Mandatory Video Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder how these videos will put people with some physical injury at a disadvantage. Think burn victims, for example, or trauma survivors. Anyone with a lot of scarring of the face.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Arent profile photos supposed to be an ERAS component already?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really hate this. I had reservations about posting on SDN but i finally gave in and made an account.

Seriously, what can we as students do about this? Do I email EMRA to cancel my membership? Should we all do that? Who provides oversight to the AAMC? This might be free this cycle, but rest assured it is going to be a future cash-cow for them. Not to mention all the test-prep $100/month courses that will pop up just to further prepare us for the interview trail. Keep in mind that it costs $80 just to upload a USMLE transcript... it was $60 last year. What could possibly cause electronic upload of a number score to cost 80$? That's $80 for step 1 and $80 for each part of step 2. DOs have to pay that, plus COMLEX scores.
The AAMC says this is still in research phase. If I don't want to participate as a research subject, can I opt out? Why are law firms not all over this kind of stuff? Isn't there any grounds for a class-action lawsuit? (before the discrimination suits start when white guys are the only ones to get high scores on this?) I can't apply to EM programs if I don't participate as a research subject... that should have been mentioned to me before I started med school specifically to become an EM doc. Although with all this nonsense, I am seriously considering going into another field now. SLOEs and away rotations are one thing, but now this? One of the things EM physicians pride themselves in is the ability to make important decisions with limited information. I guess that's not the case. How bad were previous match outcomes that they feel the need to add this to the process? Or is it just "academic EM docs" at pretentious programs that are having trouble making these kind of decisions? If you go to the SAEM site about this nonsense and google the physicians at the bottom who are "collaborating" with the AAMC, you'll see they are by and large representative of the pretentious pseudo EM programs that are typically implicated in this sort of thing.Emergency Medicine Standardized Video Interview Luckily I wasn't interested in any of theses programs except UT Southwestern... definitely won't be applying there anymore. I can't even imagine what the culture is like at places like this. How about, go see a patient every once in a while instead of sitting around trying to drum up fake research for your stupid CV. Since personality and humanism and all that stuff is going to contribute to the score you receive for this, does this mean that Mass General and Vanderbilt are now going to all of a sudden start taking DOs? If the program directors and leaders of the EM community really truly care about us students and our perpetual financial abuse, why don't programs drop out of the match all together? Seriously? Why do they need ERAS? New programs that begin mid-cycle do without it. We are adults- we can sign contracts. I can send a CV and board scores, free from the AAMC money racket, and come interview. There will be no shortage of well qualified applicants. I really think we need to boycott the overly-academic quackery that is infiltrating EM and start really seeking out leaders in EM who don't subscribe to this nonsense. And, we students need to find some legal representation for this perpetual increasing cost of medical education.
Lawl.

A twenty minute conversation with a hunk of metal scored by complete strangers with no medical experience and scored by a system which had been "validated" is a worthwhile comparison to four years of grades, board scores, and the opinion of clinical faculty in your own specialty.

There is only one opportunity to interview, no opportunity for correction, and the score may potentially change competitiveness for every program they apply to.

The answer for "what about bias" is "don't worry, we have a training program for that."

The answer for "what about increasing cost" is "we are very concerned (but doing nothing to stop it)." The costs will be absorbed for one year. And then forever after paid by the applicant in all likelihood.

There are always going to be hoops, but this seems incredibly unnecessary and of dubious quality at best. I'm glad I didn't participate in the original study, and I am glad I don't have to participate in the pilot. I am sorry for those that do.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a PD or APD but I am involved in the residency in a different role. I will strongly recommend we give what appears to be a stupid hoop to jump through zero basis on who we interview.

I'm not a PD or APD but I am involved in the residency in a different role. I will strongly recommend we give what appears to be a stupid hoop to jump through zero basis on who we interview.

I agree. I doubt any residency program is going to put any validity into this right away, that would be crazy since it would be experimental and unproven.

Reactions: 1 users
The AAMC has just released two important resources to assist applicants and their advisors in understanding and preparing for the AAMC Standardized Video Interview requirement. Both are available at AAMC Standardized Video Interview, or by clicking the PDF links below.

