Marian's New Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkonwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't notice this when applying for MU-COM:

Notes: For the entering class of 2015, 3 credit hours of biochemistry, psychology, and sociology will also be required.

This makes their prereq list so much longer.

Members don't see this ad.

So can you apply but then during the gap year, say that you are planning on taking these courses and that would be fine?

wow... waste of $35 dollars.....

Apparently William Carey and Rocky also require biochem... I was pretty sure they didn't last year... another $70....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't believe I didn't notice this when applying for MU-COM:

Notes: For the entering class of 2015, 3 credit hours of biochemistry, psychology, and sociology will also be required.

This makes their prereq list so much longer.
I can see that becoming the norm with these MCAT changes.

Reactions: 4 users
The sociology is the silliest part to me. I get that it's on par with the new MCAT, but you could learn it just for the test rather than take a course on it..

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 1 user
Do we know if intro to biochem would suffice? or does it need to be Biochem 1?

I took sociology over the summer to prepare for the 2015 MCAT and I believe it was the biggest waste of a grand. I learned nothing in that class that I didn't already know lol does this mean the 2015 MCAT may actually be easier!?!?!?

The sociology is the silliest part to me. I get that it's on par with the new MCAT, but you could learn it just for the test rather than take a course on it..

I birched about this requirement in the Marian thread about a month ago... Happy to know I'm not the only one not applying because of it!

You can teach yourself biology too.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took sociology over the summer to prepare for the 2015 MCAT and I believe it was the biggest waste of a grand. I learned nothing in that class that I didn't already know lol does this mean the 2015 MCAT may actually be easier!?!?!?

If the 2015 mcat is anything like the experimental section I got....I would have to say absolutely NOT.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I didn't take a sociology in undergrad. I too was lucky enough to catch this before applying.

I'm with @FutureDrB. CLEP out of it, not too much money and if you handled studying for the MCAT, you'll sail through the CLEP book!

For sociology, do they mean the typical "sociology 101" class or can it be any course designed as sociology? And I received AP credit for psych, do you think that counts for this?

Ya I am in the same boat, sent in my primary before I found out about the sociology requirement. I am bummed that I cant apply there but I am not willing to dish out 1000$ for college credit for one class for one of the schools I am applying to. I just replaced this school with a different school on my app list.

Does this mean they consider your grades in sociology and psychology too and combine them into a new form of GPA or something?
I took sociology 101 freshman year and had noo idea it would ever count for anything...

The problem with taking a "soc 101" class is that it varies in every university and professor. Each professor has their own way of teaching soc 101, and some will focus heavy on one topic and might skim over others. Taking it to fulfill a med school admission requirement is one thing, but I would look at what aamc what's you to study for soc.

The more unnecessary requirements they tack on, the less academically well-rounded their student body will be. That is unfortunate considering the history of DO schools to be more open to students from different academic backgrounds.
It's kind of silly to require those courses anyways - you do not need to take psychology as an undergraduate to do well in medical school, let alone sociology.
They will have no grounds to complain when their class fills up with cookie-cutter Bio majors.

Crud Muffins. I'm taking it off my list. I am submitting tonight and glad I checked this before I did.

Ehh.... I'd rather have submitted earlier than save $35.... unless your stats are good. Mine isn't.

I mean I guess it would make sense in a few years to require these classes... I just can't understand why they imposed this requirement so soon. Since most of us have already finished our undergrad work it's ridiculous for them to think they are so important that we'd find a way to take a sociology class and cough up an extra grand or two just to fulfill their requirements.

I don't know why but I get irrationally angry every time I read about this.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I guess it would make sense in a few years to require these classes... I just can't understand why they imposed this requirement so soon. Since most of us have already finished our undergrad work it's ridiculous for them to think they are so important that we'd find a way to take a sociology class and cough up an extra grand or two just to fulfill their requirements.

I don't know why but I get irrationally angry every time I read about this.
Yea, I really don't understand why they imposed this on the matriculating class of 2015, 2016 I understand... not 2015. I really don't want to spend a couple grand for sociology either.

If you consider an entire verbal section with zero natural science passages and biology section containing biochemistry easy, then sure. :whistle:

It will be interesting to see the number of primary and secondary applications it'll receive this cycle.

Yea, I really don't understand why they imposed this on the matriculating class of 2015, 2016 I understand... not 2015. I really don't want to spend a couple grand for sociology either.

I completely agree. So unnecessary for this year.

Last edited:
Pfft.
sociology_strike.jpg

It's Friday and I have 2 hours left at work with nothing to do. So, I figured I'd interject my thoughts into this discussion.

DISCLAIMER: I have a degree in Sociology, but that doesn't necessary form the basis for my argument here.

I empathize with those who are upset about the "newly" implemented sociology and psychology sections, but this isn't breaking news. The MCAT changes have been public knowledge for some time.

With that said, why are these new sections important? My assumption would be... the powers that be saw it fit that medical students be more well-rounded individuals.

I think in the past, so much emphasis has been put on hard sciences, that some students were focused on this alone and don't understand that medicine is a "people" profession.

Now without starting an MD vs DO argument, I would like to think these changes were designed more for those pre-MD students who did nothing in school but study in an attempt to maintain a perfect GPA. Those which may lack social skills. Rather than those who likely have more life experience, think holistically and/or tend to apply DO. Taking into consideration the emphasis on "people" that coincides with the DO philosophy.

Even though I was interested in pursing medical school, I majored in Sociology because I was/am interested in society. I think the general mindset of people is interesting, especially how people function in society, or more-often don't.

