Managed care residency....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or retail? I currently am a P4 on rotations.I have worked in the retail setting for 5+ years now. I never really considered a residency, and have really enjoyed my time at my current employer. I likely will receive a job offer for the coming year. I would be working for a local independent chain. The stress level is low and you are given a good amount of help. I just finished up a managed care rotation and now I am reconsidering residency. I found the managed care setting interesting and I could see myself working in managed care long term. I am concerned that I may become burnt out in retail and regret no trying to get a residency later on. But I don't want to burn bridges with my current employer either. I also am concerned about the job prospects in managed care after a residency. Any input and thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Or retail? I currently am a P4 on rotations.I have worked in the retail setting for 5+ years now. I never really considered a residency, and have really enjoyed my time at my current employer. I likely will receive a job offer for the coming year. I would be working for a local independent chain. The stress level is low and you are given a good amount of help. I just finished up a managed care rotation and now I am reconsidering residency. I found the managed care setting interesting and I could see myself working in managed care long term. I am concerned that I may become burnt out in retail and regret no trying to get a residency later on. But I don't want to burn bridges with my current employer either. I also am concerned about the job prospects in managed care after a residency. Any input and thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks
Sorry you haven't gotten a response. My insight is that if you are thinking of residency, it's better to do it earlier rather than later because it's hard to go back after working and taking a paycut. I think there are a lot of managed care opportunity whether you are doing Prior Authorization, formulary management and etc... As for job opportunities, it depends on where you want to live or currently live. I also know some managed care opportunity allows people work remotely.

Although your current job is good, it sounds like you are aware that the retail landscape can change pretty quickly (i.e look at the past 20 years). So doesn't hurt to apply for them and see if it works out so you don't have to regret at least trying. Just my opinion.