The AAMC Standardized Video Interview: Essentials for the ERAS 2018 Season covers operational details of the AAMC Standardized Video Interview, including format, content, scoring, registration instructions, and terms and conditions. The Essentials also outlines the necessary requirements for requesting an extension or accommodations. (https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7839299aa5f8/svi-essentails-eras-2018-5-2.pdf)

Preparing for the AAMC Standardized Video Interview: Tips for Applicants provides information to help applicants prepare for and complete the video interview. This resource includes practice strategies, sample questions, and best practices for managing video technology. (https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...c88-b379-a693f6565bed/svi-tips-applicants.pdf)

AAMC,

I think this is a depressing event. No student concerns seem to have been mitigated. Reviewing this, the AAMC has admitted that there has been bias detected:

"There was a difference between whites/Asians. This is hypothesized to be caused by very high rates of foreign medical graduates among Asian applicants, who may be more likely to struggle with communication in English. There was also a difference between foreign medical graduates and US MDs, but no difference between DOs and MDs." (1)

In a time where large medical institutions have declared support for foreign medical graduates during a politically tumultuous time, we introduce a system that knowingly introduces additional preliminary bias against them.

This is introducing a for-profit third party company into the applications process. Inside of redesigning the application process using the existing > 10 subjective and objective measures already in place, the AAMC is adding yet another step and outsourcing responsibility.

To Emergency Medicine Applicants: I am truly sorry this is happening without your input, or consent. To current EM residents/attendings- if you feel this process is unfair, please speak up within your institution, EMRA/ACEP, SAEM, and CORD. If you support this process, I'd also like to hear your thoughts.

All the best,

-wtffng

(1) The new Standardized Video Interview: Top 10 Things to Know | EMBlog Mayo Clinic

AAMC,

I think this is a depressing event. No student concerns seem to have been mitigated. Reviewing this, the AAMC has admitted that there has been bias detected:

"There was a difference between whites/Asians. This is hypothesized to be caused by very high rates of foreign medical graduates among Asian applicants, who may be more likely to struggle with communication in English. There was also a difference between foreign medical graduates and US MDs, but no difference between DOs and MDs." (1)

Although I suppose there could possible bias in these interviews based on appearance or various other factors, I don't think what you posted is an example of bias. What you posted suggests people who do not communicate in English well scored worse than other applicants. That's one of the reasons job interviews exist (to evaluate the communication skills of applicants). Someone who communicates poorly would also do worse in a traditional interview.

KGflyboy,

Your point is valid, if true. I do not have access to what the actual data, simply what is being released by the AAMC which does not expand on this with the exception of their hypothesis presented above (english communication).

I think my point stands though, if this represents cultural differences even between english speaking individuals. Tone, inflection, speech pacing, accents, etc- these are all things that may be introducing bias. Currently, this system uses human raters for scoring, however, computerized evaluation are going to be introduced as well.

This is not necessarily a "IMG," issue as well. We already have very limited numbers of Hispanic, Black American, Native American medical students. I am wondering how strong the data on URM differences is based on selection criteria and outcome.

Even the cultural concepts of humility, passion, "overcoming challenges," "strengths vs. weaknesses," may be blurred within interview questions. Further, english proficiency and professionalism are already evaluated and scored via the Step 2 Clinical Skills Exam.

I'm not trying to say this single thing should "bring it down." I do believe, however, that the summation of the additional time, cost, preparation, and potential bias- should cause us to pause on this project.

All the best,

-wtffng

KGflyboy,

I'm not trying to say this single thing should "bring it down." I do believe, however, that the summation of the additional time, cost, preparation, and potential bias- should cause us to pause on this project.

All the best,

-wtffng

I agree. This process is full of potential problems. I can't imagine it going smoothly. I do hope they scrap their plans, or at the very least, discontinue the video interview for future applicants if it doesn't go well next year.

"1. The purpose of the SVI is to provide the AAMC another way to shake down applicants for money."

Fixed that for you, AAMCtoday.

Reactions: 4 users
Looks like they're going to release scores to the applicants after all! The AAMC website says they "anticipate" they'll be released on September 15.

Which brings me to a question: I've always been told to submit ERAS on the first minute of the first day, just like I did with AMCAS. If you submit your ERAS application on 9/15, and your SVI score comes out the next day, can you then add more programs on 9/16 and still be in the first wave of applicants reviewed? @gamerEMdoc and other PDs, curious what you think here - Do PDs download all their applicants on the evening of 9/15 and not redownload/refresh the resulting ERAS Excel file for a significant period of time? Or do new applicants get added to your files automatically somehow?

