT program in NYC, starting in summer 2018. I have almost a full year off, and I'm looking to make the most of it. So, does anyone have any thoughts on how I can spend my time, or what I can do to help my career in the future? If you are a physical therapist, what do you wish you could have done with that year off?

I spent last year traveling around Asia and New Zealand and I loved it, so I am trying to travel more (I also intend to pursue traveling physical therapy). I was thinking of getting my yoga certification to give myself more tools when I begin my PT practice. Are there any other certifications I should be looking into? I am open to hearing anyone's experiences or ideas. I just want to get the most out of life experience before I fully dive into my career. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I could go back I would work on stuff like stress management, study skills, and time management skills. I never really paid attention to that type of stuff during my undergrad and it really bit me in the 6 when PT school came around.