Marquette Waitlisting Good Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that many of you--who appear to be above average candidates--have been waitlisted at Marquette. I have been asked to retake the DAT. What strategy do they use to select dental students? There average DAT last year was a 17/17.

They seem to waitlist a lot. Why?

Members don't see this ad.

I got waitlisted and my lowest DAT score was a 20. Weird if you ask me.

They put my file on hold, and my DAT average is on 98%. I really have no idea what are their criteria for selecting students? Who said that Marquette is easy to get in?
T

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess Marquette is waiting for the responses of the initial acceptances that they sent out. They do this every year, send out "waitlist" letters and then accept mostly from their waitlist later in the cycle. My friend was put on waitlist and then three months later they sent him an acceptance.

It's a weird strategy, since majority of the applicants will hear from other schools by the time Marquette gets around to accepting them.

DesiDentist

I am new here, but I read your replys. I got an acceptance from marquette yesterday and I had a 19 DAT and a 16 PAT. My friend is on the waiting list though and the guy told him he would get in there by January.

This is what I learned about Marquette University School of Dentistry (MUSoD) from my summer experience two summers ago.

MUSoD accepts 80 students with their new dental building and their PBL curriculum. Although a private school, the school receives a LARGE sum of financial support from the state of Wisconsin. With that, the school is obligated to accept In-state applicants, 50% of its class size to be exact. So in a 80 class size, 40 must be In-State Wisconsin students (40 seats left for Out-of-state applicants).

Other factors why you, an Out-of-state, applicant may not receive an acceptance:

1) Health Career Opportunity Programs (HCOP) Pre-Enrollment Support Program (PESP) reserves 10 seats per incoming class for Under-represented applicants (minorities and/or those applicants with grades that aren't as competitive through regular admissions). This group of 10 students are required to attend a summer program right before they matriculate in August as part of the conditional acceptance. So, these 10 PESP student can easily be from Out-of-state and therefore removing 10 more seats from the 40 original available seats for the Out-of-state applicants!

50 out of 80 seats are NOT available to you if you're an Out-of-state applicant!

2) Being a private school, MUSoD receives over 1000 applicants each year and the majority are from Out-of-state. So you tell me, how good are your odds to be accepted to this school if you're an Out-of-state applicant fighting for those 30 seats!?

3) MUSoD is a dental school that REALLY aim to create a diverse student body. Applicants with Hispanic, African American, and Native American backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. HCOP PESP plays a huge role in recruiting under-represented applicants.

4) MUSoD is one of those dental schools that emphasizes more on the GPAs than DATs. Brian Trecek (admissions director) said to me many times, he careless about DATs, he want grades!!!

Bottom line, many of you may not have known this fact. Although MUSoD is a private school, there are very limited seats available to you as an Out-of-state applicant.

Hope this clears some questions!

My application is still being reviewed further, and I am out of state. I heard they send out a new batch of acceptances in January, too late for me though, oh well
hey dentalfreak, are you out of state??? And what was your GPA like?

THanks,
Bill

I am from Utah with a 3.6 GPA, hang in there because I know of 10 people here in Utah that are turning Marquette down.

I'm one of those who will most likely be turning them down. I personally know 6 people at my school who were accepted this first round, and I believe all but one is turning them down.

More seats WILL become available -- but it'll happen after initial deposits are due.

Marquette's admissions is weird, I have know idea how they choose there class but a lot of it does have to do with diversity. Most classes will have 1 student from guam, 1 from PR - I think I was the token international student (Canada) in the class. When I hear that people with 20 dats are being waitlisted - that is ridiculous!!!!

Although, I enjoyed my class I know have friends from guam, alaska, puerto rico and all over the west coast. I do think that matiriculating a bunch of brainiacs would make for a boring class.