Looks like they're going to release scores to the applicants after all! The AAMC website says they "anticipate" they'll be released on September 15.

Which brings me to a question: I've always been told to submit ERAS on the first minute of the first day, just like I did with AMCAS. If you submit your ERAS application on 9/15, and your SVI score comes out the next day, can you then add more programs on 9/16 and still be in the first wave of applicants reviewed? @gamerEMdoc and other PDs, curious what you think here - Do PDs download all their applicants on the evening of 9/15 and not redownload/refresh the resulting ERAS Excel file for a significant period of time? Or do new applicants get added to your files automatically somehow?

Releasing the scores to the schools.... not the applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's all sorted in ERAS. You don't batch download 600 files. New applicants are just added to the pool.

This is so stupid. I feel like this is a copy of CASPer that McMaster university in Canada has. It seems like all the crappy ideas from McMaster are implemented in USA but not in other Canadian schools (cause they recognize how illogical this is)

Man this is the dopiest idea ever. Who came up with this crap?

Man this is the dopiest idea ever. Who came up with this crap?
someone who needed to prove worth. and to make $$$. suppose your question is rhetorical .

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you read the AAMC pdf about the mandatory interview, it states, "All applicants to ACGME-accredited emergency medicine residency programs are required to complete the Standardized Video Interview as a component of the ERAS 2018 application. Note, completion of the Standardized Video Interview is not a required field in your ERAS application; therefore, you will not be barred from applying for a residency position in emergency medicine if you do not complete the video interview. However, the emergency medicine residency programs to which you apply will be aware that you did not complete the interview and may consider your application incomplete. "

So what they seem to be saying is, we're making it mandatory, but can't force you to do it. The potential for a mass boycott exists.

AAMC,

Why didn't they compare White US MD seniors vs. Asian US MD seniors? There should be enough applicants in both categories to give it decent power right?

I was at SAEM last week and this issue came up in a meeting where many PDs were present (it was Q&A session for med students). From what I heard there:

1.PDs are going to look at the final score not the actual video..no PD has time for that

2.They probably going to screen out those with very low scores but anything around and over average is fine and doesn't really change their decision.

The overall vibe was that PDs don't like it but have to look at it and give it some value. It's definelty not going to be a major factor in their decision unless the stupid video interview gives you a seriously ****ty score . I personally think this is a sad news for non-white applicants, IMGs, women... Imagine a random person in random company judging you from a video..I think it's pretty obvious who may suffer. And when they finally switch to face/voice recognition technology who do you think their algorithms are written based on? How can they guarantee that their algorithms will not rate an applicant with a southern accent differently than the one with a New York or Boston accent? Or those who talk perfect English with Indian, South African or Irish accents… I’m not saying this is a deliberate attempt to hurt certain applicants. I’m just saying that there are major limitations to the use of this technique and it’s definitely not well thought out.

I don't understand why there is a video/audio aspect to this. Why not just transcribe the applicants' answers and score them on the text? This eliminates any concern for racial bias, appearance, dress, accent, etc. Some people are not photogenic, bald, obese, or just have acne. How can they prevent that from impacting the score?

I can foresee many lawsuits for racial and/or sexual discrimination ensuing if they do this.......

Reactions: 6 users
Looks like EMRA is doing a webinar this Thursday night with program directors around the country on the SVI. Here's the link to the page if you're interested (the link to sign up is under upcoming hangouts): www.emra.org/students/EMRA-Hangouts/

"In an effort to improve the transition to residency process (HOW? How is a video interview going to improve transition to residency process. That does not even make sense.), the AAMC has launched an operational pilot program with the ACGME-accredited emergency medicine community to further assess the use of the Standardized Video Interview in the residency application and selection process.

The Standardized Video interview is an innovative tool (NOT an innovation-> CASPer, at least in CASPer you can type your answers rather than be recorded) that enables applicants to share objective, performance-based information about themselves, beyond academic metrics, to add breadth and depth to their application, as well as to provide residency program directors with additional information to assess applicants. (Really? Isn't this what personal statements are for? Also, Program Directors are not going to watch the video, they get a score, how are we going to be able to add ANY depth to the application.) "

Do we even know the credentials of people that are going to be evaluating us? Are they at least other MDs?

