Marriage and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I know for residencies, they have programs where they set you up with your spouse if you're married, do they have marriage-based admissions for med school also?

Members don't see this ad.

wjin06 said:
Hey,
I know for residencies, they have programs where they set you up with your spouse if you're married, do they have marriage-based admissions for med school also?
no

yes they do actually. I've filled out at least 2 saecondaries asking if you are applying as a couple and if so the name of your spouse. Talk about nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
MedicineBird said:
yes they do actually. I've filled out at least 2 saecondaries asking if you are applying as a couple and if so the name of your spouse. Talk about nice.
I'm not a meanie. I have a married friend that asked our premed advisor the very same question and she was told no. WHat schools are you talking about?

The med schools do consider your marriage if your and your spouse are both applying to that same school. I am not sure if all med schools do but I do know that some do.

There are several people admited in my class as "couples".

The Remix said:
I'm not a meanie. I have a married friend that asked our premed advisor the very same question and she was told no. WHat schools are you talking about?

Michigan is one of them

The Remix said:
University of Michigan, for one

VCMM414 said:
University of Michigan, for one
I figured it were schools off of the East Coast. That's where I'm applying and none of them have couples policies.

Does anyone know where I could find out more about this? Sort of like what kinds of schools.. state schools, West Coast schools, etc?

hmm, very interesting. i was originally going to wait till med school to just marry some smart girl who can pull me into a competetive residency, but you're telling me i can just go ahead and get hitched now and actually get pulled into school? very nice. any takers?

PublicEnemy said:
hmm, very interesting. i was originally going to wait till med school to just marry some smart girl who can pull me into a competetive residency, but you're telling me i can just go ahead and get hitched now and actually get pulled into school? very nice. any takers?

Better yet maybe when your interviewer asks if you have any questions, you could propose. :love: