This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmadr02895

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

This my situation. I have a 3.65 GPA and an MCAT of 510- 520... I have a BS in biology and BA in Chemistry. I am hispanic and have shadowing, volunteering, research, and I have been a TA for 2 years. Point is, I have the "essentials" traditionally needed to get into medical school. However, I have been arrested twice for possession of marijuana in the state of Florida. Both charges were dismissed, meaning I do not have any convictions. This was in October of 2015 (20 y/o) and April 2017 (21 y/o). My application is ready to get to go but my history with marijuana is really taking away my motivation to pursue medicine. My approach is to only to schools that do not ask for ARRESTS on their secondary. I plan on disclosing everything before Day #1, even though my first arrest was expunged and will not show up on CERTIPHI... It would be really stupid not to.

I'd be the first to admit I did (And some of you can still argue I do) have issues with marijuana. I smoked a lot of it in college as self medication to anxiety (anxieties around insecurities that I have since overcome). It would be clear to anyone looking at my record that I have history of marijuana abuse. I have since purged it from my life as it has only brought me problems.

Some more back story: I have accepted to a PharmD program March 2017 (Before my second arrest). After writing a letter to the dean and having a phone call with her, she did not rescind my admission. She assured me that I can finish the curriculum...including rotations... and get get my license (FLORIDA). To be honest I applied to Pharmacy school because it seemed to me, a naive 21 y/o, that a quick graduation and making a ton of money will make me happy. However, this is not the case, I want to be a doctor and I'm very committed to becoming one. I always had that dreamer in me, but I never took life seriously enough to consider commiting to it. In July 2017, I told the dean that I could not go into pharmacy. I have since been a Scribe and have taken my MCAT. Application opens June 1st, 2018.

I am seeking advise as how to best deal with my situation. Is medicine even for me? Can someone please tag Lizzy, Goro, and anyone who can give an honest and well informed opinion. I am not new to this site but I have never posted. I will 23 when I apply and 24 when I hope to be in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

This my situation. I have a 3.65 GPA and an MCAT of 520... I have a BS in biology and BA in Chemistry. I am hispanic and have shadowing, volunteering, research, and I have been a TA for 2 years. Point is, I have the "essentials" traditionally needed to get into medical school. However, I have been arrested twice for possession of marijuana in the state of Florida. Both charges were dismissed, meaning I do not have any convictions. This was in October of 2015 (20 y/o) and April 2017 (21 y/o). My application is ready to get to go but my history with marijuana is really taking away my motivation to pursue medicine. My approach is to only to schools that do not ask for ARRESTS on their secondary. I plan on disclosing everything before Day #1, even though my first arrest was expunged and will not show up on CERTIPHI... It would be really stupid not to.

I'd be the first to admit I did (And some of you can still argue I do) have issues with marijuana. I smoked a lot of it in college as self medication to anxiety (anxieties around insecurities that I have since overcome). It would be clear to anyone looking at my record that I have history of marijuana abuse. I have since purged it from my life as it has only brought me problems.

Some more back story: I have accepted to a PharmD program March 2017 (Before my second arrest). After writing a letter to the dean and having a phone call with her, she did not rescind my admission. She assured me that I can finish the curriculum...including rotations... and get get my license (FLORIDA). To be honest I applied to Pharmacy school because it seemed to me, a naive 21 y/o, that a quick graduation and making a ton of money will make me happy. However, this is not the case, I want to be a doctor and I'm very committed to becoming one. I always had that dreamer in me, but I never took life seriously enough to consider commiting to it. In July 2017, I told the dean that I could not go into pharmacy. I have since been a Scribe and have taken my MCAT. Application opens June 1st, 2018.

I am seeking advise as how to best deal with my situation. Is medicine even for me? Can someone please tag Lizzy, Goro, and anyone who can give an honest and well informed opinion. I am not new to this site but I have never posted. I will 23 when I apply and 24 when I hope to be in medical school.

If you’ve never been convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony, I don’t really see what the issue is. It doesn’t sound like you are stuck on pot and it doesn’t sound like this is anyone’s business.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn
Hey,

Members don't see this ad :)
will it look bad that he turned down pharmacy school? or will they even know if he didn't attend

It may show up on an FBI background check even if not convicted. The further behind you these arrests are, the less it will affect your ability to be licensed. Not that it would now, but you would have to submit explanations, etc. Since it'll be years before you need a license, you should be fine assuming you stay clean. Any new drug offenses will not go over well once you start med school and once you are a resident, drug offenses--even for MJ--could land you in a physician monitoring program or with a restriction on your license.

Merged with pre-med thread.

In quite a few states it is completely decriminalized and past convictions are being erased, why not apply there? Regardless, if you weren't convicted of anything it's like it never happened -- you can thank the old Bill O' Rights for that.

For example, if Donald Trump was an officer of the law, he might think he has probable cause to arrest Ted Cruz's dad for the assassination of John F. Kennedy, but that doesn't mean he did it ;)

tenor.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Why two times though?

Reactions: 2 users

will it look bad that he turned down pharmacy school? or will they even know if he didn't attend
We don't know about these things and don't ask either

In quite a few states it is completely decriminalized and past convictions are being erased, why not apply there? Regardless, if you weren't convicted of anything it's like it never happened -- you can thank the old Bill O' Rights for that.
Well, applying to medical school is not a court of law.
I agree that OP will have stick with schools that don't ask about arrests or convictions. I'm more worried about the OP'S anxiety. Have you overcome your anxiety issues? Med school is a furnace.

As a teaching moment, getting arrested 2x and a year apart, with being 21 at the second arrest would probably be lethal at my school IF we knew about it.

Once is stupidity, 2x at age 18 is stupidity plus immaturity, but 2x at 20 AND 21 says you don't learn your lessons.

Reactions: 4 users
stay off the WEEDDUH. Yes u can debate how appropriate the law or stigma is, but at the end of the day this **** has ruined careers.

Reactions: 3 users