In short, I don't mind the MCAT changes. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing even more random sections thrown in.

But, I'm one of those weird people I guess who feel that it's your job as a human being to educate yourself on everything. Everyone should know how to cook. Everyone should know how to fix an engine. Everyone should know how the solar system works. Everyone should know how to sew.

Just my two pennies.

Reactions: 4 users
It's Friday and I have 2 hours left at work with nothing to do. So, I figured I'd interject my thoughts into this discussion.

DISCLAIMER: I have a degree in Sociology, but that doesn't necessary form the basis for my argument here.

I empathize with those who are upset about the "newly" implemented sociology and psychology sections, but this isn't breaking news. The MCAT changes have been public knowledge for some time.

With that said, why are these new sections important? My assumption would be... the powers that be saw it fit that medical students be more well-rounded individuals.

I think in the past, so much emphasis has been put on hard sciences, that some students were focused on this alone and don't understand that medicine is a "people" profession.

Now without starting an MD vs DO argument, I would like to think these changes were designed more for those pre-MD students who did nothing in school but study in an attempt to maintain a perfect GPA. Those which may lack social skills. Rather than those who likely have more life experience, think holistically and/or tend to apply DO. Taking into consideration the emphasis on "people" that coincides with the DO philosophy.

Even though I was interested in pursing medical school, I majored in Sociology because I was/am interested in society. I think the general mindset of people is interesting, especially how people function in society, or more-often don't.

In short, I don't mind the MCAT changes. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing even more random sections thrown in.

But, I'm one of those weird people I guess who feel that it's your job as a human being to educate yourself on everything. Everyone should know how to cook. Everyone should know how to fix an engine. Everyone should know how the solar system works. Everyone should know how to sew.

Just my two pennies.

I don't care about no sociology on mcat..... i can study it and take the mcat if I want to. I care about having to take a semester long class for something that wasn't expected...... is it ultimately my fault for not knowing which school require certain classes? Maybe. But did they tell me they were going to require sociology? Ask them.....

@iWillOneDay like I stated above man, just take the CLEP test for it. 2 hours and you're done.

But atleast now you have to take it so it's less studying for it later lol

Wasn't there a maximum amount of credits before you could not take the CLEP? I think this is university dependent though.

Not unless they changed it.
I took 4 or 5 CLEP tests as an undergraduate and most of them were freshman and sophomore year.
But, that was 10 years ago, so maybe it's different now.

Not unless they changed it.
I took 4 or 5 CLEP tests as an undergraduate and most of them were freshman and sophomore year.
But, that was 10 years ago, so maybe it's different now.

I guess I could check and see with my university. Thanks.

I understand some people's frustration about the new rule, but nothing wrong with applying to MU-COM and seeing what happens. You could love it and really want to go there OR it could be the only school that accepts you, in which case spending a grand on a Sociology class during the summer would be worth it. I agree with @FutureDrB that it will only allow you to become a more well-rounded physician.

I don't know if this has been skimmed by, but these are requirements for matriculation, not for admission. I went to the open house recently and as far as new schools go, it is very impressive. I wouldn't let a requirement deter you from applying, when you don't even have to take a class to be accepted. Apply, then worry about the class later if you actually want to go to the school.

I don't know if this has been skimmed by, but these are requirements for matriculation, not for admission. I went to the open house recently and as far as new schools go, it is very impressive. I wouldn't let a requirement deter you from applying, when you don't even have to take a class to be accepted. Apply, then worry about the class later if you actually want to go to the school.

This is a good point. Thank you for your input.

They are going to lose a lot of good applicants having sociology as a requirement. What science majors take sociology? Lol
:hello:Neuroscience major/chem minor here. I took three sociology classes: Intro, Marriage & the Family, and Social Issues. I actually really liked those classes. They had simple, common-sense concepts that were a nice break from all the hard sciences. I do think that requiring sociology before it's even needed for the current year's mcat is a bit much, though.

:hello:Neuroscience major/chem minor here. I took three sociology classes: Intro, Marriage & the Family, and Social Issues. I actually really liked those classes. They had simple, common-sense concepts that were a nice break from all the hard sciences. I do think that requiring sociology before it's even needed for the current year's mcat is a bit much, though.
Did you take them because they were required from your school?

I was required to take 9 credits of social sciences in general, but not sociology specifically. I ended up with more like 30 credits worth of social sciences. Lots of psychology classes.

wow... waste of $35 dollars.....

Apparently William Carey and Rocky also require biochem... I was pretty sure they didn't last year... another $70....

If you're OOS or haven't been born in MS and applying to William Carey, then you're already wasting $70

If you're OOS or haven't been born in MS and applying to William Carey, then you're already wasting $70
not necessarily. if your residence is a southeastern state, WCU is fine to apply to.

FutureDrB I understand and agree with you that being more rounded is a good thing and definitely something applicants should have. I just feel they should have allowed a variation. For example I took anthropology classes as an alternative to sociology. They should have allowed that any social science could have substituted for the 2015 matriculants. Either way I already applied. U of I som needed another psychology or another anthropology (just two classes of the same discipline) so I ended up with anthropology. You guys think that I should just pay another 50 and add Marian?

A lot of schools with sociology and psychology requirements will waive them for you or find classes that you've taken that fill the requirement even if the class is only slightly related. If you have done religion classes, or any type of humanities, call them and see if those will substitute.

I have never taken gen psychology but applied to schools with psych requirements and it was fine because I had taken some "gender & pysch" gen. ed class a while ago.