"In an effort to improve the transition to residency process (HOW? How is a video interview going to improve transition to residency process. That does not even make sense.), the AAMC has launched an operational pilot program with the ACGME-accredited emergency medicine community to further assess the use of the Standardized Video Interview in the residency application and selection process.

The Standardized Video interview is an innovative tool (NOT an innovation-> CASPer, at least in CASPer you can type your answers rather than be recorded) that enables applicants to share objective, performance-based information about themselves, beyond academic metrics, to add breadth and depth to their application, as well as to provide residency program directors with additional information to assess applicants. (Really? Isn't this what personal statements are for? Also, Program Directors are not going to watch the video, they get a score, how are we going to be able to add ANY depth to the application.) "

Do we even know the credentials of people that are going to be evaluating us? Are they at least other MDs?

apparently they are psychologists from what i recall.

Did anyone here attend the the webinar the AAMC had today on the video interview? I registered and then completely forgot about it. I would love to hear if any good info came from it.

I wonder how/if this will affect residents who decide to switch specialties... July for the video is pretty early, considering applications aren't due until 9/15 ish. I imagine programs will just overlook the lack of a video (and lack of multiple SLOEs)

Hi all,

So my video interview thing is coming-up. Is there anyone that can share their experience/talk about the types of questions we should be preparing for? Right now, I am preparing for this as if I am preparing for residency interviews. Not sure what else to do. Thoughts?

Did anyone here attend the the webinar the AAMC had today on the video interview? I registered and then completely forgot about it. I would love to hear if any good info came from it.

There's a link on the EMRA Hangouts website. You can watch the entire thing.

What exactly is this hoping to accomplish? What information is it giving that will help PDs better select applicants?

What exactly is this hoping to accomplish? What information is it giving that will help PDs better select applicants?

After watching both the EMRA and the AAMC videos regarding the SVI, it seems like each program will be using the SVI differently so it's hard to say exactly what this will be used for in selecting applicants.

They state that this will help applicants with low board scores shine if they happen to be personable and solid communicators. One of the APDs in the EMRA chat said they will probably use the SVI as a "gray zone" decider. If they are comparing two applicants and they have the same board scores, same grades, same everything, this is another data point that can help a person edge out another.

Only time will tell exactly how the SVI will be utilized ubiquitously.

That's actually pretty scary. Isn't that what step 2 CS and SLOEs are for?

That's actually pretty scary. Isn't that what step 2 CS and SLOEs are for?

That was a question that was brought up. Their response was "the video is a way to stand out and shine in a way that's not on paper"

But if they don't see the videos, and just a score then they are being judged on paper.

But if they don't see the videos, and just a score then they are being judged on paper.

They have the ability to watch the videos, but yes you're correct the score itself really is just another paper data point. I would imagine though if they were having a hard time between two particular candidates, they would watch at least some of the video from each applicant.

imagine the "review course" and cost of this exam in the future. sounds like another $$ generator

Indubitably. People asked them questions about cost in the future and of course they dodged it with the classic "we are looking into future cost of this service." I'm sure it will be another $100 fee tacked onto the other hundreds that we already pay.

So before I do this and mess it up...you can take a break between each question *without time limit* as long as all of it is done by 7/31? As in, I can do one question, then come back in a few days and do the next one...

So before I do this and mess it up...you can take a break between each question *without time limit* as long as all of it is done by 7/31? As in, I can do one question, then come back in a few days and do the next one...

correct

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone get their email from Hire Vu? The EMRA hangout said that after selecting the box on your ERAS hangout you'd get an email from Hire Vu. I haven't received this...

Check your spam folder? I got an email seconds after clicking the box and eras saved the cahnge.

Sent from my SM-G386T using SDN mobile

Didn't take it too seriously (didn't practice, didn't dress up, didn't put a ton of thought behind answers) and got the median score.

I'm [briefly] jumping back onto SDN to let people know that the CORD listserve (a bunch of EM program directors and associate PD's) is blowing up with people counseling each other to give little weight, if any, to the MVI scores. So, if you didn't score highly, try not to let it stress you out too much!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users