many choose gas vs surgery for career. but isnt rads a better comparison? thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In choosing between surgery and anaesthesiology as potential career choices, it occurred to me that the two fields core competencies are very much unlike each other.

Generally speaking, if you were motivated by localised macroscopic pathologic processes and its treatment, then wouldn't radiology be the natural complementary career choice for someone who didn't crave direct patient contact and ward management?

Anaesthesiology would appear to suit those with more of an analytical mindset interested in thinking about systemic physiology and pharmacology rather.

Then why is it that you always hear about people who did not want to put up with the surgical lifestyle and opted for Anaesthetics.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe because there is more to choosing a specialty than it's "core competencies". Most of us love the OR, hands-on work with patients, and a doctor-patient relationship. Many of use want to deal with life-threatening problems. Surgery and anesthesiology have these things in common. Radiology may have the subject of pathology in common with surgery, but it ends there.

I think the only people who consider anesthesia and radiology similar are premeds/med students looking for a lifestyle career. Other than that, I mean they are a lot different, OR vs. Office. Patients vs Not. Hands on vs Eyes.